Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: When Android ?

Gallery
    View images
    Android is better for artist only for one reason, the pen. The Galxy Note its just great to draw but sadly there is not a really good software. So I have a question. Is there a tecnical reason for the developers to make a good painting app?

Twaager Guest

ArtRage should consider support for all OS

My son is working as a computer programmer. He programs applications for Apple OS, Android OS and Windows OS all at the same time. He's apps works on all platforms for the highest possible economic benefit and publicity. The company he works for competes with other companies and it is necessary to support all platforms, else the company will suffer. Perhaps die. Triple OS programming and support is a must these days.

Android is by far the biggest OS today in the business of smart phones and tablets. Windows OS is quickly coming on with the latest version. That is why ArtRage should consider support for all OS.

Gallery
    View images
    Well I recently purchased an Android tablet. I looked at the Ipad as well and came to the conclusion the Android is not only cheaper but a superior tablet.....

I find it ironc Sketchbook Pro is available for my tablet but ArtRage is not. Perhaps its time to abandon ArtRage for Sketchbook Pro on my pc as well..

Gallery
    View images

infinte painter

I've been playing with infinite painter, it's just recently had an update. It has a lot of potential, if ArtRage continues to ignore the android community let's offer support to those who are at least willing to offer a solution.

Gallery
    View images
    I'm planning on getting a Galaxy Note phone in the next week or two-- with a 5.3" screen and apps that let you have approximately 1800 x 1200 canvases, running Ice Cream Sandwich while using a a pressure sensitive Wacom pen (a real stylus!!) I expect to be able to make nice rough sketches and art that I can truly import to my laptop/desktop later to develop.

Yes, it would of course be amazingly cool to have Artrage on my Android phone, running scripts, so I could really just run the script later and have a higher res duplicate of my sketch. But no go for now, and that's a bummer. No doubt.
    Check out and submit to the thread on Watercolor WIPs in Artrage-- lots of good tips and conversation
    My YouTube video tutorial series- How to Paint with Watercolors in Artrage
    Try out the free
    Artrage Pen-Only Toolbar to improve your workflow and reduce clutter
    List of other good tutorials on using watercolors in Artrage
    List of good sticker sprays for watercolor effects in Artrage

My blog- art, poetry and picture books- http://www.seamlessexpression.blogspot.com/

Gallery
    View images
    As I've mentioned frequently on the forums in various posts, we're not ignoring Android. The simple fact is that amount of effort it would take to port ArtRage to Android makes it unfeasible at this time and we are focusing our current development efforts on improving and updating our existing products for current users. Once we are done with our current round of updates it may become feasible for us to look at another operating system.

It's not as simple as just writing some code, folks, regardless of whatever anecdotal evidence there may be. There is a large amount of extra administration that comes with each new platform, not to mention expanding support systems and managing updates as the OS changes. The only reason there is an iOS version of ArtRage was that it was similar enough to our existing Mac OS version that porting, and subsequently supporting were relatively simple. Android is a completely different platform which would necessitate a significantly larger rewrite of our codebase and developing a completely new set of skills using toolkits that are entirely unfamiliar.

If you're wondering why there's an Android version of Sketchbook Pro and not ArtRage, go take a look at the size of the companies involved. We're a small company focused on trying to deliver the best we can to our customers, and spreading ourselves over a fourth platform at this time would severely hamper our ability to do that.

Like I've said before - We may do an Android port, but no amount of telling us how critical it is now is going to make us abandon our current user base to completely re-tool our application for a different platform.

If discussion here continues, please try to keep it civil and avoid throwing around accusations.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Gallery
    View images
    Matt's right folks. He's said this over and over again about Android. It's still a shame though Matt.

BTW, I just spent a 1/2 hour going over Infinite Painter, and it really does seem like the best art app out there for Android. Definitely worth looking up, as a way to integrate your "on the go" art process with over spaces.
    Check out and submit to the thread on Watercolor WIPs in Artrage-- lots of good tips and conversation
    My YouTube video tutorial series- How to Paint with Watercolors in Artrage
    Try out the free
    Artrage Pen-Only Toolbar to improve your workflow and reduce clutter
    List of other good tutorials on using watercolors in Artrage
    List of good sticker sprays for watercolor effects in Artrage

My blog- art, poetry and picture books- http://www.seamlessexpression.blogspot.com/

I get it about the problem in writing a while new program for a whole new OS, it really is too bad though. For people interested in Artrage, Infinite Painter is the closest thing on Android. A new update has just come out which has tightened up the app even better. It's not fee anymore, the free version has the usual ads popping up now. But it does have pressure sensitivity, and ics is beginning to appear on galaxy note devices. The world is getting better.

Gallery
    View images
    At the moment we're focussing on a large update to the desktop version of ArtRage. It's why we've been quiet for a while - it's going to have lots of improvements and important feature updates. Once that is complete we can look at other areas of ArtRage. Android is an area we are looking at, but we dont want to sacrifice the quality of our desktop version of ArtRage. So at the moment we're focussing our resources on the desktop version.

Mind you, if anyone knows an Adroid development superhero in this part of the world, who is committed and passionate about graphics programming, who can bend steel with just the power of their will, tell them to drop me an email. If they can convince me they're as committed to ArtRage as I am, I may have a job for them.
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

Gallery
    View images
    That's great news, I check the forum every week hoping to hear ArtRage is headed for Android! I can't wait.