Thread: Pin/Unpin rulers

Twaager Guest

Lightbulb Pin/Unpin rulers

In the discussion on symmetry in another thread, the perspective tools in other software were discussed.

Since Artrage basicly is a freehand painting and drawing digital tool, there is no reason for more advanced CAD like perspective aids, like in Sketchbook. The basic idea of freehand and natural media emulation is Artrage's future and strength. I am sure about that.

But still, Artrage could do with a little more sofistcated ruler. Just like when I draw perspective and the limited paper size makes me use the table top to set marks outside the paper, Artrage could do with a "pin outside the paper function" He are some ideas about that:

When I have to stretch the ruler far outside the paper I would like to pin the ruler position. It could be done by clicking the pin and use a "Pin / Unpin" option. The software register the pin position on the screen as well as on the ruler.

The same click-the-pin can show the "Show Ruler / Hide Ruler" option.

The pin(s) should be left there outside the paper for the artist to return to activate /show the rulers if necessary.

Not until the artist decides to Unpin the ruler it can be removed.

Is this a good idea? Is it hard to code?
    Last edited by Twaager; 04-23-2012 at 06:15 AM.

Gallery
    View images
    Hey Twaager,
    Unless I've misunderstood what you are asking for (which is not unkown with an idiot like me) . . . .

That's already in place.
    I do that all the time now. It's one of the strengths of the software that it's possble to move the pin to wherever you want on the ruler and leave it set up outside the canvas on the desktop. Perfect for perspective rigs and such.
    Nick Harris Artwork
    http://nickillus.com

New system as of April 2011
    i5 quad core - Asus P7P55LX
    Windows 7 Home Premium
    8gig DDR3 RAM
    Wacom intuos 3 A5
    Radeon 512mb graphics card

Twaager Guest

Exclamation Here is what I mean

I know how to use the rulers. But there is no way (as I know of) to save sever rulers and their settings outside the paper. On the paper you can mark the position by using the pen.

My idea is, if you use several rulers, and they get in the way for you, the position could be saved. After hiding the ruler, just click the pin (which is still left out there, carrying the pin position information for both canvas and ruler. A real great idea (at least that is what I think. IMHO. )

Gallery
    View images
    I see what you mean, and wasn't suggesting you didn't know how to use them.

However if you save a document that has rulers pinned in place they are saved as well, and reappear as they were with pins outside the canvas still there when the document is reopened. At least that's been my experience. You have me needing to check now.

Yep - checked and that works.

As that is the case I'm still not sure I understand the problem. I have already admitted to being dim, so sorry about not getting it.

EDIT - Unless it's just that you want to be able to see the pin when the ruler is hidden. ??
    I just leave the 'active' stencil palette file open and control them from there.
    Yes - clicking on the pin to show/hide would be nifty too.
    Last edited by Nickillus; 04-23-2012 at 05:39 PM.
    Nick Harris Artwork

Windows 7 Home Premium
    8gig DDR3 RAM
    Wacom intuos 3 A5

Twaager Guest

Yes!!! X-actly what I needed!

Yes!!! X-actly what I needed!

Gallery
    View images
    haha! There's a manual?

We're real men - we don't read manuals - cough.

I only stumbled across it by accident but it's proved really useful. No wonder you were frustrated about the hide/show thing. That would have driven me potty too.

Enjoy.

Maybe we'd better both study the manual and compare notes?
    Nick Harris Artwork

Windows 7 Home Premium
    8gig DDR3 RAM
    Wacom intuos 3 A5

Gallery
    View images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickillus View Post
    We're real men - we don't read manuals - cough.

As a manual reader, I must say them be fighting words .

Just playing . Seriously though... More people should take the time. It's so much more fun, when you're not hindered by thoughts of "Can it do".
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Gallery
    View images
    Quote Originally Posted by Someonesane View Post
    As a manual reader, I must say them be fighting words .

Just playing . Seriously though... More people should take the time. It's so much more fun, when you're not hindered by thoughts of "Can it do".
    Now boys lets not fight, i read the manual from time to time to remind me of things.
    Graham Fisher
    Email: Home cripster99@gmail.com

Homepage: artwheel.org

Mobile: 021-029-75930

Artrage 2.6
    Artrage 3.5
    Artrage 4.04

Wacom Graphire 6x8 Bluetooth
    Win7
    4GB 64bit
    sp2