Thread: Is there a brush in ArtRage that not only colours but also functions as a blender?

Is there a brush in ArtRage that not only colours but also functions as a blender?

Hello friends,

I need your help. I have tried asking this question in a few groups but never received an answer so I thought I would turn to this forum. I have mainly used Krita for my work but after seeing and trying ArtRage it was love at first sight. My big problem concerns brushes. I will now explain. In Krita there are brushes that use a special motor that allows, through pressure, to function as a brush and blender at the same time. This feature proves to be very convenient as it allows you to distribute the colour and then blend it when necessary, all by simply acting on the pressure exerted on the pen. My question is: Is there something similar in ArtRage?

Thank you to anyone who can help me.

Hi Charly

I suspect you are using the desktop version rather than iPad?

I think most if not all brushes will do what you want by default. If not, turn on “real colour blending”. See the section below from the manual and I hope it will solve your problem:

=================

Real Color Blending
    ArtRage_4_Manua-209

Most digital painting packages blend colors using an RGB color model. This color model is familiar to people who use painting software but does not produce results familiar to people who work with real paint. Real Color Blending mode allows you to change how ArtRage blends color so that it mimics real world pigments more closely.

Real Color Blending mode can be turned on in the color options menu which can be found in the Tools menu or by clicking the Current Color Sample. The Real Color Blending menu item can be turned on or off whenever you wish. Changing it will not affect any of the paint already on the Canvas, but any paint you blend after changing it will blend in the newly selected mode.

The most obvious example of how Real Color Blending changes the paint color can be found when you blend blue and yellow. Using an RGB blending model the resulting blend comes out somewhere between blue and grey. If you tun on Real Color Blending you find that the resulting color is green.

Real Color Blending is great when you are trying to mix colors, especially if you are used to real paint.

Also many of the knives can be loaded with paint and will blend in their style.

I hope this helps

Brett
    Kia whakatōmuri te haere whakamua (“I walk backwards into the future with my eyes fixed on my past”).

Tech stuff: 24" iMac M1: Wacom Intuos Pro L: iPad Pro 12.9"

Quote Originally Posted by Perendale View Post
    Hi Charly

I suspect you are using the desktop version rather than iPad?

I think most if not all brushes will do what you want by default. If not, turn on “real colour blending”. See the section below from the manual and I hope it will solve your problem:

=================

Real Color Blending
    ArtRage_4_Manua-209

Most digital painting packages blend colors using an RGB color model. This color model is familiar to people who use painting software but does not produce results familiar to people who work with real paint. Real Color Blending mode allows you to change how ArtRage blends color so that it mimics real world pigments more closely.

Real Color Blending mode can be turned on in the color options menu which can be found in the Tools menu or by clicking the Current Color Sample. The Real Color Blending menu item can be turned on or off whenever you wish. Changing it will not affect any of the paint already on the Canvas, but any paint you blend after changing it will blend in the newly selected mode.

The most obvious example of how Real Color Blending changes the paint color can be found when you blend blue and yellow. Using an RGB blending model the resulting blend comes out somewhere between blue and grey. If you tun on Real Color Blending you find that the resulting color is green.

Real Color Blending is great when you are trying to mix colors, especially if you are used to real paint.

Also many of the knives can be loaded with paint and will blend in their style.

I hope this helps

Brett
    Hi Perendale,

thank you very much for your reply.

I apologise for not specifying that I use the desktop version of ArtRage Vitae (Windows 10). Yes, I already knew about the Real Colour Blending feature, which I activated immediately after installation.

I'm still in the study phase and honestly didn't know that some of the Knives could load colour as well as blend it. However, I wanted to try but at the moment the result is very different from what I get with Krita's brushes. At first I had the impression that ArtRage was more suitable for expressionist style painting but then I happened to see some oil paintings made with this program in which the colour was spread and blended with incredible delicacy. Evidently I am missing something.

Custom brushes allow for blending and deposition of color in a quite natural way.

Here is a custom brush I previously uploaded.
    AR6DOsCustomBrush.arpack

I used it to create this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SilverContainerFinalReworked.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	253.5 KB 
ID:	103405
    Last edited by DarkOwnt; 1 Week Ago at 08:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkOwnt View Post
    Custom brushes allow for blending and deposition of color in a quite natural way.

Here is a custom brush I previously uploaded.
    AR6DOsCustomBrush.arpack

I used it to create this:

Attachment 103404
    Thank you very much, DarkOwnt! Your brush is really very nice to use. Unfortunately, however, it lacks the blending function, which characterises the brush in Krita instead. Being able to switch between drawing colour, glazing and blending colours all with one brush by simply using the level of pressure gives you extraordinary and direct control. If, for example, I am blending a red with a yellow, I don't need to worry about the colour I have selected at that moment because, by exerting a very light pressure, the brush will not release colour but will simply act as a perfect blender.
    Unfortunately, due to my poor English, I have to use an online translator to write these messages so I apologise if they are a bit incomprehensible.

Welcome Charly. If you turn off the loading on oil and watercolour brushes they then become blenders. So you could apply paint and blend with the same brush.
    June.

Oh God of homeless things, look down
    And try to ease the way
    Of all the little weary paws
    That walk the world
    today.
    -
    Unknown.

http://enug66.deviantart.com/gallery/

[My setup: hp 15in laptop,11th Gen Intel Core i7-1165G7 @ 2.80GHz 2.70 GHz, 8.00 GB RAM, 24in Acer 2nd monitor, Huion Kamvas 20 Pro display tablet, Windows 11, ArtRage Vitae.
    My painting real-estate is extended across three monitors.]

Quote Originally Posted by Charly61 View Post
    Thank you very much, DarkOwnt! Your brush is really very nice to use. Unfortunately, however, it lacks the blending function, which characterises the brush in Krita instead. Being able to switch between drawing colour, glazing and blending colours all with one brush by simply using the level of pressure gives you extraordinary and direct control. If, for example, I am blending a red with a yellow, I don't need to worry about the colour I have selected at that moment because, by exerting a very light pressure, the brush will not release colour but will simply act as a perfect blender.
    Unfortunately, due to my poor English, I have to use an online translator to write these messages so I apologise if they are a bit incomprehensible.
    You will not be able to make a two in one brush (based on pressure) as in Krita. If a brush is loaded with paint in ArtRage, it is on the tip and you can't avoid making a mark with it however light your pressure. Loading can run out though, so you can lay down all the paint and then end up just blending. In that sense you can have a two in one brush in ArtRage ... based on loading.

If you want a brushy blender, you can make a copy of your favorite custom brush (save under a new name) and just reduce Color Refresh to 0, and that creates a blend only brush.

Thank you all very much for your suggestions.