Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Glad you found a solution!
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage Vitae 7.1.4 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    ~ macOS 10.15.7 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M
    My Animal Paintings In The Forum Gallery
    On Instagram

How big does the stencil need to be to avoid jagged edges? I have long had this problem. I hope I load this image properly: the two bottom circle section edges are the included-in-ArtRage circle with anti-aliasing on. They have jagged edges and a skipped bit. The top circle I used smoothing at 7, and then gave my line some time to "settle". I have done this for years. A stencil that I have made is far worse. To work around the problem I do a guide with line smoothing, then fill in with the stencil mode.
    If I try to make a stencil other than the size I need in my painting, I don't have good control over the line size after transforming to the overall size of the object I need in my painting.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	STENCIL RAGGED EDGES RULER.PNG 
Views:	177 
Size:	236.6 KB 
ID:	102269

Yes, I see what you mean sueellen, though I’m not sure that the stencil itself is necessarily the culprit here.
    Like you I found that the Pen or Custom Brush tools with a bit of Smoothing, 5%+, generally give better results without those odd bumps.
    For me I found that those bumps tend to happen more at the cardinal positions with AR’s circular stencil at 12, 3, 6, and 9 o’clock .
    It suggests to me that it may be more related to how AR is doing the antialiasing maybe as the stroke passes near those points?
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage Vitae 7.1.4 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    ~ macOS 10.15.7 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M
    My Animal Paintings In The Forum Gallery
    On Instagram

Yes! Those are the points where it happens. I will continue to use my work-around with smoothing, as it has worked for me and I know now that it's not something I'm doing wrong. Thanks.