Thread: Can I paint in full resolution and 100% zoom on iPad?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I don’t think the iPad is doing anything strange in how it shows the canvas on screen.
    And unlike the Desktop versions of ARV, there is no HD Screen option in Preferences.

What High Definition screens, like Apples iPad Retina screens, are effectively doing is using 2 pixels on screen for every 1 pixel that a non Retina screen would use.
    So an 11” iPad Retina screen has twice as many pixels packed into the same physical area as a non Retina 11” screen would.

With this higher pixel density you have two choices of how to display an image of a given size;
    1: Still use 1 pixel to display the same image area as the non Retina screen’s 1 pixel. Result; the image you will see on screen is half the size it was on the non Retina screen and showing the same amount of detail.
    Or, which is what actually happens;
    2: 2 Retina pixels are used for every 1 of the old screen pixels which keeps the image visually the same size on screen and allows for finer image detail to be shown.

So Retina screens have both a Physical pixel size and a Logical pixel size which is half the Physical size.
    And Apples new iPhone 15 screens are using pixels at 3:1!

With regards to Zoom levels generally in AR, mobile or desktop versions;
    1% > 1000% on the mobile
    1% > 800% on the desktop.
    The zoom percentage shown is only really telling you how much of the available zoom range within AR has been used.
    Without knowing the intended physical canvas size, it’s ppi/dpi and the screen pixel density it can relate to nothing more.

With regards your 11” iPad Pro screen size;
    Looking online just now, and I think your screen is physically actually: 9.01” by 6.30”.
    If this is correct, then to get a print quality canvas (assuming printing @300dpi) that same size it would need to be approximately 2703px x 1893px.
    Last edited by markw; 03-15-2024 at 06:22 AM. Reason: Typo!
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage Vitae 7.1.4 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    ~ macOS 10.15.7 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M
    My Animal Paintings In The Forum Gallery
    On Instagram