Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A cheaper alternative to the Cintiq

Gallery
    View images

A cheaper alternative to the Cintiq

Hi everyone. I just registered and I would like to share something with the community. I took a wacom intuos 3 board and a dell 15" lcd monitor and combined them to make a DIY Cintiq. I call it the never ending amount of fun!
    One thing I love about artrage is the freedom. One thing I hate about tablets is the precision. I like to see what I am doing but there was just no way in my budget to pay for a 21" Cintiq. They offer smaller models but I found them too small for heavy work.
    So I searched online to find the right monitor and craiglisted my way into a good deal on an intuos 3. The total price was less than $220.00 for this setup.
    I tore down the monitor and opened up the wacom. The top shell of the wacom can be sanded down smooth then clear coated with a urethane. Granted I lost my buttons/touch pad on the left side, the right side works just fine. I really don't have a use for the buttons with artrage.
    If anyone has any questions please feel free to ask.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P2030104.JPG 
Views:	259 
Size:	471.5 KB 
ID:	41094  

Last edited by silvermerc50; 02-03-2010 at 07:00 AM.

Gallery
    View images
    a pic from the side
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P2030105.JPG 
Views:	240 
Size:	464.4 KB 
ID:	41096  

Gallery
    View images
    Here's a video of the tablet in use. This was a trial to see if I dialed it in and to make sure it was up and running properly.
    [youtube.com/watch?v=xF4W87nVf4Q]
    Cant post direct links yet so please copy and paste.

Gallery
    View images
    You must be a genius ! If I even dared to try to begin, I would already have a heart-failure before starting!
    I envy you ! Congratulations !
    Just say: "Rage It", because we already know it's art.

My ArtRage 3 and 4 Gallery------My Site ------- BROWSE MY BOOK

Gallery
    View images
    Thank you hanzz. This tool in the right hands would be a deadly combo. I took the tablet to my last college and people were floored with the idea but the school opted for the "real deal" and bought 2 for $4500. They could have made one for every art student. If anyone is interested in making one or having me make one for them, I still have 2 monitors left.
    Last edited by silvermerc50; 02-03-2010 at 07:25 AM.

Gallery
    View images
    How did you accomplish accurate pen calibration? How did you line up the Wacom components with the screen and how did you attach things? Which driver did you use? Do you still have pressure sensitivity?

Gallery
    View images
    I would love to see more details and pictures of this idea.

Gallery
    View images
    Kudos to you - excellently made! Me and my friend had this idea for a long time, but never had it done. Respect to your skills!
    "I'm a fuel injected suicide machine. I am the rocker, I am the roller, I am the out-of-controller!"

Gallery
    View images
    How did you accomplish accurate pen calibration?
    The wacom intuos3 board can sense the pens ~9mm off the surface of the tablet. Torn down the dell monitor is only ~4mm thick. I layed the board down and lined up the monitor and just dialed in the responsiveness of the pen. Sometimes it was off a few mm and sometimes a few inches. The calibration is pretty straight forward. Once you get it dialed in tape it down.Using the wacom tablet preference utility I adjusted to my personal settings.

How did you line up the Wacom components with the screen and how did you attach things?
    In between all components I used bristol board, ~1mm thick and no shorts, or scratches.Once it was lined up and dialed in I used foam core board to support the monitors fcc cables. Tape it down. The dell monitor comes with an external power supply so there was little to no interference with the two machines. I did find if your off in calibration or if the monitor isnt level you might get a jittering effect. Easy to fix its all in the placement. No need for any kind of shielding besides the bristol board. I used the back of the monitor case to house any components away from the tablet/screen. Then I took the front of the wacom board and used the top of the board to protect the screen from damage from the pens. Then I found a cheap 24" adjustable arm for a small lcd tv and mounted the tablet to it.

Which driver did you use?
    I use windows vista home, windows 7 and linux uubuntu and this tablet works on all three machines. I went to wacoms site and downloaded 6.1.3-5. I downloaded this a few days ago but I have always just downloaded updated wacom drivers from wacoms site for each of the operating systems.

Do you still have pressure sensitivity?
    Yes all pressure sensitivity levels for intuos 3 work fine on a multitude of programs and websites I like to play mafia wars on it.

More Pics to come

Gallery
    View images
    simples * lol