Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Wish list for the next ArtRage

Gallery
    View images
    not sure if someone has already asked for this... but a "lock stencil" would be great. I often end up moving stencil while painting....

Gallery
    View images
    Roy,
    Your very simple method of simply making preset "setups" with layers, blending modes, tools, color, etc. even the active layer, pre setup ahead of time is ingenious and very simple. I love this idea.

Were you saving it to your desktop on purpose? Or can you save it anywhere? You're simply "importing an image"? Or are you saving it as an Artrage painting, and then just using "Open Painting", and direct it to the saved Canvas setup, whereever you save your paintings?

Gallery
    View images
    Hi Steve...

You can save it anywhere, really. I was just using the desktop as an illustration.

I actually save mine in whichever folder I've prepped for my client. And then I create a shortcut to the particular template file, which I pop onto the desktop, and then into the quick shortcut bar bottom left on Windows7.

For instance, I might make 5 template files. All of them would have, say, a client logo top right, a texture image layer set to multiply, at the very top of the stack, so that all the work I do below it takes on the texture. And each of the five would have a different coloured canvas.

I'd choose my main drawing pen and colour, make the second from top layer active, scrawl something, erase, rechoose pen, then save on each.

I'd then pop each of the five shortcuts onto my shortcut bar.

Lastly, I've made a bunch of .ico files containing the colours of my most often used canvasses. So I go into the properties of the shortcut, and change the icon so it shows whichever colour I've made it.

What this gives me in the real world is active shortcuts to those pre-prodded canvasses. A purple icon opens the purple canvas. Etcetera. And because ArtRage allows me to open multiple canvasses, all I have to do is alt-tab to whichever open canvas I want.

The KEY thing to remember is to use SAVE AS near the beginning of your actual painting, so that you don't inadvertently paint over your template.

The second key is to make duplicates of the template files, stick them all in their own folder, and stick a shortcut to that folder on your desktop, so that you can get to the originals in moments.
    ROY BLUMENTHAL

Visual Facilitator: http://royblumenthal.com/portfolio

ArtRage 3.5.5 and 4.0.4 on:
    Fujitsu T901, Asus R1E

Gallery
    View images
    So... To address your question about what I'm actually opening...

Clicking on the shortcut icon I've set up opens up the actual pre-saved ArtRage file.
    ROY BLUMENTHAL

Visual Facilitator: http://royblumenthal.com/portfolio

ArtRage 3.5.5 and 4.0.4 on:
    Fujitsu T901, Asus R1E

Gallery
    View images
    It think a symmetry pencil tool lik in summopaint would be very cool

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DK4EiPkRapg
    Last edited by Zeropainter; 03-15-2012 at 05:56 PM.

Gallery
    View images

Someonesane - thanks!!!

Thanks Someonesane, yeah I've figured that out now, I'm totally new to digital art as you can tell. It's a lot of fun learning though.

Gallery
    View images
    Thought i'd chime in with what i have been wishing for most...

Skew/Distort Selection (beyond current squash/stretch)
    This is helpful for tweaking and experimenting with things like perspective, proportion, facial expressions, etc... Using Liquify from photoshop helps, but is definitely a hiccup in the workflow... Even just distorting a layer might allow for a workaround.

Symmetry
    Mainly for brainstorming concepts, and "finding" twists to existing ideas. More for thumb-nailing than finished images.... This is what keeps me going back and trying to like sketchbook pro... Not too hard to use it (or alchemy) and paste the result into AR... Just something else keeping AR from being a complete solution. For me anyway.

Couple minor things--

Ability to make selection or layer into a ref image--
    Mostly to pick colors from. You can use a layer but it doesn't stay put when you zoom/pan around.

Flip canvas as a toggle rather than having to hold the h key--
    Extremely helpful for checking my work. But tough to make corrections while holding the h key down ;p

Thanks for reading =)
    Last edited by Fuzatron; 03-17-2012 at 11:44 PM.

Gallery
    View images

Higher zoom for ipad

Now we have the iPad 3 and retina display can the zoom function be higher then 800% so I can get closer to the pixels please
    Christine.
    A blind doodler having lots of fun
    (Paint what you see, not what you know to be there) in my case it's (paint what I know to be there not what I see).
    Ipad Gallery. http://members.artrage.com/gallery_categories/28

Gallery
    View images
    I would like to be able to clip a layer to another layer-- basically, say, use an Overlay layer, "clip" it to the layer below it, and have that effect only affect the layer that I've clipped it to. This would be nice as well for doing color work etc. Essentially, it allows me to use one layer as the selection for another layer, without having do actually having to go through the "Select Layer Contents" routine. It has multiple functions, but the blend modes is the use I see that would be most powerful.

On the note of Blend Modes, it would be very helpful to be able to make a Group and have a "super" Blend Mode for the Group, that would only affect that group. OR that atleast if I put layers in a Group, the blend modes I was doing in there wouldn't "leak out" of the Group and affect other layers. It'd be almost like stacking paintings on top of each other, because they'd be more independent.

Alpha channels would be nice too. Then I could just import the image I want for texture right to the Alpha channel, and I wouldn't need to go through the Overlay process.

Gallery
    View images

Masks

Someonesane, the stencils in AR are a fine idea, and lend themselves to many uses - to mask areas of the picture, but also to use one part of the picture several times (to name just the obvious ones) - but they have one irritating problem: once you've made a stencil, you can't edit it. It would be terrific to have the possibility to add something to what's on the stencil, or to erase part of it. Right now, to achieve this I have to make another stencil, which is a bit tedious.

Speaking of masking, Photoshop and Painter both have a feature I'd very much like to see in AR - layer masks. For those who do not use the aforementioned programs, this is a sort of black and white overlay on a layer where you can define which parts of the parent layer are visible and which are not - you can paint on it in grayscale, where black hides and white reveals the image that is masked. This is a different way of masking parts of the image you don't want, or rather - of erasing them, but non-destructively. Arguably, this may not sit well with AR's intuitive, "think as a painter, not as a designer" approach, but from my experience with Photoshop I know you can use them in a lot of creative ways...

Mikolaj