Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Could this be a bug?

Gallery
    View images

Could this be a bug?

This is an action which I have previously used a lot without any problem but which arose immediately after downloading version 1.4. Perhaps its a bug ? as problem repeats itself continuously, but only with the ink tool:

Using: iPad 2, AR 1.4

Using the Ink Tool preset 'Smooth Transparent Ink', make a single dot on a new layer; the dot shows but the layer does not to recognize its contents (it will not close/open eye-to-view, and the transform tool will not work)
    Apply a second dot overlapping the first, using same ink tool on same layer, or a new layer; now the 2nd dot shows a thin black outer edge, and the undo will not work properly - it leaves a section of the first dot behind regardless of being on a different layer.

I have tried closing and reopening AR, also rebooting the iPad to no avail.
    Even if I leave the single dot on its own layer, save and close program, then re-open the painting (I see the dot showing in the Gallery section) but when I open the painting the dot has vanished from the layer!

Its driving me crazy!
    Hope I have explained the problem sufficiently well enough...
    Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. (Mark Twain)

Gallery
    View images
    This is something we've heard of in a couple of cases and have been having some trouble replicating. We're looking in to it for the next update however so if we can find the exact cause we should be able to solve it then.

The dot isn't actually being applied to the painting, it's stored in a temporary layer used while the ink pen is active, so it will be removed when you re-open the painting (after opening a different painting first to clear the layers).
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Gallery
    View images
    PS: The problem exists with the particular ink tool mentioned but only in dot making mode. If I use the same tool drawing strokes then the problem goes away, but as long as I make dots (or multiple dots) the action although temporarily visible, is not recognized nor remembered.
    This happens regardless of whether or not I stay on the same page or even if a start afresh on a new painting.
    Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. (Mark Twain)

Gallery
    View images
    The problem will happen regardless of the painting you work on, but changing paintings should remove any dots you see on the canvas. The dots are an artifact of the temporary layer used for the inking tool and will be cleared when you change paintings, they're not saved to the file.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Gallery
    View images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattRage View Post
    The problem will happen regardless of the painting you work on, but changing paintings should remove any dots you see on the canvas. The dots are an artifact of the temporary layer used for the inking tool and will be cleared when you change paintings, they're not saved to the file.
    OK, but when do the dots actually become part of the painting rather than remaining artifacts of a temporary layer?
    The problem repeats over and over even if I dont change paintings. For example; on an existing painting, I open a new layer and make some dots, then I repeat the action another layer. After a while when I merge these layers - all the dots disappear! The dots never become part of the painting.

Gallery
    View images
    The dots won't become part of the painting, they are made in the temporary layer and not transferred to the canvas. If the dots are vanishing that's because the temporary layer has been cleared to allow a new temporary layer to exist. Merging layers can cause this to happen. This is something we will be looking at in a future update. For now, the dots won't be included in the painting.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Gallery
    View images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattRage View Post
    For now, the dots won't be included in the painting.
    So then if I understand you correctly, any and all dots made with the ink tool are for the time being not possible - as there is no way they can become part of the painting.

As this action was previously possible, I had the impression that it still was but only in some other way...
    in which case I shall stop trying to make it work and hopefully an update will fix it.

Thanks.

Gallery
    View images
    In some cases this appears to be true, though we haven't been able to replicate it in all cases yet. Turning of Smoothing and Tapering (0% for both) may solve the problem.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Gallery
    View images
    Yes, that worked
    ..does this mean I will always have to set smoothing and tapering to 0% in order to keep ink dots?
    Or hopefully this can be fixed?

But very nice 2 know there is a way around it in the meantime, many thanks!

Gallery
    View images
    Three cheers to the Team for fixing my little problem in this latest update!
    I immediately checked after downloading latest update and viola!...the dot-disappearing act is no longer a problem.
    Many, many thanks for that