PDA

View Full Version : Flying Log

Caesar
06-14-2008, 01:46 AM
This is a painting where I put a number of tricks I learned about using together:
paint tubes, knife, air tool and chalk
alternate sheet paper typeDo it on a couple of layers in order not to mess up, then merge.
this way it took really little, about one hour and just because I proceeded trial and error due to very initial experience with them.

Would You like starting a thread where we make works exploring some of the possibilities allowed more by ArtRage facilitators rather than personal art skill?

ScottF
06-14-2008, 04:07 AM
Your experiment turned out quite well! The title is certainly appropriate. :)

The idea of a forum where experiments with the various tools are posted sounds interesting. Perhaps it could be a subset of the Ambient Spotlights forum?

Mairzie Dotes
06-14-2008, 12:29 PM
Caesar,
"Flying Log" is an excellent example of
texture and how to apply it to appropriate
subjects. The bark texture is wonderfully
executed. :D

RobertSWade
06-14-2008, 01:03 PM
Fascinating image loaded with potential for future explorations. :)

Jim Walsh
06-14-2008, 01:41 PM
is the log's texture an add-on? interesting effect.

Rick
06-14-2008, 03:33 PM
Woods good, but not to overlook the backdrop.. Very intriguing..;)

damasocl
06-14-2008, 03:38 PM
Caesar:
Bravo!
Extraordinario trabajo experimentando recursos.
Si ves mi "A horse, a test", verás que trato de hacer algo similar.
Tu pintura quedó excelente.

Caesar:
Bravo!
Amazing work testing Art Rage resources.
If you take a look my "A horse, a test", you can see that I´m trying some similar job.
Your painting it´s superb.

D Akey
06-14-2008, 05:05 PM
By all that's natural -- what in tarnation is that? :eek:

That's really exquisite foliage, especially by the top left.

But what's that chunk of wood falling from the sky? Icarus's early attempts at a space platform (out of wood) that got too close to the sun, lost orbit and is plummeting to earth?

I hate when that happens.

Caesar
06-14-2008, 11:08 PM
Thank You all dear friends!

I worked a little more on texture and 3-D effect, but I see also promising light effects, Scott. So I don't knoe where next one should more appropriately go.

Dear Mair, with one more layer made of chalk and other touches I bet it can be further improved. Moreover this is just one type of bark You can get (this is imaginary, no reference). Many others might be obtained. Perhaps I'll have to try on a "bark brochure"!

Well Bob, You invented so many great textures and applied them so wonderfully that in Your hands these tricks would produce real marvels!

No add-on, ArtRage only, dear Jim. The rough explanation of the procedure (not merely mechanical though) is in another one of my recent posts with experiments, the one with metallurgy and wood texture, if I'm not wrong.

Dear Rick, the background took really little time considering it did not require details because out of focus. Mostly I had just to switch among different types of sheets and give the strokes where I intended to, with chalks substantially. It's imaginary too. You just look at stains and spots, I capture some sort of vision and You make it come out more, like for statues.

Thanks Damaso, I saw and commented Your amazing and tasty experiment.

Dear DA, look at it like a surrealistic painting to come back to something You already experimented and leave anxiety disappear. In any case I would not stay under it to discover he just lost of lift or a well hidden bird felt its gut a bit loose! LOL

Taron
06-14-2008, 11:31 PM
I absolutely love all the structures! Needless to mention the beautiful crispness of the bark, bouncing it off the screen! However, I mostly respond to the amazingly wonderful tree suggestion in the upper left corner! That's drop-dead-gorgeous stuff!!! :eek:

Congratulations, Ceasar!

Caesar
06-15-2008, 02:51 AM
Thanks Taron, such a comment by You is particularly flattering! :)
Actually, when You were away, thanks to Kahlid's initial request, I painted several lanscapes and I had opportunities to make experience and to improve on that field, also without the sheet paper type changing help.
Actually this last trick, in this case contributed too, saving me time and helping my imagination by starting from the structure I saw after spreading some colours.
There's no limit to better detail that base even beyond what I did, except that overwork should be avoided and here, keeping the chunk the only focused object, gives this odd view the required distance contrast, I think!

Bumble
06-15-2008, 03:04 AM
The texture of the log is amazing........:D. and I absolutely love the tree in the top left corner, it is beautiful:)(not that the rest of the foliage is not lol, I just love that bit:p)
Wonderful stuff Caesar.

Tinatara
06-15-2008, 04:59 AM
Is it a bird,is it a plane,NO its superlog!!
Brilliant experiment

Caesar
06-15-2008, 07:27 AM
Thank You Miladies, Bumble and Tina, I'm glad You liked the composition aimed at better communicate my recent experiments.
Maybe it's time I use them in a more complex and better planned/ detailed art piece. :)

Rain11
06-15-2008, 08:39 AM
Caesar,Looks like Hulk or maybe Big foot threw that log in a fit of anger or something. lol Really though, it is beautiful...Great textures...Also your foilage and that tree in the upper left hand corner that Taron and D Akey mentioned is super beautiful!!!:)

screenpainter
06-15-2008, 03:00 PM
Amazing beautiful effects Caesar. The background is amazing stuff.
And love the upper left a lot. Tutorial? :)

Caesar
06-15-2008, 11:24 PM
Thanks Rain11 and Albert! So it seems the top left end corner is a superstar! :D
As for the tutorial I haven't kept steps because there's little planning apart some on the bark and the idea to mess-up a bit ith paper types/ grain. In any case it's not just a matter of technical trick (some idea on light source tree volumes and tones playing are necessary too), but at least I can easily reveal that the top left more filament like foliage texture is due to the "coarse weave" paper with low pressure chalk. The rest i a mix of chalk, air tool and oil all at low pressure by attempts once You see on the paper and in Your mind should roughly be the output.

Khalid_ipda
06-16-2008, 12:34 AM
Wow...that good experiment, my friend. Beautiful painting.... so I can learn something.

Caesar
06-16-2008, 01:41 AM
You're too kind, dear Kahlid, thanks! :o
I need to start making experiments with the roller and the effect of more layers instead.

byroncallas
10-27-2011, 01:56 PM
Caesar,
You just have to pull up the great ones from time to time.
What can possibly beat a flying log?
It remains one of your very cool experiments. :):):):):D:cool:;):)

kenmo
10-27-2011, 03:32 PM
Fantastic results from your experimenting & new techniques....:):):):):)

Caesar
10-27-2011, 09:49 PM
Thank You very much, dear Byron and Kenmo!
You've been digging quite deep, in my Jurassic Era to find this experiment, one of a reduced bunch that fortunately worked in its weird conception.
Sometimes I go back too for a little revival of some lucky achievement and experiment, but I wouldn't be boring anyone else with a narcissistic revival of my long attendance here ... :p

eighty+
10-27-2011, 10:13 PM
Hail Caesar O Mighty One I bow before your knowledge of the art rage

Gear if I'm lucky in twenty years time. :D I might begin to come to grips

With it's only just found Layer's and that' a different ball game so brain is

happy if bewildered at the moment so we'll stick with the hand we've

Got and pass if you don't mind. CHIO. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D----E/S

Caesar
10-28-2011, 10:03 PM
Thank You, dear ATPlus the Old!

Actually I'm not a very skilled computer neither a software addicted, so I made just a few interesting support discoveries, also by reading and testing some simple tips and tricks from master IT mates and artists in here. I therefore added my handcraft capability to some Artrage software features I found interesting and useful provided they were simple and effective enough to explore and use. (I don't like and am not patient to learn and employ complex virtual manipulation procedures).
I'm sure You may get some good indications here and there on BobbyRay's assembled tutorials book You may find on his ArtrageUS link.
CIAO!

pat1940
10-29-2011, 03:18 AM
Caesar, what a great experiment, turned out fantastic, and looks like that would be fun and very creative:):):):):):):):)

gxhpainter2
10-29-2011, 05:09 AM
Caesar.... nice to see some of your early work.. I am surprised that you are not as you say: "Actually I'm not a very skilled computer neither a software addicted,'...you seem to have quite a bit of skill with your computer and AR software..;););)

justjean
10-29-2011, 05:14 AM
Caesar, Love those trees and that flying log :D

Caesar
11-02-2011, 04:55 AM
Thank You, dear Pat, Gary and Jean. Actually I've got a bunch of weird paintings and experiments in my remote past gallery ... Glad You like this one then.