PDA

View Full Version : Extra "scoot" when I lift my pen after making a st

archer
06-08-2006, 02:13 AM
I am noticing something in Art Rage: when I make a stroke, then lift my pen, I get an extra little "scoot" out of my brush.

imagine picking up your stylus, then having the stroke you were making continue for a little bit.

varying my wacom settings makes no diff, and this phenomenon doesn't occur in Photoshop or others.

any thoughts?

thank you!

PS: I should add that this happens with slow, deliberat strokes, and not with faster, more flowing ones.

archer

cripster
06-08-2006, 02:27 AM
I find this happens some times to me as well, and with all the tools i stop abit before the end to counter it :)

turtlemock
06-10-2006, 03:35 PM
Hmm! Just a suggestion. Check to see if the stylist tip cap is screwed tight. (It does loosen and fall off.) Also in the Wacom settings click on the force porportions and see if that changes anything.

Aged P
06-10-2006, 04:21 PM
Are you working with large size pics and/or tools?

At 500% I have to wait while the Brush catches up.

It carries on for up to 2 secs if I've been doing fast stuff.

I know that it's caused by lack of system power.

archer
06-10-2006, 04:28 PM
what I'm experiencing isn't catch up on a large brush (tho that does happen) but on a smaller brush, and a slow, deliberate stroke, where the stroke continues a little bit AFTER I lift the stylus.

archer

Aged P
06-10-2006, 04:38 PM
OK, I get the same. Plus, if you take a brush with default settings and 1% width, not only does it have a switch off lag, but it has an even longer start up lag.

One for Andy possibly!

drzeller
06-11-2006, 12:39 AM
I find this happens some times to me as well, and with all the tools i stop abit before the end to counter it :)

That is the same thing I do. It appears several of us encounter this, so it is not just you!

Just offhand, I am using an Intuos 3.

D.

thesleepless
06-13-2006, 11:23 PM
i get this problem even when using the mouse, so i don't think it's a tablet issue

halley
07-18-2006, 02:20 PM
A couple thoughts here:

One, with a really big brush you can see that the program is drawing a very squared-off ending for your stroke UNTIL you release. That's because it doesn't know whether you're going to turn left, turn right, go straight, or end the stroke. So it doesn't draw ahead of your pen's tip. As soon as you let up the pen, it "finishes" the stroke with a less artificial looking end for the stroke. This goes slightly beyond the point where you lifted the pen.

Two, this happens a little with natural media too, but you might not notice it. If you take the centerpoint of the brush's bristles as your "position," there will always be paint that goes past the end of that stroke. Also, with big brushes with springy bristles, you need to account for a little flick when lifting the brush from the canvas; either by ending the stroke early or reversing the stroke a little bit at the end.

It would be nice if artrage drew some sort of indication of exactly how the stroke would finish if you were to end the stroke, but it would have to erase that appearance for as long as you continued the stroke. I expect they decided that it was too much of a performance hog, or even less visually attractive, than the squared-off approach that they're using now.

DaveRage
07-20-2006, 01:34 AM
Just so that I make sure I am understanding this correctly, would this be the same behaviour as:

Paint a single stroke. At the end of the stroke keep your stylus on the tablet and still. Note that the end of the stroke does not match the exact point your stylus is at, rather it has stopped a little behind it.

Now lift the stylus ( Or if you're using a mouse, release the button ) and you'll notice that the stroke advances.

Halley is correct, it's because in order to do smooth curves when you're painting, we need to have an idea of where the brush is going next. So we always stay a small amount back from the exact position of the stylus to avoid erratic wobbly-looking strokes when you're trying to do a smooth curve.

When you lift the stylus to end the stroke, the media fills in that last little bit to match the final location of your stylus. The reason it may look as if it's beyond the point of the pen is shown more clearly if you turn off precise cursors. The stroke advances to fill that area, again as if the stylus is at the centrepoint of the bristles.

Hope that's of some use!

emremeydan
07-21-2006, 10:27 PM
Well, here's a suggestion:

Wouldn't it be better if that "buffer zone" was temporarily filled with rough-looking paint (with sharp corners etc) just to give a general idea of how the paint is laid on the canvas, and then replaced with the actual "calculated" paint stroke as soon as the stylus is lifted or moved?

This method could also be used for when the brush is so big that the processor can't follow with the calculations - place a rough stroke while drawing and then replace it with the calculated one. I think it would be better than having a "delayed" stroke.

emre

AndyRage
07-21-2006, 10:32 PM
Some sort of proxy for the placement is on my 'to do' list.