PDA

View Full Version : Sunflower - tips needed

prabinpebam
04-25-2008, 10:26 AM
I'm trying to make a sunflower. I don't know which brush stroke will give a better result. Here's what I've been trying to do. The area marked 1 was painted using brush strokes parallel to the curves of the petals.
Area 2 was painted by using tiny circular brush strokes as indicated.
The dilema here is I'm not able to preserve details if I use circular brushstrokes but it gives a softer look which is absent in the first technique. How should I approach this issue.

RobertSWade
04-25-2008, 03:18 PM
My friend, it's not a question of which approach is right ... either is equally acceptable. Painting is not about reproducing a photographic realism but rather about creating an impression that comes from the mind of the artist. There are probably a thousand small variations between the two examples you've shown here. Which variation/approach is the correct one is entirely up to you to decide. To put it another way ... don't approach your art from the point of having everyone say that that is the proper way to ... paint a sunflower for example. Project yourself onto the sunflower in such a way as to make it YOUR sunflower. Just my humble opinion. :)

prabinpebam
04-25-2008, 05:30 PM
Truly said Robert!! Thanks.
But what I'm confused about here is not about producing a photographic realism. OK, let me rephrase my query.

How can I achieve a soft look to my petals while I maintain the details also?
Because that's what I've in mind but not able to reproduce on the canvas.

RobertSWade
04-25-2008, 07:13 PM
Well ... i suppose you could try something like using the airbrush and then adding detail on top of that ... maybe even on a different layer. The palette knife can also give some interesting results for softening. Another thing you can try is to use the brush with maximum pressure but no loading. It's a wonderfully varied toolbox with so many possibilities. :)

ScottF
04-26-2008, 05:26 AM
IŽd try laying down the color on one layer, adding the details on another layer. Just a thought.

screenpainter
04-26-2008, 03:18 PM
I like both of the different styles. :D It looks like you could achieve more detail with no. 2. :D

DoodLS
04-29-2008, 07:41 AM
In a similar work I laid down the paint 'bit thick kind of like Area 2, and then used the palette knife edged to get the linear flow along the pentants. Experiment with pressure - depends on how thick the oils are after the circles and the roughness of the papertexture. - DoodLS

Fashmir
04-29-2008, 12:01 PM
prabinpebam- Hello, I don't think I have greeted you before. I'm glad you are here. I have a little tutorial I whipped up in response to your query as the question of blending technique comes up fairly often.

One thing that is important for readers to understand about the tutorial is that I am assuming the use of a stylus and tablet *not* a mouse. I understand that there are many who have not yet purchased a tablet and the costs may be hard to justify but I can't state strongly enough my opinion that for digital artwork a stylus and tablet are of supreme importance. That said I hope you can find this useful.

There is a Larger Version posted HERE (http://www.fashmir.com/AR_Forum/Tutorials/Sunflower-Technique.jpg).

prabinpebam
04-29-2008, 12:07 PM
Hi Fashmir!!
Thanks a lot for the tutorial. I'm still new to this forum and didn't know people were so helpful. Thank you so much again for the tutorial. I loved the effect you produce using that technique. I'm using a mouse but I'll try it out and post the work when it's finished in the gallery.