PDA

View Full Version : Sticky!

emremeydan
07-07-2006, 05:18 AM
I first heard about Illustration Friday (http://www.illustrationfriday.com/) here in this forum, and figured i would join in. Painted this piece for this week's topic: sticky.

Unlike the wren painting (http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=10823#10823), i used quite a lot of layers this time (maybe 10-15). This, combined with the fact that the painting was a bit large (2048px wide), gave Artrage the chance to prove that i didn't have enough ram. I had frequent and long pauses of hdd activity during painting, so i decided that i wouldn't use this many layers again, and that i needed more ram (it's currently 512mb).

Anyway, the whole painting was done in Artrage, then exported to Photoshop for cropping/sizing and text overlay.

A bigger version can be found here:
http://emremeydan.com/sticky_big.jpg

emre[/url]

Netdevil
07-07-2006, 05:52 AM
Nice bug :)

baxter
07-07-2006, 05:58 AM
great,
i like the wooden texture of the whole picture

AndyRage
07-07-2006, 09:44 AM
Oh nice illustration. The style is fantastic. Very cute bug too.

Regarding ArtRage and memory...
My project this week has been to look at better memory management in ArtRage. So in a future version you should be able to have many layers, larger size, and not use so much memory.

florida girl
07-07-2006, 09:48 AM
Nice Work! I got a giggle out of this one :lol:

bleepnik
07-07-2006, 04:56 PM
Love it! Ladybugs are one of the few bugs I actually like, and this little one is very cute.

- Gita (also looking forward to better memory management by AR)

drzeller
07-08-2006, 02:39 AM
Very cute and fun!

D.

emremeydan
07-08-2006, 03:18 AM
Thank you all :D

And good to hear that the memory management is getting better, looking forward to the next version.

emre

toratarsus
07-08-2006, 08:36 PM
Eline saglık Emre. :wink: cok iyi...

sweeneymini
07-09-2006, 12:04 AM
That picture's soo cool 8)

I like the looks of that Illustration Friday. I'll have to investigate :)

grisly
07-09-2006, 01:26 AM
hehe really cool work ;)

emremeydan
07-10-2006, 12:50 AM
Again, thanks! :D

By the way, i have doubled the ram on my computer (it's 1gb now), so i guess i don't have to wait for the next version to use many layers. But i'm still looking forward to better memory management as i like to work with huge image sizes : )

e

Fashmir
07-10-2006, 06:53 AM
emremeydan- I like tihs image very much. The ladybug has alot of personality and the drop of -honey?- looks translucent and very sticky. I look forward to more of your work.

emremeydan
07-11-2006, 06:20 AM
Thanks Fashmir :D

As for the "drop"... I was initially planning to make it obvious what that drop is, but then changed my mind and decided to add a little mystery by leaving it un-indentified. This way everybody would see it different. Some might think the bug's on a wooden table and that's a drop of honey, while some others might think it's a tree trunk in the forest and that's a drop resin... And so on : )

e

Collin
07-13-2006, 02:33 AM
Hah! I love it! I recall stumbling across this one at the Illustration Friday site and I didn't even consider that it was done digitally. Excellent control of the program!

emremeydan
07-13-2006, 10:05 AM
Thanks Collin!

Meanwhile, here is a wip from my entry for this week's IllustrationFriday. The topic this week is "skyline", and what i'm painting is a somewhat stylized rooster against a sunrise-sky. But i'm not sure whether i'll be able to finish it on time, there's a lot of more painting to do!

emre

Selby
07-13-2006, 10:18 AM
wow -its great just as it is i love the expression on his face

Selby

Collin
07-13-2006, 11:33 AM
It's looking good so far! I hope you have time to finish it, and I know what you mean. Working in imitation "real" media seems to take me at least twice as long as working in a different digital style. Almost as long as it would if I were to actually break out the pencils and have a go.