Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Book illustration

That's good information Sav.

I don't suppose you are considering doing another little gem in the same mold? In all your spare time . . . . .
    It would be delightful to see another thread like this from you where we could follow its progress with bated breath. This one has been packed with insight and inspiration. Many thanks for that.

I know I'm working on some book plates for a job at the moment and have scaled them up to 150% so that the work is not quite as fiddly to do (the plates are relatively small). Also they should look crisper when printed. That's working in Sketchbook Pro but you can do it in AR as well of course. Just remember to reduce the things down to the right proportions for actual printing.
    Nick Harris Artwork
    http://nickillus.com

New system as of April 2011
    i5 quad core - Asus P7P55LX
    Windows 7 Home Premium
    8gig DDR3 RAM
    Wacom intuos 3 A5
    Radeon 512mb graphics card

Thanks Nick. That's also good advice. I think I would make them bigger next time because fine details were occasionally too pixelated at 7 inches.
    Can't wait to see what you're working on, always a pleasure!!
    I've been a bit lazy on the ideas front for another book but I have some vague notions of where the story could go. However there is that eternal problem - I felt I learned a lot through doing the first book (which was the point after all,) but now that I've learned more I want to go back and improve what I did because of what I learned! I'm not sure I could bring myself to do that and anyway it would be a shame to tamper with the chronology of evolving 2D styles, but the upshot is that any second book would probably look different.
    Cheers

Hey Sav,
    Great to hear you are thinking about another book idea.
    Personally I don't think there is any need to go back and fiddle with your utterly charming first.

The majority of us get that 'I wish I'd done this. . . . ' feeling about projects. I have the urge to go back and fix just about every single piece I've ever done.

The temptation with digital and this comparatively new outlet for publishing where we have so much control, is more pronounced because the opportunity is there in reality.

Rather than go back and tamper with Piggotty, implementing everything you learned in actually producing it in the first place, why not take the characters forward into an sequel?

That way you get to play with the characters some more if you wish, but with the new, improved production strategies that you've taken on board. It might satisfy any urges about Piggotty and give you a new book in the process.

Only a thought. Whatever you do will be great and I can't wait to see something appear here about it.
    Nick Harris Artwork

Windows 7 Home Premium
    8gig DDR3 RAM
    Wacom intuos 3 A5

I would give my right eye to be this good. Well done.

Too kind Palex!
    Nick I think you are right, one can only go forward with a view to strengthen characters and storylines. I hope I get round to it - too many new ideas pop into my head and they're all viciously scrapping for a big piece of that rarest of things, my spare time!! I'm sure most of us know that feeling.
    Cheers

I look forward to another book too Sav. I love the first one just the way it is and I'm happy I bought one. I'll be in line for your next effort as well. Great stuff.
    Be well,

"Teach, Learn, Thrive"~DM

Hi Fashmir
    Thanks very much, I felt honoured you bought one. Any more encouragement and I might just have to start on this!!
    Cheers

I bought it too Sav - totally without hesitation.

Off you go then. Next project. You've had the extra encouragement you mentioned so no excuses now . . . .
    Nick Harris Artwork

Windows 7 Home Premium
    8gig DDR3 RAM
    Wacom intuos 3 A5

I was curious what scale you guys would recommend working at for something like this?

If I was doing traditional media I might do 125 or 133%, but with digital I've wondered. If any of you wanted to make a 9 x 10 print image, would you just work at 2700 x 3000? Or would you still work at a slightly larger scale, just to get more detail in- say, 3600 x 4000, or something like that? Or do you think that's just sort of overkill? I don't mind working big, but there comes a point when I've wondered if it needlessly is slowing down my system. It would be very instructive to hear from those that work professionally in the field.