Quote Originally Posted by Victor Osaka View Post
Thanks for the reply. One of the reasons I did not give my direct opinion was that I am indeed an educator and former professor. So, I am biased - just a bit. Your thoughts on the subject are interesting to me.

It's true, one CAN find a lot of art on the web. Does one have to know how to create art to appreciate art? Is appreciation enough? Must one be intellectual about art? About the creative process? Or have a practical knowledge of the creative process?

Is the ability to express one's creativity (in a deep way) essential to the human experience? I think so. I can't quite remember what it is like to not know how to create art. The mechanics of putting to form a concept.
Yo opino que el tema es muy amplio, y por lo demás muy interesante para muchos de nosotros.
Yo también soy educador, y desde que decidí estudiar la Pedagogía en Bellas Artes (Artes Plásticas como se le suele decir en Chile), me dí cuenta que el alumno reacciona bien si es bien motivado, y además, si se le invita a "mirar" la naturaleza, o bien, lo que le rodea ...
Cuando recién comencé a trabajar como Profesor de Artes Plásticas en una escuela particular, a niños entre 9 y 14 años aproximadamente, descubrí poco a poco que mis clases "encantaban" a los alumnos.
Una de las cosas que los motivó fué el hecho de invitarlos a salir al patio de la escuela a dibujar ...

Pero, desgraciadamente hoy en mi paìs, las Artes Plásticas son una materia optativa, y las autoridades de la Educación (a partir de 1973), solo tienen la meta de que los alumnos compitan, ganen, y tengan un trabajo que les reporte mucho dinero...

WEB translation:

I think that the topic is very broad, and otherwise very interesting for many of us.
I am also an educator, and since I decided to study the Pedagogy of Fine Arts, I realized that students react well if well motivated, and also if you are invited to "look "nature, or around him ...
When I started just working as art teacher in a private school, children between about 9 and 14, I discovered slowly that my classes "loved" to students.
One of the things that motivated them was the fact invite them out to the schoolyard to draw ...

But unfortunately today in my country, the Arts are an optional subject, and the authorities of Education (since 1973), only have the goal of students compete, win, and have a job to report them lots of money ...