PDA

View Full Version : Painting at different zoom levels

NewCube
06-09-2006, 04:40 PM
Hi,

If I have a 5000 x 5000 canvas and zoom all the way out, then draw a curve with the pen tool (for example), when I zoom back to 100%, will the line still be smooth or can I expect some 'stepping' where AR has interpolated my arc sample points?

I guess the real question is: Do I lose quality / fidelity working at a zoom of less than 100%?

Cheers!

drzeller
06-09-2006, 06:07 PM
I just tried this to confirm... the strokes made while at 100% zoom and 500% zoom look the same when switching between the two zoom levels -- to me anyway.

Try this in the free version if you don't have the full version.

D.

AndyRage
06-10-2006, 02:42 AM
ArtRage does some time-based interpolation. If you draw your circle quickly, it'll be smooth. But if you draw slowly, ArtRage assumes you want the precision of each point, so you'll end up with a 'blocky' curve.

drzeller
06-10-2006, 01:45 PM
Andy, does AR's behavior change when using different zoom levels - which I think is what the original poster was concerned about?

Thanks,
D.

Aged P
06-10-2006, 02:13 PM
Andy,
Does this time based interpolation apply across the whole program?
When I just throw a landscape together with the Tube and a Drybrush, as against carefully postioning stuff, it always looks smoother.
Is that chance or design?

Coming back to the original point. How is speed judged?
If I use a big canvas, but then zoom out and use big tools, what is the measurement based on? Pixels per time unit?

AndyRage
06-10-2006, 08:51 PM
drzellar - it can change based on the zoom level if you're painting slowly. Especially with a mouse where we can do sub-pixel accuracy.
If you're zoomed out to 25%, you have only one in four pixel locations on the screen compared to canvas coordinates. So if you draw slowly, as your mouse passes from one pixel coordinate to the next, you are popping across four canvas pixel coordinates instantly. So a circle will have 'steps' of four-pixel spacing. If you draw fast, ArtRage just smoothly interpolates using splines so the steps dont appear.

AgedP, the time is kinda complex - not a pixel-per time measurememt. There are several filters in place to ensure we get good consistent meaningful input data.

NewCube
06-12-2006, 08:59 AM
Cheers, that answered my question.

AndyRage
06-12-2006, 09:40 AM
Of course the reverse is true as well. If you zoom in, you're able to do sub-pixel accurate placement of things.