PDA

View Full Version : my first attempt

HEKIM
04-27-2008, 12:03 PM
this is my first pic using artrage, i'm painting someones dog as a thank you for my new graphics tablet which they gave me the money for! think i'll look at this for a few days before i do anything else to it because i'm wary of overworking it. i'll then need to find out what papers/stock are available to print on which will be suitable for the subject matter i guess. all comments suggestions are welcome ;)
regards

RobertSWade
04-27-2008, 01:12 PM
Really well done Hekim. :)

Awesomeoclock
04-27-2008, 01:48 PM
ARRRAW.

unrooolie
04-27-2008, 04:20 PM
WOW great job cute doggie

Caesar
04-27-2008, 07:44 PM
Great portrait and quite a serious dog! :lol:

ENCHANTER
04-27-2008, 09:27 PM
so far so good :D

HEKIM
04-28-2008, 11:29 AM
thank you all. i've played around a little with the ear on the right will post an update soon, loving the artrage software, a smudging tool would be excellent - does anyone have a trick up their sleeve for achieving that at the moment please?
regards

Rowena
04-29-2008, 06:01 AM
Adorable dog painting :D

I'm no expert but did you try the soft palette knife option for smudging with?

ScottF
04-29-2008, 06:22 AM
Great looking dog! I love the eyes. As far as smudging, have you tried the soft palette knife. In other threads some have suggested using a dry brush. Take a look around.

HEKIM
04-29-2008, 09:26 AM
thanks for the dry brush tip for blending, it seems very useful. i'd tried the palette knife to smudge with ok results i guess, when using conventional mediums i'm always using my fingers to smudge etc. its an enjoyable learning curve adapting to a new medium and new techniques anyway :)
regards

Fashmir
04-29-2008, 09:40 AM
HEKIM- This is very nice. I am sure your friend will be very pleased. My only critique is to suggest a little more liquid shine in the eyes. Don't be afraid to go very bright with a couple of small highlights to really make the eyes wet and deep. A little more dark at the bottoms where the eye rolls under the lids would be another possibility for improvement. It's all just opinion. I love what you've done.

Jason Niemier
04-30-2008, 01:14 PM
My first piece I call it LET IT RAIN

HEKIM
05-01-2008, 07:17 AM
quite pleased with my first artrage painting considering i never paint animals lol. don't think i'll do anything else to it now, i've given the eyes a little attention and also the right ear sits a bit more comfortably to my eye, i blurred/smudged some edges to give the painting a little more depth. i'm looking at printing it on canvas or an interesting textured stock maybe.
thanks for the helpful tips/comments, now for the next project :)
regards