PDA

View Full Version : How about a 'critiques' gallery.

AndyRage
06-09-2006, 12:17 AM
I know many artists are sensitive about other people making suggestions about changes they could make to paintings - after all whose to say the artist didn't intend to imply detail, rather than explicitly paint it in...

So, I was wondering if anyone was interested in us having a gallery specifically for getting critiques, criticisms, suggestions, hints and help on their paintings.
That's not to say you're not allowed to critique elsewhere, but the understanding on this forum is that if you post, you do so with the intention of getting other artists to point out ways they feel you could achieve a result more closely aligned with what you intended.
For example, I *know* I didn't intend my clouds to look like marshmallow. But unless I invite suggestions on ways to make it look more like a photograph of cumulus clouds, who is to know.
So, if you were to post an image to the critiques gallery, you do so in the knowledge that the image may well be pulled apart, suggestions offered on ways to improve or change it. It's not an invitation for people to denigrate works or belittle artists. But it is an invitation to discuss ways to get results more closely aligned to your intentions.

Votes for 'yay' or 'nay'?

Fashmir
06-09-2006, 12:34 AM
I usually just say somehting like "crits welcome" or "C & C Welcome" if I want people to feel free to pull it apart. I think it might be a good thing for this group though. Sort of the equivelant of getting on the "high dive" at the local pool. Only climb the ladder if you really mean to jump. If you post to the critique gallery you can expect to get serious constructive critique and possibly paint-over examples of what the person attempting to teach intends. My $0.02

drzeller
06-09-2006, 02:10 AM
I like that idea. I know I sometimes I want give someone some ideas, but hold back for fear of offending. The thing I did with shading the fruit for someone tonight gave me anxiety before posting it!

If there were a critique gallery, we'd know it is ok to suggest things.

D.

Selby
06-09-2006, 03:37 AM
'yea' vote :)

Sethren
06-09-2006, 05:04 AM
Ditto. :D

justG
06-09-2006, 05:38 AM
Yea.

However, I think the forum descriptions will need to be made more explicit. We are already seeing some overlap, pieces posted to the community projects forum that belong in the gallery, etc. Our gallery is getting really massive, and so more specificity is definitely welcome, but like AR itself, features need to be added in a way that doesn't muddle the interface and cause confusion.

- Gita

ENCHANTER
06-09-2006, 05:44 AM
Yep,

.... if someone advices me that my painting can be improved....thats fine with me...i would like to learn how to improve :)

Aged P
06-09-2006, 08:25 AM
However well intentioned, criticism can hurt.
A clear Government Health Warning will be needed. Particularly for the younger members.

Playing the age card once again, having attended many local art classes in many places, pre-permission should be clearly given before anybody alters someone else's painting.

Some people appreciate it, even rely on it to get an acceptable sellable result, but some want to hammer their paint brush into the critics' ear!

I realise it is only changing a copy, but folk can be very protective of their personal creative space.

For me there is a kick from good advice, given or taken.

I am totally in favour of having a constructive lions den.

XPert
06-09-2006, 09:09 AM
Yes! It's very good idea!

azathothgr
06-09-2006, 10:29 AM
Yes vote =)

Besides, I dont think that in this particular forum there'll be any misunderstood well ment critique.

PVIllustration
06-09-2006, 10:45 AM
I like the idea, but how about sorting the gallery in a more galant way?

I'm thinking in the sorts of:

Gallery -| (not possible to post here)
..............|
..............|--- Finished Work
..............|--- Work in progress
..............|--- Sketches/sketchbooks

Of course it would be up to the individual poster to say when the work is done (or admins in rare cases), but as I've experinced around on other forums most people can handle this quite well.

I'm in the honest opinion that if you show your works in public you should be ready for anything that comes back at you in terms of critique. If you just wanna flash your newest creation and don't want feedback (good or bad) you should probably just show it to your family.

NewCube
06-09-2006, 11:43 AM
I think this thread is a poorly thought out, rather messy attempt that could be made a lot better if more colours and fonts were used... ;)

Count me in!

dial-a-cliche
06-09-2006, 04:08 PM
I'm for it.

...but how about sorting the gallery in a more galant way?

I'm thinking in the sorts of:

Gallery -| (not possible to post here)
..............|
..............|--- Finished Work
..............|--- Work in progress
..............|--- Sketches/sketchbooks

I think PVIllustration's sort is neater.

sweeneymini
06-09-2006, 10:55 PM
Yay, sorta :P

I'd like to get constructive criticism, but I think the method of implementation needs careful planning, otherwise peeps will get confused about whether to post in one forum, or another forum, or both (alright, I'll get confused :lol: )

AndyRage
06-10-2006, 02:31 AM
I think this thread is a poorly thought out, rather messy attempt that could be made a lot better if more colours and fonts were used... ;)

Count me in!

Hehehe.
I can take constructive criticism.

8)

Hypnomedi
06-11-2006, 09:41 AM
OK , give your opion.
I can have critic, I can.... I can... I hope. :)

Johan

http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1082

ingie01
06-12-2006, 04:22 PM
(missed this post earlier)
Yea! One thing artists need is feedback. Usually positive by someone who is a peer.
The forum needs organization before this happens as pointed out by several others.

DaveRage
06-13-2006, 06:01 AM
Great ideas everyone. We're going through the options at the moment so you can expect to see some changes really soon! =)

cym
06-13-2006, 08:04 PM
I say yes, but you won't see any of my work there. I'm way too sensitive. :oops:

sbug51
06-14-2006, 07:29 AM
that would be very helpful!

Dickie
06-15-2006, 09:58 PM
An excellent idea, Andy. I find that I learn a LOT quicker through crits.

I've not drawn in years, so if I put something in the "Critiques" gallery, I can expect some new knowledge, which is always a good thing.

Dickie

ingie01
06-25-2006, 04:25 PM
My mother said all I did was pester, so
How about a critiques gallery?
please, please, with sugar on top!!!

Fashmir
06-25-2006, 04:39 PM
Ingie- Uh... dude... it's there.

ingie01
06-25-2006, 04:55 PM
There are none so blind as those who refuse to see.
Thanks Fashmir :oops: