Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Has anyone tried a fine stylus on an iPad?

Gallery
    View images

Has anyone tried a fine stylus on an iPad?

I am going to buy the new iPad... as now that AR runs on the iPad - I want it more than ever!
    Anyway, as much as I enjoy the idea of finger painting in broad strokes, I will be needing a stylus with a fine point for drawing with. I am hoping it will act much like a Wacom stylus although i do realize that pressure sensitivity is not an option at this stage.
    I have seen some stulus options on the Web but all have a stubby point which kind of defeats the object a bit dont you think? My fingers already have their own stubby points and I am looking for something finer.

Any suggestions anybody?

Gallery
    View images
    All the iPad stylus have a stubby point because the iPad is programed to ignore input that is too small or too big. Also I think people are afraid of scratching the screen.

With that said I've been using a Boxwave stylus and I'm pretty happy. If you think about it most of the tool ArtRage has have stubby points in real life. Markers, crayons, chalk, paint brush...

If by new iPad you mean iPad2, I hope it has better stylus support too.
    Last edited by monsterblues; 01-06-2011 at 01:23 PM.

Gallery
    View images

Don't panic, size doesn't matter

Rowena, you will be thrilled with your iPad. I absolutely love mine. Monster is right, the tip size doesn't matter the iPad needs a kind of stubby size to register. I have a pogo, and love the boxwave as well and here's to a link I make my own even better, by making them longer. I also use the iPad somewhat upright, just like painting on canvas.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/suzi54241/4885079515/

Good luck, can't wait to see your work.
    Susan Murtaugh satisfied user (ArtRage)
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/suzi54241/

Gallery
    View images
    Thanks

The only experience i have so far with a touch screen is with using Brushes on an old iPhone - and i find doing line drawing quite awkward...because my finger is about 100X thicker than any line and so it covers from view anything detail I might be trying to describe. This is probably to do with the tiny screen - which is why I want the iPad

And yes, my plan is to wait until the new iPad is released - this is because I cannot actually find the current for sale anywhere (our Apple merchandiser actually doesnt stock iPad's if you can believe it, but its true). So I might as well wait for the latest iPad which is bound to have improvements that make it worth the wait. But I wish it was here already!

Gallery
    View images
    I heard a rumor they were going to announce it Feb 1. I hope so, I hate to wait till April 1 when we all know it's out there.

Gallery
    View images
    Hi Rowena ----- Suzi just done this morning with a boxwave I'm just
    getting to grips with the IPad just begining to enjoy it hope this helps

----E/S
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Painting Title_015.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	138.8 KB 
ID:	52008  

Gallery
    View images
    Quote Originally Posted by suziQ54241 View Post
    I heard a rumor they were going to announce it Feb 1. I hope so, I hate to wait till April 1 when we all know it's out there.
    Yay!!! then its just around the corner and I wont have to wait too long
    I thought the iPad was going to be a bit of a let down after so many poor Web reviews... but it was seeing it and holding it in my own two hands that converted me in an instant. Its like having a slim sketchbook (which is exactly what I want it for).

Glad to hear you are enjoying your ipad Eighty, and I can just imagine the fun of it. Now I cant wait to get mine!

Gallery
    View images
    Quote Originally Posted by monsterblues View Post
    All the iPad stylus have a stubby point because the iPad is programed to ignore input that is too small or too big. Also I think people are afraid of scratching the screen.

With that said I've been using a Boxwave stylus and I'm pretty happy. If you think about it most of the tool ArtRage has have stubby points in real life. Markers, crayons, chalk, paint brush...

If by new iPad you mean iPad2, I hope it has better stylus support too.
    Hi Monster,

That's not quite true about the iPad being priogrammed for a specific size. It will register many sizes and a fine tipped stylus does work.

Try searching for "Superfine Stylus Pen" on YouTube. You'll see a DIY project.

Is the boxwave any good??

-Nick

Gallery
    View images

Gallery
    View images
    Thanks Suzi, I bought 2. Going to use them on my iPad and the other on my HP Slate 500 when I get it. I was looking for something better than the Pogo and the socks look to be it.
    See ArtRage2.5 and 3.0 Studio Pro Tutorials:
    http://www.youtube.com/JudithTramayne
    or
    http://www2.ambientdesign.com/artragebasic.html

Children's Book - The Wonderful World of Wunks
    Written, illustrated, animated and narrated by Judith Tramayne