Thread: About mixing colors the normal way...

Gallery
    View images

Question About mixing colors the normal way...

Hi everyone

Is there a way to mix colors in the normal way ?

I mean if I mix a blue and a yellow i won't get a green...

Thanks

Gallery
    View images
    hy Leonard,

switch on "Real Color Blending" to mix colours the "normal" way

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	real colour blending.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	469.3 KB 
ID:	65924
    >>> MSIE's ArtRage Gallery <<<

"It's a living growing mutating art sculpture painting synthesis." (quote screenpainter)

Gallery
    View images
    The standard colour mixing model in digital environments is RGB, which is what you will be seeing, and is common to most art applications. However, as MSIE mentioned, we have a feature in ArtRage Studio Pro called 'real colour blending' where we emulate a more real world model e.g. yellow + blue = green.

I have a feeling you're using the iPad version based on previous posts. If this is the case, you won't have this real colour blending feature. Real colour blending requires more processor power so is more suitable to desktop computers which tend to have higher speed processors.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Gallery
    View images
    "I have a feeling you're using the iPad version based on previous posts. If this is the case, you won't have this real colour blending feature."

Infortunately you are right...

Thanks

Gallery
    View images
    Hate to say it, but I don't feel the "real color blending" is accurate.

I mix blue and orange, expecting to get a dull muddy color (like with real paints) and instead I get green. Complementary colors dull each other out, but not in ArtRage.

A couple other feature requests:
    - have presets for a lot of the basic painting colors (Mars Black, Cad Red Medium, Burnt Umber, etc)
    - let us mix these into swatches we can store
    - have an option so we need to actually "dip" the brush into a swatch before painting

Thanks!

Gallery
    View images
    Real Color Blending is a tricky process because the mathematics aren't easily representable inside the linear scales we get using digital colour storage. We have made a number of changes to the system over various generations of the product to try and improve specific blends but there may well still be some specific combinations that can be improved. We'll be looking at these as we release new versions, and we may allow some user customisation to help in cases where the simulation isn't tilting in the direction users want.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Gallery
    View images
    Thanks for the reply.

In version 3.0.8 (I'd link to the forum post, but it won't let me) it looks like the older version had it closer to reality. The colors darken (as they should). I wonder why the change?

Gallery
    View images
    The older version had some problems with cyan shift in yellow/blue blends so we adjusted it to make it better in the more common case.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Gallery
    View images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattRage View Post
    ...We'll be looking at these as we release new versions, and we may allow some user customisation to help in cases where the simulation isn't tilting in the direction users want.
    That's excellent solution. Just some dials as advanced settings, but please don't forget the button 'restore defaults'