Thread: Photoshop Brushes in Artrage

Gallery
    View images

Photoshop Brushes in Artrage

So, I've read Juz's tutorial on making Artrage compatible PS brushes. It worked, with some tweaking. However, I noticed shortly after ( ha ha) that there is an "Import Photoshop Brush" option on one of the menus. I've tried using it, only to get an error message saying that they aren't in a format supported by Artage. Even though when you select the Import option, it searches for .abr files. Any info on what might be the issue would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Gallery
    View images
    Could you provide a link to an .abr set that isn't working? I'm not sure if it makes a difference, but some Photoshop brushes use extra "texture" images, and secondary brush tip images. It's possible they're interfering. Though I haven't run into any, I don't think.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Gallery
    View images
    Thanks for the reply SOS, as far as what brushes, they are custom brushes from another tutorial. I tried the standard brushes that come with PS, but those didn't work either.

Gallery
    View images
    Apparently those particular files are somehow damaged, even though I can still use them in PS. I cannot import them to Artrage, however. I did download some new brushes, and those imported just fine. Odd.

Gallery
    View images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesmcalli View Post
    Thanks for the reply SOS, as far as what brushes, they are custom brushes from another tutorial. I tried the standard brushes that come with PS, but those didn't work either.

Not sure why they won't transfer. I've moved some of my personal brushes over, with no issue. But like I said, it might have something to do with the "Dual Brush" option, or extra textures.

You could always just do it the old fashioned way, however. Open Photoshop and on a transparent background canvas, make a single, large, dab with the brush tip, using a Pure red color (R: 255, G: 000, B: 000). Crop the canvas to match the size of the brush tip, and then export it as a .PNG image type. Open ArtRage SP, and open the Stickers Panel. Click on the New button, to open the Sticker Creator panel. Name the sticker, and select a group for it, then click on one of the "Color" boxes (which one won't make a different in this case). Use the browser window to select your .PNG image, and open it. Save the sticker, by clicking "OK". Now select the Sticker Spray tool, open the Settings Panel, and use the Sheet menu to select the Sticker. From this point on, it's up to you to set the variations panel the way you'd like it, so that it imitates its PS counterpart.

Gallery
    View images
    Guys where do i find the import photoshop brushes, i can't find it
    Graham Fisher
    Email: Home cripster99@gmail.com

Homepage: artwheel.org

Mobile: 021-029-75930

Artrage 2.6
    Artrage 3.5
    Artrage 4.04

Wacom Graphire 6x8 Bluetooth
    Win7
    4GB 64bit
    sp2

Gallery
    View images
    Quote Originally Posted by cripster View Post
    Guys where do i find the import photoshop brushes, i can't find it

Hi Cripster. You'll find the option on the menu tab of the Presets panel (when you have the Sticker Spray selected). I've pointed it out in my attached image. If you need more help, I have a short video tutorial on how to do it on YouTube. You can see that here: Video Link

_
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Gallery
    View images
    Thanks it worked great, now i'm going try some new stuff
    Graham Fisher
    Email: Home cripster99@gmail.com

Homepage: artwheel.org

Mobile: 021-029-75930

Artrage 2.6
    Artrage 3.5
    Artrage 4.04

Wacom Graphire 6x8 Bluetooth
    Win7
    4GB 64bit
    sp2

Gallery
    View images
    Sorry about that Jesmcalli, that's an older tutorial that hasn't been updated since the introduction of importing .psd brushes.

After importing them you will still need to take yourself through adjusting the variations dialog to get them to appear as they do in photoshop so much of the information is still applicable.

With regards to your issue i've put a tested and working in Artrage .abr file up on my server for you to try out. It's a small file to eliminate the possibility of it being a memory issue for a large import or problems that Someonesane has already outlined or such.

http://www.silicongraffiti.com/Natural_Brushes.zip
    Last edited by Juz; 04-09-2012 at 10:01 PM.
    "I paint because I love to cut mats" (Arthur Alexander)

Gallery
    View images
    It appears to me that the trouble with importing photoshop brushes depends on the version of Photoshop those brushes are for. When you get to brushes for version C3 and up you run into an imcompatibililty issue when trying to add them to Art Rage. You can do as Someonesane suggested and use the brushes to create a jpeg or png file and then use them to make new stickers.