PDA

View Full Version : Zeus versus Kronos

ENCHANTER
06-22-2006, 07:03 AM
i have posted this in the Gallery........and i did get some suggestions......but i think i'll post it here.....for some further C and C.

Ive given more form to the figures.(the ones ive done before the poses were not possible).....i couldnt find any reference poses on the net.so i asked my partner to take some pictures of me doing the poses :oops:

and no..i will not post those photos :oops: :)

Hypnomedi
06-22-2006, 07:23 AM
Landscape is OK.
Can't wait to see the figures in detail.
Something I hope I can paint also in the future!

Johan

ENCHANTER
06-22-2006, 08:36 AM
block in the body colours......

drzeller
06-22-2006, 09:18 AM
Hi, Enchanter. The only that crosses my mind is that the figures come close to filling the frame. There is very little room above and to the right of them. That makes it feel a little cramped - like you want to "zoom out" a little.

D.

ENCHANTER
06-22-2006, 09:40 AM
Hi D....

I wanted the figures to be imposing...since they were Greek Gods
and i tried playing around with the positioning and sizes, also i tried not to put both figures near the centre of the painting.....i dont know how easy its going to be to try and move them

maybe next time i paint the figures first and then do the background ...

thanks for your comment

ENCHANTER
06-22-2006, 10:19 AM
i didnt like the tonal values in the previous picture, so i changed them

AndyRage
06-22-2006, 10:22 AM
Are you going to put something in the foreground to give the characters a sense of scale?
From your comments I'm assuming they're bigger than us mere mortals.

drzeller
06-22-2006, 12:22 PM
Are you going to put something in the foreground to give the characters a sense of scale?
From your comments I'm assuming they're bigger than us mere mortals.

Perhaps a meerkat on a log?! :D

D.

sbug51
06-22-2006, 08:19 PM
Hey ENCHANTER! whats up!
well my critics would be as follows ;) listen dude! these are lots of comments i only want you to do them better, nothing else! so please please no hard feelings okay :)

the backgroun is great, i love your clouds..backgrounds aren't my type of speciality, but figures!

well, you see your character to the right the length of its body is too long, like the stomach is two abs longer, if it is going to make this pose, you'll need him to be lower, cause his legs are spread open more than other character (lets call the character with spear S)(and the character to the right K for taekwondo stances ;))anyway your S is at a higher stance than the K character, and the S character is shorter? though it should be higher..also the length of the K character's right arm should be a little bit more longer, if you want it to have his right arm to be in front of his chest, well, then he has an opening to the side of his head, the point of this arm is to protect his head, and if he is on the defence stance, he should be supporting his weight on the left leg, cause this seems as if he is off balance like about to fall to the front, better if you have him at equal distance for both legs(the center of gravity should be in middle, for a neutral fighting position), i'll post you images later when i get the time, to show you how to make a proper stance, for defense and offense,(but i'll need a reminder if you need pictures and stuff ;))

now for the S character, is he trying to throw a spear? or trying to stab him, either cases, S should be turning his chest more to his right side, like showing a little of his back to his opponent (K) and the left to be extended, cause having the left arm bent shows that he isn't concentrating on his attack, like it is only a minor damage and frustrated attack, and is it a spear? cause it looks like it is behind his head, cause he'll defentily hit himself with it (i dont like the greek methodology, so if it is something else other than a spear, dont blame me :D) also the balance of the head should be in the middle or supported at something(i mean at a leg and to have a head supported is to look infront of him not to the sky), cause he looks like he is going to fall back, or at a motion of going back to make a hit, and he tripped to a small rock in the grass.. what makes the head look like he is looking up, is that his chest is raised up a lot, didn't it hurt you to make these poses cause they are like... wrong, if you try to make such a pose, you'll have some pain, a right pose is not to have pain in your stance the opening of the legs of K is better than of S.. judging from your z14_a.jpg he looks like he is going to make a long throw at him, but only if you had more space in the picture, it would make sense, but it is a small picture, and they do look like huge, so they should have a lower stances to support each others attack and defence.....

did i make any sense? if not then disregard what i said :) i hope that i helped i really do :oops:

ENCHANTER
06-23-2006, 11:05 AM
andy: ive been thinking about how to show the scale...maybe a temple or soemthing like that

drzeller: i fyou look closely at the mountian peak you can just about make out a monkey holding and raising up a lion cub ........... :)

sbug51: thanks for the essay :lol: , ive just started reading it ...will get back to you when i finished

ENCHANTER
06-23-2006, 01:20 PM
ive shortened the guy on the right.........but kept everything else for the moment...this is what i sort of had in mind..........

AndyRage
06-23-2006, 05:56 PM
Oh yes, that will be suitably epic!

sbug51
06-23-2006, 06:51 PM
:D sorry my essay was long and useless wasn't it :) best of luck enchanter!

ENCHANTER
06-23-2006, 07:32 PM
Hey Sbug......no it wasnt useless.....there wasnt something quite right about my pic and you pointed it out.......ive seen your drawings and paintings so i know that you understand what youre talking about......ok....so my greek gods are not into twkando :lol: (i think they just used lighting strikes, to knock people out :lol: )....but you were right about the stance and the length of the torso.so i took that into consideration

:)

ingie01
06-26-2006, 05:17 AM
Enchanter,Dynamics is the key to successful action paintings .The eye of the viewer is going to follow and look for guides or leads to the painting.
If you provide diagonals through action poses and liner perspective(smaller as things recede into the background) usually this gets a good response. Color is a whole other aspect which uses the viewers emotional response to value, hue contrast.

ENCHANTER
07-16-2006, 12:05 PM
I know i posted this in the gallery,but i thought i do it here as well,

C and C welcome for the finished piece!

drzeller
07-17-2006, 04:12 AM
Wow... you really changed this! The feeling of the painting is very different than I expected... very good, just different!

What made you change to the larger human images? Just hazarding a guess, but was getting the smaller figures looking good with appropriate level of detail a bit more than you wanted to do right now?

D.

ENCHANTER
07-17-2006, 04:54 AM
Thanks D,

I was trying to portray the Father and Son Gods , so instead of gving them, and showing the whole body, I instead opted for the 'they are huge and in a different dimension to us' look.

Thus the cloud/around their lower bodies.

My initial idea was to have Father and Son as the largest size, then Kronos children 'the titans' smaller than them, but still large, then humans fighting for the gods they believe in, on the ground............a bit too much for me at this moment.......so maybe oneday in the future :)

cheers

damasocl
02-02-2007, 03:45 PM
Dear ENCHANTER:
El fondo de la escena es genial, muy bien lograda...
Las figuras: entiendo que son imágenes de ánforas griegas, pero creo que se despegan, o no se integran bien al fondo.
El logro o apariencia del cesped: es hermoso! Usaste óleos?

A little translation: The background is amazing, a great succeed...
The human bodies: They´re grieg anphores images, so that´s I stand up, but I think, they don´t compose onto the background.
The grass appearence: It´s so beautiful! Did you use oils?
Regards, Dámaso from Chile.

jvolkel
02-02-2007, 07:16 PM
Hi Enchanter - It looks like you will work out a great painting.The background came out nice and the figures are coming along. One little tip that has helped me find models - DAZ3D.com has a free program called DAZ Studio that has a posable man and woman available. I got my copy when I bought Bryce 5.5, but I think that they have it available to anyone on their web site. The figures can be Morphed in many ways to create different body types, etc.
Good luck with your work.

ENCHANTER
02-03-2007, 06:30 AM
wow, i remember this :) , i forgot i done this,
looking back i prefered the original without the mountains
and kept the full bodies,

damasocl: thank you very much, its was so long ago i, think i did use oils :)

jvolkel: I 'll give your suggestion next time im composing human figures, thanks :)

jvolkel
02-03-2007, 10:11 AM
DAZ Studio is not only for human figures! There are several animal models available, buildings, props, etc. I know I sound like I have some connection with them, but I don't - I just think they did a great job on the software and have made it available to all. (of course they want to sell you extras, but you don't have to buy any - they offer a free 3D model for download every month, plus all previously offered models!)

Lee
02-03-2007, 11:24 AM
umm, good work, like the first one, Z13, the best, isn't there ancient pottery that looks like your Titans? you've combined modern landscape with the past, ,,

ENCHANTER
02-04-2007, 02:31 AM
Lee:Yep , looking back there is something aobut the first few pics that is uncluttered and the main focus is on the figures, but my anatomy skils arent brilliant, :oops:

jvolkel: thanks , i will look into it in the future for refences when m doing my paintings, :)