PDA

View Full Version : How Long Is Long?

sweeneymini
06-06-2006, 10:20 PM
I'm just curious to see how long ragers spend on paintings?

I'm doing one at the mo that I've been on for weeks with many a flight hours spent, and I'm only ~1/3rd through. I'm just wondering if I'm a slow painter.

Fashmir
06-06-2006, 11:26 PM
Won't know that till you show your work will I?

drzeller
06-07-2006, 02:03 AM
It really depends on what folks draw, what they are looking for in their work (a work of art, or just some stress relief, for example), and how talented they are. When fooling around, I can create many "throw-away" paintings in short period -- but I am having fun or playing with a technique. On the other hand, I had a large floral one that I did that took two long nights -- which is about as long I normally spend on something I care about. I have a low patience threshhold! I'm sure the better artists here spend much longer - and get wonderful results. I have one detailed one that I am playing with now that I can only focus on for an hour or two each time, so total time may not be that long, but it is being done over weeks.

D.

bcmillustrator
06-07-2006, 02:49 AM
Usually, my paintings take 2-8 hours to do. I've found, however, that if I can tell if a painting is going astray in the first couple of hours, I will tend to throw it away and start over, whereas with natural media, I will tend to work at it more. There is no control-Z in the real world!

sweeneymini
06-07-2006, 04:43 PM
Won't know that till you show your work will I?

Heres a WIP then :?
Its 20% the original height.

and its of my niece (she's in the background. I'm not a zebra :wink: )

I'm thinking maybe airbrush for the zebras satiny dress, maybe mix of airbrush and light load brush for the hair & hairfur and a heavyloaded brush for Maisie's skin.

It would have been nice to get it done for father's day, but that isn't gonna happen.

Hypnomedi
06-07-2006, 05:07 PM
As far as I can see with all the effort you make.
Just keep it like this, it shall be great !!!

I am now busy on my best until now and it costs me a lot
more time and effort. But when it is finisched
I will be very proud. even if I have to say it myself.

Your painting look already great, just take your time.
It is the result that counts!

Johan

Aged P
06-07-2006, 06:07 PM
That is so good!
Whatever time that took was the perfect amount.

Never paint against the clock if you can avoid it.

sweeneymini
06-08-2006, 09:56 AM
I'm very happy that you like it :D

I'll stick to the same pace and get there in the end then :)

NewCube
06-08-2006, 11:04 AM
That's almost photo realistic! Could you post a portion of the Zebra's head at 100% scale please? I'd love you see your brushwork up close :)

sweeneymini
06-08-2006, 02:29 PM
Hi NewCube.

To paint the fur I first did a roller layer, which was more for my reference than actually being seen on the painting.

Then I added a glitter layer using a small gun size and tiny glitter size, to get the texture I wanted.

Then on top of that I added an oil paint layer to get the colours I wanted.

Fashmir
06-08-2006, 04:46 PM
sweenyminni- This is good work. I would love to see some close ups of this so we can all enjoy the texture and detail you've worked so hard on. To address your original question I would have to say that when the art is for yourself, time should be irrelevant. Any amount of time you spend is time well spent when you are being creative. On the other hand if you were doing this as a project for delivery to a client it may be taking a little long. You weren't specific about the actual amount of hours you've spent on it so I can only guess. One thing I include in my time estimates for client work is not just the time spent on the actual image but the many thumnails and color sketches I always do, as well as gathering reference and other information pertinent to the project. All of that factors into my time.

All that aside I have to say that I am looking forward to seeing more of this as you progress with it. Again I hope you will consider posting some close-ups too. This is quality work.

sweeneymini
06-08-2006, 07:57 PM
Thanks Fashmir :D

I'm painting it purely for myself, and I'll probably print it out one each for my mum and brother.

Looking at my backups, the line drawing was done on May 14th and I have 5 backups from days that I remembered to save one so I'd guesstimate around 15 hours or so work time.

Heres the close-ups. I'm afraid its nothing fancy :oops:

Actually, with doing the screenshots, it is the first time I've seen the top layer without the glitter layer. I can see that I've got more load around the eyes than on the muzzle area.

I was going to change the opacity of the glitter to make the zebra less 'nobbly' looking but now I think maybe it would look better if I made all the fur have more load instead :?:

I think that the extra load does make the face look less 'nobbly' than the muzzle, yet at the same time it would keep the fur texture better than changing the opacity :?: