PDA

View Full Version : Saint Lou...2D/3D Mixed Media

Dickie
06-17-2006, 10:31 PM
This piece is a mix of 3D (The character made in Z-Brush) with the background curtains, the halo, the smoke and blue pencil outlines done in ArtRage2. He's called Saint Lou because he reminds me of Lou Reed...

Art Rage rocks because it lets me use natural media in a more realistic fashion than Photoshop. I'll probably do a bunch more in this general style as I have a ton of character heads I made in Z-Brush and they need backgrounds.

It's been like 15 years or so since I drew or painted in any real volume. The other paint packages I played with were always technical feeling. Art Rage feels like the tools they are emulating.

I painted this on my Alienware tower with my Wacom 6x8 because its hot as hell here in L.A. and my tablet PC puts out the equivalent BTUs of a nuclear power plant. If it's cooler tomorrow, the tablet gets used...
:lol:

Anyway, feel free to ask questions or have any ideas or suggestions or crits...

Dickie

Weeks
06-17-2006, 10:37 PM
Oh oh Dicky... :shock:

Your painting is fantastic...

I love it... :)

Keep posting..

Weeks

Dickie
06-17-2006, 10:43 PM
:lol: My painting is crap, Weeks. My 3D work, not too bad...YOU are going to be a big inspiration for my painting getting better... :D

Dickie

cym
06-17-2006, 10:48 PM
hmmm, I don't see any crap here. A little edgy and unique, but no crap.
Enjoyed your work. :)

AndyRage
06-18-2006, 12:19 AM
That looks excellent - you've mixed the 2D and 3D together very well.
Welcome to the forums - I look forward to seeing more of your work!

Dickie
06-18-2006, 01:27 AM
Cym: Thanks for coming along for the ride...Glad you had fun... :D

Andy: Thanks for your kind words, Boss. Without your numerical gifts, I would
be adrift in a sea of potentially cool art brewing in my cranium, forever awaiting birth...

As you helped in the delivery, wash up, please... :lol:

Aged P
06-18-2006, 01:45 AM
Hi Dickie,

Superb work!

The ability to bring in stuff and make it better is one of the things I love about Artrage.

It's still spooky to scan in a real oil painting done years ago and then improve it!

ka
06-19-2006, 08:18 AM
hi dickie i have just look at my paintings and .;you write to me !!so thanks for your comments ,the problem is i'm a frenchie lady and my english is a"old school style".for example i would have lots of things to say about your work(i love this style) but my vocabulary is so limited..see you soon.ka
(we can talk about technic another day...)

Dickie
06-19-2006, 10:20 AM
Ka: Thanks for your comments!

As I'm a Yank with knowledge of about 20 words in French, you have the upper hand on me! Your english is good enough for me to understand, so pleases don't hesistate to reply... :D

Dickie

NewCube
06-19-2006, 10:37 AM
Pretty damn good!

Dickie
06-19-2006, 11:39 AM
AgedP: DOH! I missed your post! I'm getting old! Sorry for not replying... :(
I'm glad you like the piece. Do you have a link to a painting you brought in and finished with Art Rage? I'd love to see it.

NewCube:Thanks...:D

This digital age we live in is a continuous source of wonder for me. I've been a digital artist for 26 years now and seeing my work go from black and white pixels a 1/4' high to simulating real media in the 2D and 3D realms is a trip and a half.

Of course getting older does have it's moments. I was talking to 2 of the IT people at work and I mentioned that I worked for Commodore computers back in '89-90. They never heard of them! I said Commodore made the Commodore 64 and the Amiga computers. They never heard of them either...:lol:

These folks were 24 and 25 years old and are responsible for keeping our network and render farm up and running. It just blew my mind that the history of computing is lost on most folks today. I felt a little sorry for them as they never got to witness the birth of the digital revolution.

It's a lot like a wave that is so large that it extends farther than we can see. And it's always there so we just take it for granted. None the less, as long as this wave is breaking, I'll always be there perched at it's crest on my little surfboard of colored photons, riding the binary curl...

Surfs up, people, have a bitchin' ride...

Dickie

samIambic
06-19-2006, 12:31 PM
High Dickie,

Fantastic, spot on Lou. Enjoy your work and your comments. Keep 'em comming!

Now do David Lynch...

sam

AndyRage
06-19-2006, 12:34 PM
It's scary that I remember using a Commodore Pet with 4KB of RAM, and how exciting I thought the release of the Atari 400 was.
And who can forget the fun of trying to enter a page of badly-printed hex codes using the horrible membrane keyboard of the ZX81.
Still, I learnt PASCAL programming as my first language on the university's computer, then later moved to BBC Basic and 6502 assembly code.

I respect that you worked for Commodore, and I think the '64 was a fantastic piece of hardware. The 6502 processor will always have a special place in my heart.

drzeller
06-19-2006, 01:25 PM
I still have my Commodore Vic-20 boxed up with it's manuals somewhere. It was my first computer -- though I had used TRS-80's and Apples in school. It cost a whopping $99, and I can remember what a big deal it was the night we drove to the nearest dealer and picked it up!

D.

Dickie
06-19-2006, 02:01 PM
I used to type assembly into the the Sinclair ZX-81 from computer hobby mags as a kid, well, as a 19 year old kid... :lol: I then used to program simple stuff in assembler on my C64.

The I got an Amiga and was upset because most commercial programs for that were written in C. I wanted more programs to be written in assembler for the speed, but those days were soon to be gone. Now I don't think anything is written in assembler anymore as it takes to long to code the massive chunks of code we use for all our software needs.

Because we have so many different graphis and sound cards, it's much easier to just point to graphics and sound libraries than to code them for a specific manufacturers product. Especially in the PC world.

Is this correct, Andy?

Dickie

AndyRage
06-19-2006, 05:36 PM
Most code these days tends to be written in higher level languages. Really it depends on the application. Web-based stuff is PHP, ASP. VB, Java. Business software is commonly written in VB or Delphi, as a front end to an SQL or Oracle database.
'Modern' fast applications are riddled with COM, and use .Net (or C# or Objective C). I hate those...

ArtRage is all C++.

Aged P
06-19-2006, 09:18 PM
Nice to hear how you youngsters started!

For me it was assembling the Nascom/Lynx and making 700 soldered joints!

No keyboard, just an alphanumeric pad.
6" Green screen.

Taking a day to input the Moonlander program. Saving it to a cheap tape recorder. Reloading it from tape. Entering it all again.

Oh what joy!

NewCube
06-19-2006, 10:19 PM
Ah, the Commodore 64, my first computer when I was 8.. 23 years later and I've just installed a C64 emulator on my PHONE!!! (Palm Treo 650)

http://frodopalm.sourceforge.net/gallery.html

I can't get enough of Laser Squad on the train. I bet it blows people's minds when they see the blue on blue C64 screen blinking away on my phone screen!

tony
06-21-2006, 05:23 AM
:) :shock: Wow that is amazing piece of art work, looks so real which makes it the more scary. Would not like to meet up with him.Beautifully done, simply great.Regards,Tony :)

Dickie
06-21-2006, 12:41 PM
Andy: Yeah, it seems now programs HAVE to be written in a higher level languague. Unless you are coding for a fixed Hardware base, like the PSP, for example, where all hardware is identical. The it would make sense to use assembler if you can find the SDK for the chipset and have a lot of time... :lol:

AgedP: Ahhh yes, The old tape days. I used an old Radio Shack tape recorder to save my ZX-81 code to...I remember when my buddy and I would wait 20 minutes for Jumpman to load into my C64. We'd have a beer or 2 as we waited. Made for some challenging games... :lol:

NewCube: I have a Sony PSP and have a TON of emulators on it. I have a C64, an Atari ST, an Amiga, a Super NES, an NES, a Genesis, a Neo-Geo, a gameboy, a Lynx, MAME, a Colocovision and other assorted apps and emulators all on 1 unit. It's bloody incredible what is being done in homebrew nowadays!

As long as I have portable Jumpman, Venture, Metal Slug, and my music, I'm a happy boy... :lol:

Tony: I'm glad you like it... :D As it's a 3D image with the over/under painting done in Art Rage, then it's cheating, really. But I've never been one to stay in the box. Just ask my bosses. They tend to have to keep guiding me back to the vicinity of the box... :lol:

Thanks to everyone who took the time to comment. I really like the community here on these forums. I'm also very pleased that the developers of this fine software join us here and are active in the community. This is normally a rare occurance nowadays, unfortunately. We are fortunate to have them here with us... :D

Dickie

drzeller
06-21-2006, 02:23 PM
In case anyone needs a Jumpman fix...

http://members.iinet.net.au/~cleathley/jumpman/index.html

And here is site devoted to the game:

http://jlounge.classicgaming.gamespy.com/guide.html#1.2

D.

Aged P
06-21-2006, 08:00 PM
Hi Dickie,

Wow, this place is a great memory jogger!

I'd forgotten the make of the tape recorder. But yes, mine was a Radioshack version as well. They called it a Data Recorder as I dimly recall. I can now hear the continual clacking and clicking of the mechanism and the lid slamming open. Also, making sure that you didn't store stuff on the first foot of tape, because it stretched and got crinkly.
Then trying to locate a point just before that to start a reload. Ah the good old days!

bleepnik
06-25-2006, 06:58 AM
I love your work, Dickie. 3D stuff completed in a 2D app is right up my alley, something I aspire to endeavour one day (cheating to you, desired result to me, toe-may-toe, toe-mah-toe). =)

And I am totally jealous, my PSP firmware is too recent for homebrew. Hmph.

- Gita

Dickie
06-25-2006, 01:12 PM
Gita,

3D is a blast and Z-brush makes it easier because it is JUST like sculpting...

I don't have the props to paint like the pros, so I just like to mix the 2...

What firmware are you running. Even if you are running 2.7 you can at the very least run a whole bunch of fun Flash apps.

If you are running 2.6 or earlier, there is a WORLD of emus that work...

I'll send you some links when you reply...

Dickie

bleepnik
06-26-2006, 12:18 PM
Replying via PM, sorry for derailing the thread. *blush*

.g