Thread: How to set dpi as 300 dpi in vitae for ipad

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Historically I don’t believe there has been any provision to set canvas DPI in the mobile versions of AR.
    Although in ArtRage Vitae for iOS, and if you have an iPad Pro11" or better, the max canvas size that it can create is potentially 4096 x 4096 pixels*.

But in some respects not being able to set DPI in the mobile version of ARV doesn’t matter too much as image quality is dictated by the overall pixel count of a canvas, not it’s DPI.
    Canvas A measuring 4096px x 4096px @72DPI contains exactly the same amount of image information/detail as canvas B measuring 4096px x 4096px @300DPI.
    DPI is merely metadata attached to a file so that a printer knows how densely to pack the image information (pixels) into a given area when printing.
    As such DPI info can be added to or altered in any finished and exported image file at any time later via most image editing software, such as the macOS Preview app.
    So without any size being specified, by default, canvas B in the above example would print physically smaller than canvas A because it’s DPI of 300 is telling the printer to pack roughly 4 times as many of the image’s pixels into each inch of printed area.
    You can of course ignore the DPI info contained within any digital image and print it at any size you want! Just remember that the bigger the area it’s pixels have to fill beyond the optimum, the less sharp it’s likely to start looking!

But if your iPad can make a 4096px canvas this is definitely good enough for an A4 print @300dpi and possibly at a push A3 too, if you drop your printing DPI to around 200. It may still look good viewed close to on a wall. (Your style of painting and level of fine detail within will dictate if this is viable with your work).

Though not specifically amid at the mobile versions of ARV, you can see more general info on setting up a canvas in AR and what to bear in mind when doing so here: https://www.artrage.com/choose-canvas-size-artrage/

*As of v1.1.4 for iOS the max New Canvas size is now 6000px x 6000px!
    So an A3 sized print 3508 x 4961px @300dpi is easily within that pixel range and you could probably get away with printing at A2 at a push as well!
    Last edited by markw; 12-28-2023 at 02:31 AM. Reason: New Info!
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage Vitae 7.1.4 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    ~ macOS 10.15.7 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M
    My Animal Paintings In The Forum Gallery
    On Instagram

Unfortunately, there is no way to set the DPI when you create a new document in ArtRage Vitae for iPad. The only way to set the DPI is to resize the document after it has been created.

I was looking forward to it being integrated on mobile devices. However, I also tried using it on the iPad. Functions work well on larger screens.