PDA

View Full Version : New to ArtRage

DigitalSoapbox
04-27-2008, 07:41 AM
I picked up ArtRage at the NY ComicCon from the SmithMicro booth. After I was done harassing them about the lack of support for MangaStudio, ArtRage caught my eye and, given the price, I figured it couldn't hurt to give it a try.

I have a potential freelance illustration gig coming up and it involves drawing fantasy-type scenes; I've never done that kind of work before - fantasy isn't really my thing - but drawing is drawing, and with new stuff to draw I thought I'd draw it in a new package so I could see if it would be useful in the future.

Short answer: yes! But the program really needs better (more accurate?) pressure sensitivity and a non-oil brush so that it's easier to simulate a traditional inking process.

Anyway, here's what I've come up with so far. Never drawn a dragon before, but it didn't come out too bad...though for the time being, because of the brush limitations (and why the heck are brushes resolution-dependent?!) I guess it's back to either waiting for Manga Studio to get a Vista update or SketchBook Pro, which doesn't allow canvas rotation (lame!)...

AndyRage
04-27-2008, 08:41 AM
That's a seriously cool dragon.
For a better inking tool, try the marker pen with the 'Art Pen' option on, with softness set to full.

DigitalSoapbox
04-27-2008, 09:06 AM
Thanks Andy! I'll give it a whirl.

ENCHANTER
04-27-2008, 09:36 PM
oh yes !

cool dragon :D

HEKIM
04-28-2008, 02:05 PM
looking good so far nick, fantasy art is not my thing either but you may find this directory of fantasy artists and illustrators good for reference ;)
fantasy-artists.co.uk

DigitalSoapbox
04-30-2008, 09:26 AM
Hekim,

Thanks! I ended up giving up on the inking of the dragon in ArtRage - after playing with Andy's suggestion it actually ended up looking TOO much like a real ink pen, and I needed a more animation-type look.

BUT, I did end up using for my bi-annual, test-if-I've-improved self-portrait. So, for a more realistic style, ArtRage had no problem nailing it on the first try.

Very cool little program...that desperately needs user brush presets. I switch between brush sizes pretty often, and having to remember the settings or write them down kinda eliminates one of the benefits of doing digital inking - my traditional, real-world brushes remember their sizes :).