Thread: DOs - SquareMess Brushes (brushes 6-8 of 8)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    The brushes were used throughout the painting actually. The easiest ones to see are the green strokes in the bottom left. Plus the pink and green row of flowers below the barn. The trees next to the barn, sky, etc. They are all there just blended nicely with the other strokes, which is what I wanted. It is easier to see them in an incompressed image. Thanks again!
    Robert Hopkins

Ah. You are very welcome. I see now what you mean the strokes soften things and add a bit of mess. A good use for them.

I'm pondering a few additions. A rectangular brush head, a version which is less "blendy" and provides better cover, and finally a version with discontinuous and really patchy strokes.

Those would be good additions to your collection.

I tried my hand at creating a round canvas 2 (a while ago) but was not able to cut the square into a proper circle and not mess up the edges. I gave up. For landscape painting I really like a round edge brush too. Sqaure or jagged edges are great but so many details in a landscape require round edges too.

My wife and I were looking at all of Chads paintings he has posted in his thread and it is truly amazing how he is using "all" of the textures in ArtRage. Canvas, globs of paint, scratch marks, three dimensional oils, smears, etc. He uses it all and it shows in his work. It makes you stop and look at the painting so you can take in all the variety of textures, values, colors and saturation. When I grow up I want to paint just like him!

Thanks again DO!
    Robert Hopkins

Question: using my pink tulips painting above as a reference is there any way to have the oil brush not end its stroke to not be sqaure? The starting stroke is round and the ending portion of the stroke should not be flat. It should end round too correct? There is no way to end a round bristle brush with a flat edge in real media painting. Is this the bug you were referring to earlier DO?
    Robert Hopkins

Quote Originally Posted by HwyStar View Post
    Question: using my pink tulips painting above as a reference is there any way to have the oil brush not end its stroke to not be sqaure? The starting stroke is round and the ending portion of the stroke should not be flat. It should end round too correct? There is no way to end a round bristle brush with a flat edge in real media painting. Is this the bug you were referring to earlier DO?
    There are a number of issues with the oil brush: blending divergence and saturation artifacting, paint loading affected by zoom, loading having no effect whatever on wet into wet blending, loading generally not conserving volume of paint, back and forth strokes unexpectedly flipping brush (in real life one simply lifts the brush and places it back down for the next swipe), shape of brush contact not rendered properly etc.

This last one might be what you are encountering. For the oil brush, in the middle of any stroke, the calculation for how paint is laid down and interacts with the canvas is based on a 1D line at right angles to the stroke and having a width based in the "shape" selected and the aspect ratio setting. In real life a thin rectangular brush can be dragged at an acute angle with respect to its orientation (and keeping that orientation fixed), to form what roughly looks like a parallelogram. Try it with the oil brush (make sure rotation is controlled by your stylus so that it is independent of the direction of the stroke, controlled by stylus tilt only , or if you have Wacom's art brush, rotation of the stylus)

I had previously posted something in a thread about this issue but I cannot find it... bottom line is ArtRage oil brushes do not in fact have square or circular brush contact during the middle of a stroke, it is a line at right angles to the stroke.

EDIT: posted new thread in Windows OS
    Last edited by DarkOwnt; 05-02-2018 at 01:42 AM.

My God DO! Are you expecting "me" to keep up with "you" and your engineering mind? No way Man!

Yes, it is the last one you are referring to that has the issue with me and my painting style.

With the Square Head checkbox unchecked, to me that implies that the brush should be rounded on both sides of the stroke, beginning and ending. Which it is not. It is shaped more like the sail of a sailboat. Round at the top, middle is straight and the bottom is flat.

This image I just shot says it all. Notice the flat brush ends flat, and the rounded brush is not ending flat? I just painted those stroke for illustration purposes here.

Name:  IMG_2495.jpg
Views: 1687
Size:  112.6 KB
    Robert Hopkins

Interestingly enough, in the real world you are using a "flat rounded" brush.

Now although it offends me to no end... dab the brush straight down (gently) in the real world and then in ArtRage... do they match?

Notice that in ArtRage, without setting aspect to a low setting the brush head in ArtRage is actually circular, not flat rounded.

For a fair test, you really need a circular (round) brush, which is slightly tapered on its surface, so that it makes a circular dab.

PS And make various kinds of hand motions lifting off so it isn't biased one way or the other.

PPS And for me, could you make a parallelogram in one stroke?

Last edited by DarkOwnt; 05-02-2018 at 09:52 AM.