PDA

View Full Version : first post, first painting - FINISHED

emremeydan
06-28-2006, 09:56 AM
Hi there :D

I purchased artrage2 a few months ago, but didn't have the chance or time to use it much since now. Then, a few days ago i saw this forum, looked at all the great work you people have done with artrage, and got inspired. I decided start painting daily whether it's for 15 minutes or 2 hours, so that i could actually improve. Anyway, i started painting yesterday, and this is the first painting i've been working on. I spent around 4 hours on it so far, it's still a work-in-progress.

To simulate an actual painting, i decided not to use any layers and do all the work on one, i guess i like making things difficult for myself. I'm using a photo as a reference, but my initial sketch was a bit off, so it's not totally alike.

Many thanks to AmbientDesign for this amazing software :D

emre

*** The finished version of the painting is towards the bottom of this page.

Collin
06-28-2006, 11:29 AM
Sweet! I really like the bird's face. Excellent start. I look forward to seeing it as it goes along.

AndyRage
06-28-2006, 12:13 PM
Very cool painting, emremeydan. I like the detail you've put into it.
I know what you mean about self-imposed limitations. It can inspire you to greater things by limiting your options.
I look forward to seeing more of your paintings. Great stuff!

drzeller
06-29-2006, 12:38 AM
Very nice start!

When I started out, I used to have a "characterisitic" that I see in your painting as well. I am referring to the white areas between color patches.

I have noticed through observing others' work and doing some reading that it is common to paint a background across the canvas, and then begin the actual details. To do this after the fact, I have tried changing the color of the canvas to something that fits well with the rest of the picture.

On the other hand, if your intent was to have this as part of your style, then you have done a terrific job!

Keep 'em coming...

D.

emremeydan
06-29-2006, 05:40 AM
Thanks for the comments :D

About those white areas... Well, they're not intentional, but i don't have a problem with them either. Since this is just a wip, all those gaps will be filled when i'm done with the painting. I know the "painting the background on the whole canvas" trick (as i grew up watching Bob Ross' tv series), it was just a preference to do it this way, mostly because i decided to use a single layer. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Oh, and i forgot to put the link to the reference photo i used:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Superb_fairy_wren2.jpg

emre

ENCHANTER
06-29-2006, 06:29 AM
brilliant start.......i like the perspective with the bird looking into the camera :)

emremeydan
06-29-2006, 09:06 AM
Thanks!

Current progress... Boy, these feathers are taking a lot of time!

emre

AndyRage
06-29-2006, 09:12 AM
Thanks!

Current progress... Boy, these feathers are taking a lot of time!

emre

I'm sure ENCHANTER would sympathise. Ask him about the fur on his Meerkat.

ENCHANTER
06-29-2006, 09:39 AM
:lol: i do sympathise ....

http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=807&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

BEEN THERE, DONE THAT :lol: ..took me alot of patience, and quite a few hours..was going fur mad ..but got there in the end......dont give up.........

*whisper* we should gang up on Andy and 'politely' ask for a fur/feather brush !

:lol:

drzeller
06-29-2006, 09:59 AM
I tried blending small glitter into fur/grass and it doesn't work. If it were "wetter" or "gooeyer" it might work!

D.

ENCHANTER
06-29-2006, 10:41 AM
hmm.....so youre trying to 'spread' teh glitter...i might have a go at that

bleepnik
06-29-2006, 01:13 PM
Lol, I immediately thought of Enchanter's meerkat when you said that, emre, but it looks like you've been made well aware of it already. =) Welcome to the forums, this is a lovely little wren. I also really like the bird's pose.

- Gita

emremeydan
07-02-2006, 09:41 PM
Thanks Gita.

That meerkat sure has a lot of fur Enchanter, and you rendered it great!

As for me... Well, at some point, i decided that painting every single feather was unnecessary detail for the bird (and also distracting), so i smeared all those strokes to get a smoother look while still trying to maintain the feather-ish texture. The dry brush tool is especially useful for this purpose.

Anyway, i think i'm going to call this one finished. I could go on working on it forever, but i guess i have to stop at some point. As this is my first serious painting, i will let go off the mistakes.

I used photoshop at the end to adjust the color/contrast balance and overlay the text.

In case anyone wants to see it bigger, grab it here :
http://emremeydan.com/wren_final_01.jpg

emre

AndyRage
07-02-2006, 09:53 PM
That is astounding. Brilliant. What a fantastic piece, emremeydan.

Aged P
07-02-2006, 11:02 PM
Hi Emre,

Brilliant, a Wren with attitude! That is great painting.

I also checked out the rest of your web site.
What a multi-talented person you are.

drzeller
07-03-2006, 01:44 AM
Great personality! I can see that picture on the side of a mug at our favorite bird food store with some humorous message beneath it.

We should have a contest for the right caption!

D.

ENCHANTER
07-03-2006, 08:05 AM
well done ...looks finished to me.....wonderful painting

'bird on a wire' ..i think should be on the list for the next set of pictures on the artrage home page :D

by the way isaw your website too...i love the childrens illustration..the cat with balloon :D

bleepnik
07-03-2006, 03:40 PM
Anybody else think this little guy could hang out with the GoodFeathers? "Wha, joo wanna piece o' me? Fuggedaboudit!" Well, I guess that's my contest entry. =]

emre, this is a really beautiful painting. I agree with your decision, in the end, to smear the individual brush strokes and then use the dry brush to give the end result feather-texture. It's really just a wonderful little piece, and a very very charming, endearing, little bird. Thanks for sharing it with us!

- Gita

emremeydan
07-03-2006, 11:05 PM
Thanks for the comments Andy! And a second "thanks" goes for the software. It feels so natural that for the most part, i can just use the tools without worrying about how they will perform.

Aged P, thank you. As for my site, i'm going to update it one of these days to add my newer works, i haven't updated it since early winter.

Drzeller, you're right, it does have that feeling, and in fact maybe i should put it on a mug : ) Thanks.

Thanks Enchanter. Your meerkat would also be in that queue for homepage pics. About that cat with the balloon, it was my first digital painting (not that i have done any real-life painting), done in Painter Essentials (that came bundled with my tablet) and i had used lots of layers, which was one of the reasons i decided to use only one layer for this wren painting. Looking at it again after six months, it looks a little amateur, for example the legs are a bit short. But i guess being able to see the mistakes in early works is a sign of improvement.

Gita, yes, it somehow came out looking angry, as if it has rage issues. It's a tough wren : ) Thanks.

emre