PDA

View Full Version : what can we expect from the next version? ^_^

thesleepless
06-07-2006, 09:39 PM
yes time to annoy the developers and ask what we really want to know.
what new features / fixes can we expect to see in the next version of artrage?

if you don't want to say, that's ok =)

AndyRage
06-07-2006, 10:58 PM
I'm afraid at this point I cant tell you, because I dont know!
Matt has been away in Germany for a couple of weeks. He's due back in a few days.
We'll sit down with the looooong list of stuff we'd like to put into ArtRage, and make decisions about what to work on, in what order.
We need to decide how all the features we want will fit into ArtRage without breaking it, so we get a nice unified look and feel.
And we need to decide on the order of adding the features, because it's certain we'll have to do 'point releases' on the way.

Our goal is to completely define what ArtRage 3.0 will look and feel like, but set an additionall part-way goal of a 2.5 release to give some new tools and features on the way.

So I can't tell you because I dont know yet. The list of things we want to put into ArtRage is very very long.
(and there are bunches of really boring stuff I have to do as well, like the better memory management, PSD 16bpc, and the like, which many people wont even be aware of.)

thesleepless
06-08-2006, 10:38 PM
thanks andy for the quick response
lots of point releases would be great as it's always nice to see new things, even if its a small change, as the saying goes "release early, release often. and listen to your customers", you're doing pretty well so far =)

thanks for the awesome product guys

Charlie
06-08-2006, 10:55 PM
I totally agree with what thesleepless said. :D

Maybe post a few teasers too :wink:

AndyRage
06-08-2006, 11:28 PM
The only problem with doing 'point' releases is that it's actually quite a lot of work to do the release.
The point release has to be thoroughly tested - possibly going through a beta program if it has large changes.
There are several language versions to build, free and full. We need to build the patches to take registered users to the latest build. We need to update our online store.
It can chew through many days just doing the actual releasing.

One thing an upcoming version *will* have is an online updater, so registered users wont need to manually patch anymore.
There's a fair bit of work in doing that right as well though, so we're being cautious about it.

thesleepless
06-08-2006, 11:48 PM
i guess i was thinking of the point releases as more of an 'odd number' open beta, that way people know it's not a finely polished release but they can still enjoy the new features if they're willing to ride the bleeding edge and its risks, or if they're the more cautious type they can stick with the 'even number' release

i guess i'm too used to the open source bazaar style release system, which probably doesn't work too well in the proprietry world. so feel free to ignore =p

AndyRage
06-09-2006, 12:10 AM
Go on, admit it, you just want to keep getting new toys to play with. ;)

thesleepless
06-09-2006, 12:19 AM
so true =p if i run out of new things to play with i'll eventually have to get back to doing some work *sigh*

grymmjack
06-09-2006, 11:57 AM
I'm afraid at this point I cant tell you, because I dont know!
Matt has been away in Germany for a couple of weeks. He's due back in a few days.
We'll sit down with the looooong list of stuff we'd like to put into ArtRage, and make decisions about what to work on, in what order.
We need to decide how all the features we want will fit into ArtRage without breaking it, so we get a nice unified look and feel.
And we need to decide on the order of adding the features, because it's certain we'll have to do 'point releases' on the way.

Our goal is to completely define what ArtRage 3.0 will look and feel like, but set an additionall part-way goal of a 2.5 release to give some new tools and features on the way.

So I can't tell you because I dont know yet. The list of things we want to put into ArtRage is very very long.
(and there are bunches of really boring stuff I have to do as well, like the better memory management, PSD 16bpc, and the like, which many people wont even be aware of.)

Can you please keep the original simplicity and elegance intact? I've seen it happen before to well designed programs that just get what is called "feeping creaturism" in the hackers lexicon. As things grow more complex it is very difficult to contain them in a simple way. Please use your jedi skills on this, it's my most important request for the new versions. You already have done it, my request is to please "keep doing it".

AndyRage
06-10-2006, 02:24 AM
grymmjack, of that you can be assured.
Matt and I work as a team. I'm the one all keen to add new technologies and cool toys, he's the voice of reason who has to fit it into the UI and workflow.
We will absolutely not add a feature to ArtRage if it will break the feel or the workflow.

ArtRage *will* get advanced new featues - of that there's no question. But it will *not* get them in a way that breaks what ArtRage currently is or does.
And you can be assured there's a very competent, critical team of Beta testers who will quickly let us know if they think we're ruining the concepts behind ArtRage.

grymmjack
06-10-2006, 11:24 PM
grymmjack, of that you can be assured.
Matt and I work as a team. I'm the one all keen to add new technologies and cool toys, he's the voice of reason who has to fit it into the UI and workflow.
We will absolutely not add a feature to ArtRage if it will break the feel or the workflow.

ArtRage *will* get advanced new featues - of that there's no question. But it will *not* get them in a way that breaks what ArtRage currently is or does.
And you can be assured there's a very competent, critical team of Beta testers who will quickly let us know if they think we're ruining the concepts behind ArtRage.

Excellent. That's good news :)

aesthitic
06-17-2006, 07:31 PM

i want to be a beta tester

:D

i know how to program a little, so i'd be able to tell you technically what's wrong :P

samIambic
06-18-2006, 05:05 PM
Hey, Me too! I wanna be a beta tester too!

(hey aesthetic, what's a beta tester?)

Seriously tho, it's great to hear that AR's simple, lovely integrity will be preserved.

By-the-by, I think I just sold my 3rd. Full version of ArtRage! (the glitter tool pushed her over the edge) The last one was to a wonderful artist I've known forever who called me and literally squeeled into my ear how much fun she was having. She said she was going to use it like some other ArtRagers, to do pre-studies for her paintings. I'M trying to get her into the forums.

I think we should start talking commisions, here, Andy...

AndyRage
06-18-2006, 10:13 PM
Hehe. Fantastic stuff, SamIambic.
Commissions? Geeze!
Here's a better suggestion... to every person you sell a copy, ask them to refund you half the difference in cost between ArtRage and another computer painting application. That way you make lots of money, and they still save almost 50% of what they could have spent on another package. ;)

samIambic
06-18-2006, 10:32 PM
Great idea, Andy, I was thinking of maybe a free beta but that's much better.

AndyRage
06-18-2006, 10:38 PM
We're quite a long way away from a version for beta testing. The next release will have major new features added (yet to be written!)
When the time comes, as usual, we will be accepting bribes to get onto the beta list ;)

samIambic
06-18-2006, 10:54 PM
Having lived in the city of Chicago for a # of years I do understand the value of a well placed bribe, however, before I get too committited I have one ?, this beta testing, is it dangerous?

AndyRage
06-18-2006, 11:07 PM
It's very very very dangerous.
There are many potential pitfalls. Beta-testing is using pre-release software to test the new features work, and that they make sense in the application.
Biggest pitfall is that it is liable to crash - probably while you're in the middle of something important.
Beta software has the potential to corrupt previous saved projects if you load them into the beta version, making them unusable in any version of the software.
And we might put exciting features in that you fall in love with and decide you can't do without.... only to have us remove them from the released version of the software because we weren't happy with the quality or workflow.

On the plus side... you get to play with all manner of features before anyone else gets to see them. You get to gloat privately to yourself that you know what is likely to be in the released product before the other mere mortals. You are instrumental in shaping the usability of the product - if the beta-testers dont like how something works, then it probably gets changed. And you can pride yourself on contributing to the stability of the final release.