Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pencil Portrait

Gallery
    View images

Pencil Portrait

Name:  medium.png
Views: 445
Size:  430.7 KB

It has been a while since I have been here, but I had a go at a pencil drawing of this portrait, then I was so pleased with the result that I wanted to print it out. Having run out of colour ink in my printer I knew that the brown paper background would not print out very well, so I made the background transparent, saved the drawing as a .png then printed it out on grey card.

Here it is on my wall behind glass. The neighbours think it is graphite and not digital pencil. I soooo love Artrage!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Reference - avo 2.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	264.2 KB 
ID:	66794Click image for larger version. 

Name:	avo7.JPG 
Views:	46 
Size:	294.6 KB 
ID:	66795
    TeresaW
    My Art blog can be found here and
    PaperTree's Images in the ArtRage Gallery can be found here.

Gallery
    View images
    So You cheated with Your neighbour ... I'm kidding. You cannot get a great drawing with Artrage if You cannot get it on paper too. Excellent portrait.
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

Gallery
    View images
    Quote Originally Posted by Caesar View Post
    So You cheated with Your neighbour ... I'm kidding. You cannot get a great drawing with Artrage if You cannot get it on paper too. Excellent portrait.
    Thanks caesar, fooling people spurred me on to have another go the traditional way to see if I have learned anything from ArtRage, so I am currently doing another portrait. I am using ArtRage to give me the pencil guidelines, printing it and using graphite and photocopy paper to complete the job the traditional way.

The great thing is, that by homing my skills in, first with drawing with pencil from within ArtRage and using the reference photo all from within ArtRage, I had the confidence to do exactly the same thing using graphite the traditional medium. I've been a bit hit and miss when it comes to traditional art. I am using the reference photo tool from within ArtRage and looking at the detail of the photo from the computer screen, then drawing from that; onto photocopy paper, while the light it good to work. Then when it gets too dark to work with natural medium I swap projects and continue with digital art. So far I do not see the difference from the two methods. This, to me, confirms how natural to true life this computer package is, especially when it comes to pencil or line drawings.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF6083.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	169.7 KB 
ID:	66797 You can just see the feint guidelines that I created in ArtRage before I started shading in the shadows. This is the same method that I use from within ArtRage as well.
    TeresaW

Gallery
    View images
    Very interesting artist's path, you have been taking here. With very good results.
    Sometimes, it's called "pipeline" but to be honest, I hate this label...

Gallery
    View images
    Quote Originally Posted by Strandy View Post
    Very interesting artist's path, you have been taking here. With very good results.
    Sometimes, it's called "pipeline" but to be honest, I hate this label...
    Thanks Strandy, by rights I suppose I shouldn't post a natural media here, but I thought I could get away with it as it started off in ArtRage, so it is a sort of hybrid. But the first Portrait is all ArtRage.
    TeresaW

Gallery
    View images
    Oh no! I'm afraid, you got me wrong. Sorry if this is caused on my end... I wanted to say I, love results you achieved using AR for your art, even mixed with another means. Please, post your artistic ideas here...
    I was ranting solely about the word 'pipeline' although nobody used it... Sorry for the whole misunderstanding

Gallery
    View images
    These are so very very good Papertree looking forward to seeing more and more
    Sometimes...I remember better with my eyes closed

My Gallery
    http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/6307

Gallery
    View images
    Thanks Strandy, you're all right, no offense taken, not quite sure how it all got miss-interpreted, but all's good.

Thanks Coops, I'll do my best to keep the artistic juices flowing after such a long break away from it all.

Hugs everyone.
    TeresaW

Gallery
    View images
    looking good want to see more PT...........SLAINTE

Gallery
    View images
    Ola, dear Papertree, brava! This second work is marvellous too and Your process flexibility admirable.
    You really show that the capabilities You've got are so good and concrete that You may proceed anyway among the real and virtula world and any combination of the two.
    I share Your appreciation of Artrage as the most natural way to draw and paint and the most painterly software as for the final outcomes.
    Differences between the real tools and medias and AR ones are different in the different cases, but for most of them no other software may match Artrage for natural painting in my opinion.
    This doesn't mean that drawing in AR for me is exactly as doing it in reality, but I may get too similar enough quality. The only case where I stiil see some gap is for watercolors, but they're good enough (with some trick too) to get that effect and an exquisite quality after some efforts and devouted time and I hardly know of any alternative as much good which can be used in a similarly spontaneous, real-like and natural way.
    Panta rei (everything flows)!