PDA

View Full Version : 1st painting

scason
06-13-2006, 05:55 PM
I'm new to the forum and this is my first painting with artrage. I swiped the idea from a image on the web but the rest is all me and a tablet PC. Please critique and comment. I am a beggining artist and need all the help I can get. Can one really learn how to paint with traditional material digitally? What I mean is , will the skills I learn with Artrage transfer to real paint? Thanks for looking.

Selby
06-13-2006, 06:03 PM
jeepers Scanson nice one-what a kickoff in the ArtRage world -like it a lot :)

you asked

Can one really learn how to paint with traditional material digitally? What I mean is , will the skills I learn with Artrage transfer to real paint? I say yes..many of them particularly treatment of light and textures and like all things you learn anywhere i think what you learn in ArtRage will inform all your other art(digital and non digital)..the things that will be different when you paint in the real world will be stuff like more setup packup time and mess, more physical space needed to paint, and no undo button :)

Selby

drzeller
06-14-2006, 01:26 AM
That's great first painting! Keep 'em coming!

D.

Aged P
06-14-2006, 03:46 AM
Can one really learn how to paint with traditional material digitally? What I mean is , will the skills I learn with Artrage transfer to real paint?.

Yes.

There are lots of ways to paint already, all with different techniques, advantages and limitations. They are not so forgiving or clever as ArtRage. Try buying a real canvas that will change color and texture after you've put the paint on!

The feedback you can get from this site comes in two flavours, technical and critical. The critical will improve your actual painting. That will help with any other method that you might try. You have some World class painters here.

What did I think of the painting?
I think it was great! That was not an easy painting to do.
Keep them coming!

bleepnik
06-14-2006, 05:18 AM
Welcome to the forums, Sean. What an excellent piece - you'd better stop calling yourself a beginner, you're making the rest of us look bad. =] Seriously, smoke isn't (imho) easy to make appear natural, and you've done a brilliant job of that. And you chose to go with one of those square matchsticks instead of the flat ones; the 3Dness of it and the burnt matchhead are so spot-on, I feel like I could reach out and grab it. Very cool, thanks for sharing.

- Gita

AndyRage
06-14-2006, 12:22 PM
Fantastic. The flow and dynamics of the smoke is awesome. That's really very good!
And welcome to the forum! I look forward to more of your work here.

scason
06-14-2006, 01:28 PM
Thank you everyone for your comments. I really appreciate the encouragement. I lucked out with this painting. It just fell together. I just want to improve with each picture. Thanks again.

Sean

samIambic
06-14-2006, 01:29 PM
Yeow, scary good! Welcome!

(There isn't some subliminal message in that smoke is there?)

sam

cym
06-14-2006, 10:45 PM
Excellent beginning of an ArtRage addiction. :lol: You know it doesn't take long to get hooked.

tony
06-16-2006, 03:09 AM
:shock: :D Wow that is amazing and beautiful to look at. Love the idea and your style, look forward to seeing more of yor work. :) Regards,tony

Fashmir
06-18-2006, 08:49 AM
Nice way to jump in Scason. very genuine treatment of smoke.

Can one really learn how to paint with traditional material digitally? What I mean is , will the skills I learn with Artrage transfer to real paint?

Yes and no. The basic manouvers of paint and texture of paper, use of line and principles of painting/drawing light and shade near and distant, composition and so forth will all translate to traditional media. The hitch is color mixing and behavior of materials, setup, cleanup. There are things about any of the traditional media that would be impossible-even ludicrous to try to imitate in the digital realm. These you must learn by experiencing them. The bright side is that they are also the things one can pick up very quickly. It doesnt' take long for example to realize that when using acrylic paints without extender (medium for delaying drying time) that a spray bottle capable of fine mist is an essential tool. The stuff you learn about actually making good art can all be learned in ArtRage.

florida girl
06-22-2006, 02:33 PM
Very Unique!
Did you mean for it to be a Symbolism?
The smoke almost seems to have a life of its own, with a human form going up into Smoke. Do you see it?

scason
06-24-2006, 03:41 AM
I did see the figure, but that was purely by accident. Only noticed it after the picture was done. If I had done it on purpose I probably would have tried for a skull in the smoke, lol. How would that do for symbolism?

Sean

drzeller
06-24-2006, 04:24 AM
scason... any more to share?

D.

Weeks
06-24-2006, 05:30 AM
Scason,

What a nice hyper realistic painting..

I like it very much..

Keep.... :wink:

Weeks

screenpainter
08-19-2011, 10:19 PM
striking image. :)

scribbledsoul
08-22-2011, 06:07 PM
What a great start to your new addiction! This piece is both beautiful and unique. And welcome to the forums, it is a real pleasure to have you here. Looking forward to seeing more of your wonderful work.

This program is an invaluable learning tool, in my opinion, and ArtRage is the closest to emulating natural media that I have found. I hope you have lots of fun learning about art and ArtRage! :D

screenpainter
08-22-2011, 06:21 PM
I'm sorry Soul. this is a really old post from 2006 by an inactive member. I just thought it was such a cool image and I hadn't seen it before so thought I would share it. since I spent an afternoon going through the ambient spotlights just looking.

Then I couldn't help myself with the comment. My bad for bringing an old thread to the top... forgive me? please.

scribbledsoul
08-24-2011, 01:31 AM
Oh!!! You see how well I pay attention; I didn't even notice the date lol. :o

It's too bad that we haven't seen more from the original artist; that is an interesting image, with a lot of potential behind it.

No need to apologize, I'm glad that you brought this painting out of the archives and dusted it off; I like it! :D

eighty+
08-25-2011, 11:34 PM
well said Soul baby:D:D:D

hildee
11-20-2012, 01:26 PM
Amazing first painting. You caught the smoke and swirl effect very well :)