PDA

View Full Version : The Cellar

Fashmir
03-17-2008, 06:00 PM
Ok... so... against my better judgment I'm posting another work in progress. I hope I don't end up being as slow to post a final as the last one. :)

Fashmir
03-17-2008, 07:42 PM
...here's an update.

Someonesane
03-18-2008, 04:27 AM
It's looking great already! I can't wait to see the finished product.

ScottF
03-18-2008, 07:04 AM
Post away! It´s always interesting to see the various stages.

Fashmir
03-18-2008, 08:45 AM
Someonesane- Thanks for checking it out.

ScottF- I like seeing stages too. Thanks.

Here's another update:

Selby
03-18-2008, 11:13 AM
ooh nice one Fashmir..i feel an adventure coming on.

Love the simple way you suggest flowers etc in this grove...not a wasted mark.

Selby

Fashmir
03-18-2008, 11:15 AM
Selby- Thanks. Nice to see you again. Here's another update. :)

Fashmir
03-18-2008, 12:00 PM
...and another update. :)

Fashmir
03-18-2008, 12:40 PM
...here's another update. I decided that I preferred not to have a pond. I want to play with roots and moss and toad stools. :)

Someonesane
03-18-2008, 03:06 PM
It's nice to see the stages of your work. I love this type of subject too. I've just recently started getting back into the swing of things with my artwork, but I'm still relatively new to digital painting so seeing these are very helpful. Thanks.

Fashmir
03-18-2008, 03:17 PM
Someonesane- It's a pleasure to inspire. I look forward to seeing your art.

Here's another update which should clear up any ambiguity about the title. :)

Selby
03-18-2008, 03:31 PM
hehe :D i almost feel frodo baggins could come popping out :D

fun food for my mind.

Selby

Fashmir
03-18-2008, 05:35 PM
Selby- Thanks for that. I should say though that for Frodo Baggins to come popping out the door would have to be round. :wink: Here's another update.

pai
03-18-2008, 06:39 PM
It's just so excited to see this WIP. You're making it fast this time. It's going to be another great one. :)

Selby
03-18-2008, 11:46 PM
Selby- Thanks for that. I should say though that for Frodo Baggins to come popping out the door would have to be round. :wink: Here's another update. :lol: :D true true...maybe its the proudfoots door then :wink: :D

lovely new update.

Selby

ScottF
03-19-2008, 04:29 AM
Interesting scene and interesting to see the stages. Thanks for clearing up the title--I was wondering how it fit :wink:

D Akey
03-19-2008, 11:12 AM
Gotta get one of them in there somewhere, even if it's a hand holding a pipe and a trail of smoke. . . had it been a pleasant scene.

On closer look, something seems amiss.

Cobwebs, eh? Bilbo's enemy for sure, and Frodo. Looks like The Shire has been a bit ravaged by the forces of darkness. . . and that may be a vulture rather than an eagle.

Seems like there is some story afoot because things surely need to be put right, I'm reckoning.

Fashmir
03-20-2008, 02:36 PM
pai- Thanks for your enthusiasm. Getting back into the work week has slowed my progress a bit. :)

Selby- Heh... :D :lol: I can hear Mr. Proudfoot now shouting and wiggling his toes... "ProudFEET!" Thanks.

ScottF- Thanks and your welcome. :D

D Akey- [sigh] I guess it does resemble the shire. Not what I was really going for but I'm just the messenger. :)

Thanks All. Here is another update:

RobertSWade
03-20-2008, 03:36 PM
Brilliant David, as always. (Am I the only one here who is not steeply versed in Hobbit lore???)

Someonesane
03-20-2008, 04:59 PM
Brilliant David, as always. (Am I the only one here who is not steeply versed in Hobbit lore???)

All I know of it, is the movies unfortunately. Never managed to sit down and read the books.

Looking good Fashmir!

Fashmir
03-20-2008, 06:17 PM
Robert- Thanks. There is no shame in *not* being a Tolkien geek. :wink:

Someonesane- I read them once in my teens and again as an adult before the films came out. Good stories. Thanks for commenting.

Here's another update. I've worked to integrate the roots into the moss and grass a bit more.

AndyRage
03-20-2008, 11:37 PM
Fashmir, I do so love watching your paintings develop. This is brilliant.

Rick
03-21-2008, 12:51 AM
Wow!!! So precise and detailed.. I love it...

D Akey
03-21-2008, 05:58 AM
Yeah, it is brilliant. Nice how the detail is getting layered on.

Did you mention what this was, since we're seeing Hobbiton?

Is this where your skulking Rabbit guy lives?

juliediane
03-21-2008, 06:23 AM
If you didn't like who was living underneath you...... could the trees walk away?

screenpainter
03-21-2008, 06:49 AM
Brilliant. Stunning work. Thank you for the play by play. Just amazing. :D

ScottF
03-21-2008, 07:11 AM
No Robert, you´re not the only one. What´s a hobbit? :shock: (Just kidding, I know what a hobbit is but little more than that.)

D Akey
03-21-2008, 08:10 AM
In a hole in the ground, there lived a hobbit. Not a dirty wet hole, nor a dry bare sandy hole. It was a hobbit hole, and that means comfort.

. . . if I remember my Tolkien. Now we will all please rise and turn to page 62. . .

There's more to hobbits than Lord of the Rings. I was astonished to find The Hobbit on my reading list in high school English lit. Had no idea what I was getting myself into back then. Just picked it at random. Sounded different.

Nobody has made it as a live action effects movie because the speed the story changes, with new and fantastic creatures and environments to match for virtually each chapter. It would be expensive and a production nightmare.

But in my opinion, it was far better than the epic LOTR. Maybe because it was my first time with the elves and such.

I don't know if I would find it as fascinating were I to read it now for the first time. It also smacks of nostalgia for me and that helps to keep it alive in my heart. I love it. Fewer and fewer things over the years hold steady in that.

RobertSWade
03-21-2008, 12:50 PM
@D Akey.
I guess while you were reading that, I was reading "The Once and Future King".