Thread: Resetting the canvas to 100% zoom with a different gesture

Gallery
    View images

Resetting the canvas to 100% zoom with a different gesture

I had already mentioned this in the technical forum but I just thought I would post this in the suggestions forum because I strongly believe that the two finger tap that is used to reset the canvas to 100% zoom gets triggered far too often after using two fingers to pan and zoom around the canvas. The best way to fix this would be to either use a quick pinch gesture like Procreate uses or make it so that you have to tap and hold your two fingers for a fraction of a second longer on the canvas to reset it to 100% zoom. I also think that the three finger tap that is used to dismiss the lower menu should be replaced with a quick pinch outward and the three finger tap should be used to bring up a quick menu with predetermined brush sizes and other settings that people change frequently. I even think the three finger tap could not only bring up a quick menu with predetermined settings but also temporarily open every menu like brush settings, presets, layers and swatches simultaneously. You could then go through and change what you want with out having to tap on every single button. The three finger tap would be like your master gesture for opening up everything and then once you are done you just tap the canvas to dismiss everything.

Gallery
    View images
    +1

Especially, removing the double tap to reset the canvas. I accidentally trigger reset canvas all the time. I would prefer a snap to 100% and center when you're in the 90-110% range. (A couple of apps work this way, Sketch Club and ArtStudio.)

I like the idea of using a 3 finger tap as an advanced feature. I feel that many users don't take advantage (or know about) of the current 3 finger tap to hide the menu and just use the UI icon. This frees up 3 finger tap for us advanced users.

Gallery
    View images
    Totally agree, this is really annoying me please remove the double tap to reset the canvas!

Gallery
    View images
    +1 for this. I am really annoyed with constantly having to zoom in again. Have found out that I have to zoom in and then let go of one finger at a time, to have it stay at zoom level. Solve it. Now!

Gallery
    View images

yes

+1,
    I am so annoyed by this...
    Please change this, please.

Gallery
    View images
    If you find you are having to let go of one finger at a time then you probably need to shut down parked apps and reboot your iPad. The zoom reset only happens if you initiate a two finger tap event. If you hold two fingers on the device and zoom, then lift only one finger and place it back down the zoom level will not reset. It's likely that either your iPad is bogged down and slow to process taps, or that you are tapping with both fingers when lifting your fingers off.

We won't be removing the feature, but we may consider requiring slightly longer before processing the two finger tap.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Gallery
    View images
    I agree that if you aren't going to remove this feature that you should at least increase the time it takes for ArtRage to recognize the two finger tap. There is a good video on Vimeo where an employe from Artist Hardware who created the Sensu Brush is painting a portait and is encountering the problem of lifting off his two fingers after having zoomed in and the canvas resets itself to 100% zoom http://vimeo.com/39597002. I still think the three finger tap that is used to quickly hide the menu bars should be used for something else such as bringing up a quick menu with user defined brush sizes, presets, and even color swatches for example. The quick two finger pinch I previously mentioned could be used to quickly return to the main gallery instead of resetting the canvas to 100% zoom.

Gallery
    View images
    Yeah, right at 6:24 of that video, happens to me fairly often.

Gallery
    View images
    It could well be happening in the video because the iPad hasn't been rebooted recently or is bogged down, as I noted before. Changing the nature of the two finger pinch based on speed isn't something we would consider at this point, there's too much opportunity for people to accidentally pinch too fast when trying to zoom. If tapping and lifting two fingers is proving tricky it wouldn't really make sense for us to differentiate between two speeds of a single gesture.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Gallery
    View images
    This feature is useful and shouldn't be removed of course... But please change the gesture. It happens way to often somehow and it is driving me crazy. The same feature is handled better in procreate.

Quote Originally Posted by MattRage View Post
    If you find you are having to let go of one finger at a time then you probably need to shut down parked apps and reboot your iPad. The zoom reset only happens if you initiate a two finger tap event. If you hold two fingers on the device and zoom, then lift only one finger and place it back down the zoom level will not reset. It's likely that either your iPad is bogged down and slow to process taps, or that you are tapping with both fingers when lifting your fingers off.

We won't be removing the feature, but we may consider requiring slightly longer before processing the two finger tap.