PDA

View Full Version : Fish stencils (dolphin added 23 June '08)

yvan_c
06-08-2008, 03:04 AM
Hi all,

I made this fish stencil (my first one from scratch). Thought I'd share with this wonderful community.

Hope you like it (and find a use for it).

Any C & C's welcome!

Cheers,

Yvan.

Lee
06-08-2008, 09:19 AM
Dear Yvan_c, thank you! and your drawing looks like the Oriental character or alphabet ink and brush writings, very precise!

yvan_c
06-09-2008, 12:12 AM
Thanks Lee,

Glad you like it!

Yes, I drew it from a reference photo in Inkscape (using the caligraphy pen) and saved the schetch as a *png-file for use as a stencil. Very easy to make really.

Will definitely try my hand at a few more and also make them available.

Cheers,

Yvan.

yvan_c
06-10-2008, 05:40 AM
Hi all,

In keeping with the underwater theme. Here's another fish stencil I made.

Slowly but surely learning from my mistakes as I go along. Personally, I think this one is more of a success than the first one.

This is a larger file than the first one. In order to download the actual png-file you have to click on the image to open it up in your browser, and only then to save it.

Enjoy.

Cheers,

Yvan.

Rowena
06-10-2008, 11:48 PM
These are wonderful fish stencils Yvan - thanks for these! :D

yvan_c
06-11-2008, 12:21 AM
Thanks Rowena,

Glad you like them!

yvan_c
06-11-2008, 02:53 AM
Hi all,

Just received a pm form another member. It seems that some Artragers may be unsure as to how to download and use stencils in AR.

This may have been explained by someone else on the forums before.

There is also an explanation in the PDF-manual that comes with AR (just click on the help menu in the AR interface). Look under "Making and Saving Stencils", "Loading a Stencil From Disk" and "Making and Saving a Stencil From a Layer".

My personal way of saving stencils for use in AR is as follows:

1. Open the png or jpg file you want to download in your browser.

2. Right click and "save as" on your desktop or other folder on your hard drive where you can find it easily again;

3. Go to your folder on your hard drive (usually in "C"-drive) named: Documents and Settings\[your computer name]\Application Data\Ambient Design\ArtRage 2\Resources\Stencils;

4. Copy/Cut the saved image file from your desktop/other folder to the folder named Stencils (see 3 above);

5. When you open AR again you will find the stencil has been added to AR in the "stencil" category. Easy as that!

What I have done is to create two completely new folders in my ArtRage 2\Resources\Stencils folder (see 3 above) I then renamed one to "my stencils" and the other to "other stencils".

I then maunaully saved all the image files/stencils that I made myself in the "my stencils"-folder and all the others that I downloaded in the "other stencils"-folder. You can create as many different categories as you like it seems. When I open up AR there are new categories added for "my stencils" and "other stencils".

There are a lot of different ways to manage stencils in AR. I just found this works the best for me. I've even created a shortcut on my desktop to my ArtRage 2\Resources\Stencils-folder to quickly find it and alter the contents as I like.

Hope this helps.

Happy AR-ing,

Yvan.

MattRage
06-11-2008, 10:11 AM
Great stencils, I like the ink-brushed style!

Good tips on managing them too. Here's another way to get to the stencils folder:

In the Stencil Picker there's a menu at the top left (the down pointing arrow in the title bar). In that menu is 'Manage My Stencils'. Selecting that should open your current user Stencils folder and you can add the images there directly, or add folders with images to create new categories. You will need to close and reopen the stencil picker after using that, so that it re-scans the folder.

yvan_c
06-11-2008, 05:50 PM
Thanks Matt,

It means a lot to me coming from you.

I'll defnitely keep them coming. Maybe post a tut on how I make them, if that's OK.

Rowena
06-12-2008, 01:11 AM
Thanks for these good explanations guys :D

One little mystery remains - in the never ending landscape of computor mysteries :rolleyes: ..which hopefully one of you will help me solve?

Fish stencil #1 saved and now shows up in my stencils toolbox, no problems. But fish stencil #2 saves as a blank space stencil :confused:, no matter which way I do it!

So why does the one save and not the other?

yvan_c
06-12-2008, 01:42 AM
Hi Rowena,

Try clicking on fish2 in your browser and let it open fully before you download and save it to your PC.

Fish2 (size 1635 X 831) is a much larger image than Fish1 - (As I understand it, the larger the image, the better the quality of the stencil)

That is why you can save Fish1 directly from the first post. The entire original image is capable of being displayed directly in the thread. The image displayed of Fish1 in the thread is the actual file I uploaded to the server. Not so with Fish2.

You are not saving the original Fish2-file from the post where it appears in the thread, although it might look like you are.

It must have something to do with the way the forums are set up on the server.

The image displayed in the post where I posted Fish2 is just a sample or thumbnail and not the actual image. You have to click on it to open the actual uploaded image and then save it.

Try that and let me know if it works.

Cheers,

Yvan.

Rowena
06-13-2008, 12:32 AM
Bingo! thats done it, and I now have it in my stencils toolbox.
Yay, glad I asked :D

Thanks Yvan

yvan_c
06-13-2008, 12:35 AM
It's pleasure Rowena,

Glad I could help:D

cripster
06-13-2008, 09:54 AM
Hi Thanks for the fish sencils, at my school where i work the little kiddys are doing fish so i can make a few pics for them to colour in, the kids are aged 5 to 6

Thanks again

yvan_c
06-13-2008, 06:13 PM
Hi Cripster,

Now see what you did... You made me wish I made more!

My daughter (turning 10 next week), also loves AR and playing with stencils. Part of the reason I made the stencils in the first place.

I really hope your kids enjoy them. Make us proud and post a few scans/photo's of their art once they're finished. I would love to see it!

With positive feedback like this, I will definitely have to make a few more.

yvan_c
06-15-2008, 07:46 AM
Hi all,

Made this starfish stencil.

Tried a different approach with this one. The file size is a bit larger than the previous ones. Must be because it contains more info. The upshot being that you can do a lot more with it.

Enjoy!

Dany51
06-18-2008, 07:22 PM
Hi Yvan,

I like your stencils and I used one of them, you can see it here :

Red and blue (http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/showthread.php?p=116940#post116940)

I hope you like it.:) , I am a child too, a older one .

yvan_c
06-18-2008, 07:51 PM
Cool:cool:,

Also keep an eye out for a "shark stencil". I'll be putting one up soon!

cripster
06-18-2008, 07:56 PM
Cool:cool:,

Also keep an eye out for a "shark stencil". I'll be putting one up soon!

Do you think a Dolphin might pop up soon as well :):D hint hint

yvan_c
06-18-2008, 08:53 PM
Well, you asked so nicely, I might just try one.

Let me guess, its for the kiddies again, hey Cripster;).

yvan_c
06-18-2008, 08:58 PM
Well Guys & Gals,

Shark stencil as promised.

Try it and let me know what you think.

BTW, if you have any comments/suggestions as to how the stencils may be improved/changed, please let me know and I'll see what I can do. Also If you have suggestions for stencils/themes.

In the meantime, enjoy! (Remember to open image fully in your browser and then download).

Dany51
06-18-2008, 09:26 PM
I like very much your shark ...and the dolphin ?
I would like a "herisson"(in French) from the sea and from the land and
birds, all kind of birds , flying or sitting.
Of course I will try to do my own stencils but they will be different then yours,there are some abstract feeling in your drawings that I appreciate.

cripster
06-22-2008, 11:43 PM
Well, you asked so nicely, I might just try one.

Let me guess, its for the kiddies again, hey Cripster;).

How did you know :) i'm getting ready for next term lol

Also on my Macbook and PC i can't see the shark at all not sure why, and its the same as one of your second fish one.

yvan_c
06-23-2008, 08:13 PM
Hi Guys & Gals,

Here is a dolphin stencil (as per Cripster's request):). Click on image to download.

Enjoy!

cripster
06-25-2008, 02:08 PM
Hi yvan_c

Here is a little pic i did with your dolphin :)

yvan_c
06-25-2008, 06:25 PM
Cool pic!:cool:

BTW, did you get my reply to your PM about the stencils? Looks like you got it working.

cripster
06-25-2008, 06:53 PM
Yes i did thanks i had to full white into the background:o

yvan_c
06-25-2008, 06:58 PM
Glad to hear:)

Dany51
07-08-2008, 07:09 AM
Hi yvan_c,

I did some image with your starfish stencil.:)

yvan_c
07-08-2008, 06:36 PM
Hey Dany51,

Nice painting and use of the stencil:)

And the texture you used for the canvas definitely adds to the feel. You should post this also in the gallery section (if you have not already done so).

ulrik
07-12-2008, 03:55 AM
Hi yvan_c and thank you for all stencils you've made, I like them a lot:)
Here I have made a short animation using your first fish stencil
http://www.musikboden.se/musikboden.se/artrage_%26_anime_studio.html

thank you / ulrik

yvan_c
07-12-2008, 04:29 AM
Hi Ulrik,

Went to your site but cannot see the animations. Maybe a setting in my browser preventing it from displaying.

In what format is it?

ulrik
07-12-2008, 08:49 PM
Hi yvan_c, I made some mistakes, try this link:
http://www.musikboden.se/fishstencil.html

cheers / ulrik

yvan_c
07-12-2008, 10:03 PM
Hey Ulrik,

That is soooo Cool man! I love it:D

marie6065
12-13-2008, 01:29 AM