PDA

View Full Version : Linux

azathothgr
03-29-2006, 08:46 AM
Hello again

Anyone using artrage on linux? It runs quite smoothly through wine, with no major bugs, though there are some very minor issues, the most eh- "serious" one being that the panels move towards the bottom right corner after you switch to another desktop, or minimize the prog. Horizontal ones go to the right, and vertical ones go to the bottom. Reference pics on the other hand revert to their original position. Its not at all important (there's no overlapping and such) only just a bit annoying :P

I was wondering if anyone knew a way to make it remember the positions properly, or if there's some option I'm neglecting ...

Also, are there any plans for a linux port ? Artrage does run quite well, but perhaps a port would be somewhat faster.
Just wondering if there's one planned in the future.

Thanks =D

DaveRage
03-31-2006, 03:26 AM
Hi Azathoth. I may have talked you tou briefly via email some time ago, the name rings a bell. Glad to hear it's working via wine, and certainly good to know about issues.

While I don't know regarding the panel placement I'm afraid, while we don't currently have plans for a Linux port it certainly is a possibility in the future.

hevonen
04-08-2006, 08:10 PM
I used it on FreeBSD and Wine, worked ok, but from time to time the cursor got crazy (it made only diagonal lines and from the wrong starting position). Restarting wine and artrage fixed it.

thesleepless
05-19-2006, 05:40 AM
i've been using artrage under wine for quite awhile and it runs quite beautifully, the only problems i've noticed are when saving and harddrive is full there is no notice of failure which can be quite a problem when you lose your work =(

unfortunatly it seems the latest version 2.1 doesn't work,
gets a runtime error: "R6034 An application has made an attempt to load the C runtime library incorrectly. please contact the application's support team for more information."

fixme:actctx:FindActCtxSectionStringW stub!
err:module:LdrInitializeThunk "MSVCR80.dll" failed to initialize, aborting
err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for L"C:\\Program Files\\Ambient Design\\ArtRage 2\\ArtRage.exe" failed, status c0000142

i'm guessing its something to do with the new version using version 8 of the MS C library rather than 7.1 and it didn't like me renaming msvcr71.dll to msvcr80.dll ^_^

anyone else had any luck getting 2.1 to work?

thesleepless
05-19-2006, 07:44 AM
found a way to get it to work, a quick google search returned a mailinglist with a post from azathoth =) the suggestion outlined in the reply proved successful

changing
@ stdcall FindActCtxSectionStringA(long ptr long str ptr)
@ stdcall FindActCtxSectionStringW(long ptr long wstr ptr)

to
#@ stdcall FindActCtxSectionStringA(long ptr long str ptr)
#@ stdcall FindActCtxSectionStringW(long ptr long wstr ptr)

in wine/dlls/kernel/kernel32.spec and recompiling wine worked like a charm and i'm now running 2.11 YAY!

AndyRage
05-19-2006, 10:33 AM
<blink... blink...>

Okay, great!

Seriously, thanks for posting that here. We occasionally get people asking about Linux.

justG
05-19-2006, 05:24 PM
lol. Andy, your response made me giggle. Thanks for updating this thread with that info, thesleepless.

- Gita

ScislaC
05-21-2006, 03:20 PM
For the record, just one more person to add to the list saying it would be nice to have a native Linux version of ArtRage. Xara has done great work porting their flagship product over (although they are going the open source route, so that's a bit different). I've been running ArtRage 2 Full through Wine myself and have been loving it.

Unfortunately, I did the update this morning and also had the problem with that C Runtime error. As much as I love AR, compiling Wine for myself is probably at the bottom of the list of things I want to do... so it looks like I'm stuck with 2.0 until the Wine guys make that change by default. :(

azathothgr
05-21-2006, 08:12 PM
Wine just doesn't know how to handle .manifest files yet.
They seem to contain info about how to load a specific dll , or something of the sort, so it's not specific to artrage, or to msvcr80.dll.

I think it's a feature that's meant to be added to wine eventually, so we won't have to recompile it.

thesleepless
05-21-2006, 11:41 PM
i really want to buy the full version, but i'm a bit worried because i don't know if it's going to work under linux the same as the free version, anyone tried it? or shall i be the first guineapig?

AndyRage
05-22-2006, 12:25 AM
If it doesn't work, we can organize a refund for you.
If it does work, make sure you let us know!

thesleepless
05-22-2006, 12:28 AM
ok, i'm sold ^_^ *waits impatiently for dad to get home with credit card*

thesleepless
05-22-2006, 01:59 AM
and i've got it and it works beautifully! YAY!

congratulations of making the only piece of software i've bought since quake 2 in 1997 =)

drzeller
05-22-2006, 02:35 AM
Hmmmm.... I have AR 2.11 full version, and my About display does not show the cat! What's up with that?!

:D

D.

thesleepless
05-22-2006, 02:40 AM
i dunno... i'm special? somehow it knew i like cats =^_^=

AndyRage
05-22-2006, 02:56 AM
Awesome! Thanks for letting us know. I hope you enjoy all the new things the full version of ArtRage gives you!

Tycho is a sneaky cat, known to make sudden appearances unexpectedly.

thesleepless
05-22-2006, 03:02 AM
if only i had enough ram to make use of the layers features =p
how many bits per pixel does artrage use in memory?

AndyRage
05-22-2006, 04:59 AM
Many! As well as Colour, bump, shininess, reflectivity, wetness information on a per-layer basis, there is also a working buffer for Undo, a final rendered buffer, and any off-screen compositing memory we need for the UI - but at least those last ones aren't for each layer.

And it doesn't have very clever memory management either, I'm afraid.
However, you should check you have a large swap-disk for windows set up as it does take advantage of virtual memory.

A high-priority on my 'to do' list is put in better memory management.

djmez
05-22-2006, 06:55 AM
Is your cat named for Tycho "Metal-Nosed Astronomer" Brahe?

drzeller
05-22-2006, 12:26 PM
Tycho is a sneaky cat, known to make sudden appearances unexpectedly.

Great... now I am going to lose drawing time just continuously re-opening the About box waiting for Tycho to show up!

D.

azathothgr
05-22-2006, 03:49 PM
Sneaky kitty munching on my layers ;D

AndyRage
05-22-2006, 09:07 PM
Ah, you found him in the layer stack as well, huh?
Sneaky cat.

ScislaC
05-23-2006, 11:32 PM
azathothgr: For the record I was viewing it as a Wine problem, not an ArtRage issue. :)

I'm thankful that the AD crew doesn't tie anything too tightly to the MS stuff and that it works so well in Wine... That's good application development if you ask me. :D

Now... to go nudge the wine guys. :wink:

AndyRage
05-24-2006, 12:04 AM
ScislaC, ArtRage uses our own UI and utility toolkit, called 'Goblin'. Goblin was written to allow us to compile one lot of source files to work on Windows, or recompile to work on OSX.
We've been tempted to do a Linux port as well - we're just scared that there's no money to be made there! A man's gotta eat!

Anyway, that's probably the reason ArtRage is friendly toward emulators - we have to keep the toolkit fairly generic so there's not too much re-coding on each platform. Which means we use as few 'platform specific' calls and functions as possible.

NewCube
05-24-2006, 12:43 PM
I often have wine problems. And beer issues..

John the Artist
05-25-2006, 02:17 PM
Many! As well as Colour, bump, shininess, reflectivity, wetness information on a per-layer basis, there is also a working buffer for Undo, a final rendered buffer, and any off-screen compositing memory we need for the UI - but at least those last ones aren't for each layer.

And it doesn't have very clever memory management either, I'm afraid.
However, you should check you have a large swap-disk for windows set up as it does take advantage of virtual memory.

A high-priority on my 'to do' list is put in better memory management.

I know exactly what you mean. I frequently paint at high resolution for the final output at 300dpi with a canvas size of about 4000x3000px.... Now, in that other "Painter" style app (the one that is buggy as all get out) it only chokes just a little... however ArtRage chokes a whole lot, even with 1.5GB of RAM on my Dual 1.25GHz G4 tower.

I'm forced to draw at a lower resolution, but ultimately I enjoy the experience much more.

I know photoshop inside and out, and if it would freely rotate images (without destroying them) I'd be all over that... but it's not an art program, it's an image manipulation program. I bounce between the two in order to meet all my needs.

We've been tempted to do a Linux port as well - we're just scared that there's no money to be made there! A man's gotta eat!

I often have wine problems. And beer issues..

Linux is all about "free as in beer" right?

=)

Aldrik
05-26-2006, 02:25 AM
Hi eveyone... (geat looking community you got here)

Thanks alot thesleepless! I submisted 2.11 with your info to the wine AppDB, when it gets added will I'll see if I can paint a good penguin for the screen shot page. :)

congratulations of making the only piece of software i've bought since quake 2 in 1997 =)I have to second that, lol us linux are suck big spenders. :wink:

Just out of interest (happy with my mouse) anyone using a graphics tablet with wine?

azathothgr
05-26-2006, 10:38 AM
Just out of interest (happy with my mouse) anyone using a graphics tablet with wine?

Yes, an intuos, with linuxwacom 7.3, on ubuntu dapper .
There has been some issues concerning tilt, though, general to the X server (gimp had incorrect tilt too)... Perhaps it was just with my system, I didn't compile the drivers correctly or whatever .. Once that was resolved, though, wine, artrage and tablet all work fine.

The problem was that tilt was registered only for positive tilts, ie for when the tip was pointing towards the upper left corner. Every other "quadrant" had negative or out of range values. It turned out that the way linuxwacom was sending specific device info (such as id and serial) to the server was somehow interfering with the tilt.. Completely removing that info from the driver solved the problem (I was told it was needed only for identifying different styli/tools on the same pad anyway).
I'm sure there's a way to actually fix the problem instead of just circumventing it, if it's a problem and not just my inability to compile properly, or perhaps it's already fixed in linuxwacom 7.4..
Feel free to pm me if you see the same behaviour, if only for a temporary solution.

charlesa
05-26-2006, 03:48 PM
I'm just writing to say that I am a member of the "running ArtRage on Linux" crowd. Since the UI for the whole app is self-contained, a port really wouldn't be too bad; the hardest bit is going to be dealing with the X11 protocols for dealing with tablets.

As a somewhat related aside, I just graduated and I need work =). I'm cheap, and I could do a port on a contract basis.

While the overall userbase of Linux is small, there is almost no competition in ArtRage's niche. Furthermore, while only a small percentage of Windows users ever install anything beyond a tiny core of applications, linux users tend to install everything.

AndyRage
05-26-2006, 11:12 PM
While the overall userbase of Linux is small, there is almost no competition in ArtRage's niche. Furthermore, while only a small percentage of Windows users ever install anything beyond a tiny core of applications, linux users tend to install everything.

Ah... but how many of them pay for software to install?

Aldrik
05-27-2006, 11:04 AM
Ah... but how many of them pay for software to install?Yeah thats the thing, I for one would have been happy to pay extra for a native linux version to help pay for the smaller marketshare. :wink:

Supporting linux also has lots of positive political implications, gives users/companys the freedom of choice & shows you have a well coded product. Having said that it dose run quite well with wine (even if it is a pain having to recompile) & i'm happy. :)

hevonen
05-27-2006, 12:38 PM

True, there are people who despise anything proprietary.
But Linux (and other free *NICES) are quite popular amongst motion graphics professionals and studios. Linux resembles IRIX and VFX studio's internal software was written for IRIX. That's why Maya, XSI, Shake and such are available and popular in Linux versions (though they cost several grands more than AR).

I don't know, maybe there is some niche to please there. I know that Disney asked Adobe to port PhotoShop to Linux but Adobe declined. So they run PS in Wine.
If you add that Computer Brush (hear! hear!) and some other tools people have been talking about you could get some following amongst motion picture background/concept/whatever artists. And AR is priced so that everyone could pay for it.
BSD people are not that shy about closed source, so that could also be a platform of choice.

Off-topic, but could these orange maximize/minimize grabbers at palettes made a bit larger (or like they were in AR1)? They are sometimes hard to hit with a stylus..

charlesa
05-28-2006, 01:49 PM

Ah, where I was going with that was that you would get the demo version out there to a substantial number of people who otherwise would never see ArtRage. I don't know for sure, but I would suspect that ArtRage2 has a purchase full version over download restricted version rate well above average, simply because the product is so great and layers offer such an increase in utility. Not to mention that the price is extremely awesome.

arash
05-28-2006, 08:45 PM

I am a ubuntu/dapper user and I have been looking for a tool like artrage a long time and I think there are others like me who keep a winxp , only for photoshop/painter and would love to pay 19,95 to get a grate tool like artrage and throw away windows forever. :D

thesleepless
05-29-2006, 08:40 AM
the reason most linux users don't pay for software is that there are generally better free products available, or the commercial products are rediculously overpriced,
however in this niche the only thing even in artrage's realm is the gimp, and it's not a bit like it and while being wonderful for photo editing, it's worse than photoshop when it comes to digital painting. at your current price range i think artrage would sell very well to the linux market.

Hellmark
06-07-2006, 06:54 PM
I'm a linux user, and I'd gladly pay for (another) copy of artrage. As mentioned before, most linux users go with software because there are things that do the job better for them for less, but when you're talking about something as cheap as Artrage, thats almost a moot point. For the average person, GIMP works fine, so they dont need to shell out $700 for Photoshop; blender works so they dont need to spend thousands on the only commercial modelers; OpenOffice is fine, so no need to spend $300 for Office; webserver, Apache works compared to Windows server and IIS for $250. Notice a theme there? Affordable programs still do fairly well under linux. Garagegames has versions of its games for linux in the $20-$30 range. Cedega is also affordable, and many people use that over WINE.

Untill there is a linux verison, I'll use Artrage for OSX.

ScislaC
06-09-2006, 09:30 PM

It depends... as others have mentioned, a major factor for the open source world is the quality of what's available. If the free alternatives are as good as or better than commercial software, well, people will go with free. BUT, you guys have a niche that there is no free counterpart for.

You ask how many would pay for ArtRage on Linux... that's a great Q and perhaps deserves a formal poll on your website.

I paid for the windows version specifically to run it on Linux through Wine. I personally dislike Windows, and Linux isn't so much about the "free" price for me, but instead about choice, power, and freedom.

I'd happily pay the $20 again if it got me a native Linux port. And chances are that I'd buy a couple copies for my friends come the holiday season.

In my experience, the Open Source community is motivated to create alternatives when "X" software lacks features they desire or they find prices to be too high. For $20, you're definitely not crossing the high price line and not only would it be appealing to people for that price... it would also not really give anyone reason to come up with a free alternative (because ArtRage is pretty feature-packed and affordable).

Just my .02 on the subject. :)

AndyRage
06-10-2006, 02:45 AM
I think one of the biggest roadblocks to a Linux port for ArtRage is that we dont have a linux programming guru onboard. We'd need someone to get into the bowels of our platform toolkit and add the windowing and graphics output support.

thesleepless
06-13-2006, 11:36 PM
Andy, since you're not using a platform specific toolkit like the Windows or Aqua toolkit, you could use SDL for your graphics output and possibly input (although tablet support may have to be done separately or through GTK+ which provides tablet handling).

the file selection dialog should probably be handled by GTK+'s filechooser as GTK+ is available on almost all linux systems, and much more lightweight than QT/KDE.

if you'd like any help implementing a linux version then i'd offer my services either with coding or advice.

dulciepercy
06-19-2006, 03:46 PM
Hello

I'm new here and slightly annoyed that ArtRage2 works neither on linux/wine or my WinME laptop (yes I should have read the fineprint on that one)

Anyway this thread has wandered. I wondered if anyone has got it working under wine without the recompilation business mentioned at the beginning of the thread. I'm not particularly experienced at such things and don't want to do it if I don't have to.

Ta heaps. Everyone here loves the program btw :D

thesleepless
06-20-2006, 03:42 AM
i'm afraid you'll either have to wait for a new version of wine that fixes the problem or apply the patch and recompile, it's not hard to do and it's a good thing to learn.

run these commands in a console (you should be able to just copy and paste them into your console)
the last step will ask you for your password to install it (assuming you have sudo rights, otherwise login as root and run make install)

wget "http://ibiblio.org/pub/linux/system/emulators/wine/wine-0.9.15.tar.bz2"
tar xjf wine-0.9.15.tar.bz2
cd wine-0.9.15
mv dlls/kernel/kernel32.spec dlls/kernel/kernel32.spec.bak
sed -e 's/^\(@ stdcall FindActCtxSectionString\(A\|W\)\)/#\1/' dlls/kernel/kernel32.spec.bak > dlls/kernel/kernel32.spec
./configure
make depend && make
sudo make install

hope that helps, feel free to ask if you need any more help getting it running

AndyRage
06-20-2006, 04:21 AM
sed -e 's/^\(@ stdcall FindActCtxSectionString\(A\|W\)\)/#\1/'

And they said Linux was obscure....

;)

dulciepercy
06-20-2006, 10:33 AM
Well blow me down. Dead easy. Thanks Sleepless.

I don't seem to have a copy/paste terminal installed, so I edited kernel32.spec.bak and saved it as kernel32.spec, not having a clue why one was bak and the other not, and it works.

Had to load fontforge and some X development libraries.

Couldn't load some pictures I tested with until I realised I'd done them as root soon after installing. Now all working fine, even pressure sensitivity on the wacom.

Thanks again

thesleepless
06-20-2006, 09:56 PM
no problem delciepercy, glad you got it working

here's a little useful hint with linux, if you highlight some text with your mouse, it actually copies it, then when you middle click your mouse it pastes it. even in programmes that don't support copy and paste.

you can give your root images back to your other account by entering (as root)

chown <otherusername>:users <filename.ptg>

pvdvyve
06-28-2006, 10:04 PM
found a way to get it to work, a quick google search returned a mailinglist with a post from azathoth =) the suggestion outlined in the reply proved successful

changing
@ stdcall FindActCtxSectionStringA(long ptr long str ptr)
@ stdcall FindActCtxSectionStringW(long ptr long wstr ptr)

to
#@ stdcall FindActCtxSectionStringA(long ptr long str ptr)
#@ stdcall FindActCtxSectionStringW(long ptr long wstr ptr)

in wine/dlls/kernel/kernel32.spec and recompiling wine worked like a charm and i'm now running 2.11 YAY!

Hi, can you be more specific where to find these files. Iīm runninī GNU/Linux Suse 9.3. Google Earth is fine, Google Picassa is fine and some other programs using Wine, but I donīt get Artrage runnin, I get the same error.
Thanks in advance.

thesleepless
06-29-2006, 02:53 AM
hi pvdvyve, you'll need to get the source code for wine, preferably the latest version.

wget "http://ibiblio.org/pub/linux/system/emulators/wine/wine-0.9.15.tar.bz2"
tar xjf wine-0.9.16.tar.bz2
cd wine-0.9.16
mv dlls/kernel/kernel32.spec dlls/kernel/kernel32.spec.bak
sed -e 's/^\(@ stdcall FindActCtxSectionString\(A\|W\)\)/#\1/' dlls/kernel/kernel32.spec.bak > dlls/kernel/kernel32.spec
./configure
make depend && make
sudo make install

that'll do it all automatically

hope that helps

pvdvyve
06-29-2006, 08:29 PM
Hi,
tried to install somethings:
for /wine-0.9.15 to install I got this message:
checking for flex... no
checking for lex... no
checking for yywrap in -lfl... no
checking for yywrap in -ll... no
checking for :... no
checking for flex... no
checking for lex... no
configure: error: no suitable lex found. Please install the 'flex' package.

Than I got flex and got this message:
yacc -d ./parse.y
make: yacc: Commando niet gevonden
make: *** [parse.c] Fout 127

So I did a search for yacc and came to bison, so I installed bison, this worked just right.

But I still cannot install flex, and so ??

Any help? I will try, and let you know if I succeed.

Greetings.

thesleepless
06-30-2006, 09:11 AM
hmm so you have bison installed (this is a replacement for yacc (Yet Another Compiler Compiler) so you should be able to run yacc now

from what i understand of your post you can't get flex to install, and thus you cannot get wine to install?

"Commando niet gevonden" i'm not sure what that means, what language is it?
i'm guessing it means something like "Command not found"

try running

yacc -V
it should say something like

bison (GNU Bison) 2.0
Written by Robert Corbett and Richard Stallman.

Copyright (C) 2004 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO
warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

and run
flex -V

flex 2.5.31

if it doesn't then flex isn't installed
flex requires bison/yacc to install
so try installing flex now that you have yacc installed

now that you should have both yacc and flex, you should be able to compile wine, give that another go. hope that helps.

pvdvyve
06-30-2006, 07:27 PM
"Commando niet gevonden"
==>itīs Dutch, Iīm from Belgium, Flanders...
i'm guessing it means something like "Command not found",
==>thatsīit...

try running

yacc -V

bison (GNU Bison) 2.0
Written by Robert Corbett and Richard Stallman.

Copyright (C) 2004 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO
warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

That only works as user myself, maybe thatīs problem too?

and run
flex -V

I get this
command not found

==>When trying to install Flex, Iīve got a complaint concerning not finding the command yacc...

It looks Iīm stuck at the moment, but you know, itīs Friday evening, maybe at the start of a new week...

Thanks for the effort. I let you know if or when I succeed.

pvdvyve

pgiddy
08-07-2006, 09:37 PM
I followed these instructions with wine version 0.9.18 with still no luck. I can get as far as the ArtRage splash screen but nothing comes up after that. Does anyone have any other ideas aside from setting up a petition to get the developers to create a native Linux port?

ser
08-08-2006, 11:43 AM
The free edition was twitchy for me; the Wacom driver shows three devices for my laptop: Stylus, Cursor, and Eraser. When I first ran the free edition, it worked fine. When I got home and showed my wife, it started misbehaving -- the paint brush would not draw and the program would hang for a few seconds when I tried to draw. The pencil didn't hang the program, but it wouldn't draw a line, either.

Eventually, after much testing, I discovered that if I disabled the Cursor in xorg.conf, ArtRage2 started working again. I don't yet know if this is a permanent fix; I'll report back if the problem crops up again. I was optimistic enough that I bought the full version.

I'd like to add my voice to the chorus of people logging requests for a native Linux port. I know the user experience would be better; I'm using an HP TC4200, and I discovered ArtRage from a friend who has a TC1100 and runs Windows... ArtRage2 is smoother on his PC.

Anyway, I just wanted to make sure that Andy is aware that he's got yet *another* Linux customer, and that I, too, would really like to see a native port to Linux.

ArtRage2 is a truly spectacular program. Thanks, Andy.

--- SER

ser
08-10-2006, 02:36 AM
I suggested in my previous post that I may have found a solution for my problem about ArtRage not getting the right pen events. I lied.

I've discovered that ArtRage runs fine under Wine until I suspend and resume my laptop. After a resume, ArtRage starts exhibiting the behavior I described previously. This is even if I don't run ArtRage until after I suspend and resume. I suspect that this is due to some mangling of the events that X is sending through via Wine as a result of the suspend, although the pen works fine in all other apps that understand the Wacom drivers (Xournal, Gimp, Inkscape).

If anybody ever discovers a solution for this, please let me know. I'm unused to rebooting my tablet!

--- SER

DaveRage
08-11-2006, 03:22 AM
Regarding the resume problem - a quick idea. I had a browse through the topic and didn't see it, but I may have missed it. Has anyone tried enabling Mouse Mode under Preferences in the Edit menu? This gets tablet points from the tablet in a different way, much like a number of other apps.

thesleepless
08-11-2006, 05:41 AM
i'm not sure about the resuming problem as i'm not using a laptop.

but yes, mouse mode is the way to go, i'm not sure exactly what the difference is, but without mouse mode there seems to be a strange multiplication in the tablet coordinates.

alan53
08-17-2006, 02:10 PM
I'm very new to Linux, but, I too, will instantly purchase a(nother) copy of ArtRage as soon as it is designed for Linux. There are now very few reasons I'm still using windows, ArtRage is one of them.

Alan53

Later. . .

Just in case, I'm running the latest version of Ubuntu on a Dell Laptop 1997 mhz dual core intel centrino, 1 gb ram. I have had to search Synaptic Package Manager for "Bison", "Flex", "Ycc" (didn't find that one) and "make" (geeze, who knew?) I've loaded all that stuff and currently have thousands of lines of code scrolling past. There's a lot of stuff about wall-pipes and other gibberish. Figgered I'd better tell someone in case there's a mushroom cloud about to appear and I get vapourized. If my computer and I survive, I'll get back to you.

thesleepless
08-18-2006, 09:32 AM
hi alan you wont need ycc or even yacc, bison is free replacement for yacc, make should already be on your system as it'd be rather useless without it, but a newer version won't hurt. all those lines scrolling past is it compiling which is a good thing, can take awhile though. and you'll get used to it if you stick with linux. good luck!

alan53
08-18-2006, 03:52 PM
Thanks thesleepless. I didn't blow up my dell notebook, it didn't even get that hot. As far as I know, almost everything is in place, but now wine doesn't like my windows install of AR and is requesting I re-install. Well, naturally, after many crashes and loss of my external hard drive, I can't find my download. I've written to Ambient Design and Kagi (the reseller) to see if there's anything I can do about this, in the meantime, I'll keep searching discs and my other computer for the file.

Alan53

thesleepless
08-18-2006, 05:35 PM
ahh well in the meantime you can test out the free version, if that works nicely you should be fine once you find the full installer.

otherwise you could try copying the registry entries from your windows install to wine.
in windows start -> run type "regedit" and ok, then find HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > AmbientDesign > ArtRage2
then file > export registry file, save it as something, then copy that over to your linux install

run regedit on your linux box and file > import registry file and select the file and you should be right to go

DaveRage
08-21-2006, 11:00 PM
Alan - Let me know if that situation with the lost installer hasn't been resolved yet. I'm up to date on all the support I've seen come through so hopefully you've been helped out there. It not, drop me an email to support@ambientdesign.com and I'll see what I can do about that!

alan53
08-23-2006, 02:32 AM
Wow! Helpful bunch of people here.

I just returned to civilization (ie:e-mail) and founds lots to ponder and software to download. Thanks all.

I have the program installed with Wine under Ubuntu on a Dell Inspiron | 640m notebook, 1 gb of ram, dual centrino processors and lots of other stuff. Thus far, I can open the program, and create layers, toggle tools and change colours. I can't, however, apply any colour to a canvas or layer.

I'm not pointing fingers and/or appointing blame. I'm sure the answer is in this or a linux forum and I will find it.

Thanks again for the assistance and support. I now know I can get rid of windows and live happily.

Alan
www.binaryarts.ca

thesleepless
08-23-2006, 05:19 AM
alan, sometimes in wine the ctrl, alt, and shift keys gets stuck down, try pressing them and letting them go a few times and see if that helps.

are you using a tablet or mouse?

alan53
08-23-2006, 03:10 PM
I'm using a wacom tablet. Nothing wrong with my keys. Just noticed the top menu is missing as well. Perhaps a re-install and will fix these issues.

Alan
www.binaryarts.ca

thesleepless
08-23-2006, 03:31 PM
it may be a problem with the tablet drivers, check you have the latest version of linuxwacom installed, and does it work if you use the mouse?

alan53
08-23-2006, 04:34 PM
The "mouse" (notebook touchpad) sort of works. When I tap (more like a hard poke) it, I get a spot of colour. That's it. LinuxWacom stuff, such as it is, is up to date. Tablet works otherwise.

Alan53
www.binaryarts.ca

gruvsyco
09-15-2006, 05:45 AM
Just wanted to say thank you to the posters in this thread... I made the mod to wine and compiled and sure enough... Artrage loads! (demo version) I need to dig up my license now and try to really install it. This is so great.

and to AndyRage: Not everyone running linux is opposed to paying for software. Your app was a pretty big hit over on CGTalk/CGSociety and I know there are quite a few studios running linux that could probably do well to have a nice app for doing some concept art.

halley
09-18-2006, 04:14 PM
and to AndyRage: Not everyone running linux is opposed to paying for software. Your app was a pretty big hit over on CGTalk/CGSociety and I know there are quite a few studios running linux that could probably do well to have a nice app for doing some concept art.

I know quite a few photographers who buy Bibble Labs' Linux version of their app, even though several free GUI wrappers exist for the dcraw.c routine (which even Photoshop used for a time).

I use free and open software whenever possible, even on OSX. I don't like the endless $15/20 shareware utilities that do a tiny thing but require a credit card. At a very reasonable price like $20 for a very feature-rich application, you are a painless choice and I'm happy to support ya.

fxgogo
10-10-2006, 11:13 PM
I am an animator and motion graphics designer, and I for one would buy an extra copy for linux. This is a lovely piece of software that would thrive in the Linux world. I am of the opinion that the linux world needs commercial software just as much as it needs OSS. Come on guys, make the leap of faith.

thesleepless
10-12-2006, 10:17 AM
using wine on linux i get the error upon installing the update that the file AR2Liscense.txt could not be modified because i need Administrator access, although the file was readable and writable by anyone. I then had to cancel the updater. Is the downloaded file stored anywhere locally that i can use to update it? as now it won't let me download it after three attempts.

"Too many update attempts in one day. Download attempts are limited, three attempts in one day only."

is there some way to update it without using the updater?

any suggestions on what course i should take as i'm itching to try out the new features and fixes?

thanks.

MikeRage
10-12-2006, 10:26 AM
Hi Sleepless,

Have sent you a PM about this. But to provide some more general information - the updater checks for permission to write all files before it actually begins the update process. If it thinks it can't write to any file that it needs to, it won't proceed. It appears that Wine isn't reporting permissions in quite the same way Windows does, but it's hard for me to find out details without a machine running Wine here. I'll do some research and see what I can find. If you can't find a way of making Wine behave the same way as Windows regarding permissions (specifically in a way that keeps the updater happy), there's no current way to tell the updater to skip that check. If you find out any more about this problem, I'd be keen to hear.

Mike.

MikeRage
10-13-2006, 05:35 AM
Hi all,

We've been talking about this, and Matt had this suggestion for anyone having the problem with using the updater on Wine due to permissions refusals.

It might be a good idea to back up your ArtRage install before trying this...

1. Run the updater, download the update as usual. Don't install yet!
2. Go to your ArtRage 2 installation folder, and rename all the core files that make up your ArtRage installation, such as ArtRage.exe, DLLs, the system.grf and gsf in Resources, the manual etc. Don't move your tracing papers etc. Give the moved files temporary names, but don't use extensions like.old or .tmp, choose something different and original.
3. Return to the updater and click Install.

There's no guarantee that this will work, but you can try it; let us know if it works (or doesn't). If not, there's another solution that we could try, but it's less likely to work.

Mike.

MikeRage
10-14-2006, 11:14 PM
As an addendum to the above process, you may find you have difficulty altering msvcr80.dll while the updater is running. If that happens, you can try moving it to your system folder (while AR2 and the updater are both not running). AR2 and the updater should still be able to find it there, and it's not going to obstruct the update process in that folder.

Mike.

thesleepless
10-18-2006, 12:34 PM
hmmm got past that obstacle by removing the files (after backing up my installation). but then updater crashes

Unhandled exception: page fault on write access to 0x43681ee4 in 32-bit code (0x
4019bb8f).
Register dump:
CS:0073 SS:007b DS:007b ES:007b FS:0033 GS:004f
EIP:4019bb8f ESP:4092f93c EBP:4092f984 EFLAGS:00010246( - 00 -RIZP1)
EAX:43681ee0 EBX:401e6f98 ECX:00000000 EDX:00000000
ESI:00000000 EDI:4092f970
Stack dump:
0x4092f93c: 4092fa04 00010020 40ba8f3c 4092fa04
0x4092f94c: 00010020 4092f970 43681ee8 4092f984
0x4092f95c: 003708c8 43681ee0 43030000 4019c383
0x4092f96c: 414f8cd0 4d430001 43681ee0 00000010
0x4092f97c: 00000000 00000000 4d430003 00000000
0x4092f98c: 00000000 00000000 00000000 401e6f98
Backtrace:
=>1 0x4019bb8f HEAP_CreateFreeBlock+0xbf(subheap=0x0, ptr=0x4019ca5e, size=0x227
840) [/src/wine/dlls/ntdll/heap.c:452] in ntdll (0x4019bb8f)
0x4019bb8f HEAP_CreateFreeBlock+0xbf [/src/wine/dlls/ntdll/heap.c:
452] in ntdll: movl $0x45455246,0x4(%eax)
452 pFree->magic = ARENA_FREE_MAGIC;

appears to be a problem with freeing memory, but quite probably a bug in wine rather than the updater.

going to retry with wine-0.9.23 once it compiles, shall see what happens

Mouse
10-28-2006, 03:40 PM
I would be interested in seeing a post on how this can be done with a *buntu installation either in Dapper or Edgy using thier wine install. I use Kubuntu all the time and currently borrow my brother's laptop to run ArtRage. I would be thrilled if I could run it from Kubuntu.

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
Runtime Error!
Program: C:\Program Files\Ambient Design\ArtRage 2\ArtRage.exe
R6034
An application has made an attempt to laod the C runtime library incorrectly. Please contact the applicaiton support team for more information. [OK]

ScislaC
11-03-2006, 01:45 PM
I just tried ArtRage with the newest version of Wine and it works w/o requiring a modified custom compile! Woohoo!

This is on Ubuntu Edgy using the repository for Wine that Automatix adds which is...
deb http://wine.lowvoice.nl/apt dapper main

Unfortunately the updater isn't working though. :/

Mouse
11-04-2006, 04:10 AM
Hi.

I noticed you tried this on Ubuntu Edgy, but have dapper main listed as the repository.

I tried this on Kubuntu Edgy. I do get a splash screen, then it just dies. This is further than I have been able to get it to load before however. Thanks for the tip. I may try some other things as well. I am trying ArtRage2 Free.

I get this running as sudo.

libGL warning: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x4b
fixme:actctx:FindActCtxSectionStringW 00000000 (null) 2 L"msvcr80.dll" 0x337b1c
X Error of failed request: BadDevice, invalid or uninitialized input device
Major opcode of failed request: 145 (XInputExtension)
Minor opcode of failed request: 3 (X_OpenDevice)
Serial number of failed request: 154
Current serial number in output stream: 154

It appears to be looking for the serial #. Do I dare try my purchased version?

celer
11-25-2006, 04:45 AM
Hi,

I am an avid linux user, and pretty much only use linux, I am running linux on a tc4400, and would gladly shell out more then 50$ for native version of artrage on linux.

I will try to get artrage to work with linux under wine, but would greatly perfer a native version. Right now I use the gimp for sketching and artwork under linux, but it leaves me wanting more.

(If you guys don't have the dev staff for a linux port and decide not to do it, would it be an option to open source the gui library or allow some guys to sign an NDA to port the library?)

Thanks,

Dave

mmbenya
12-09-2006, 11:46 AM
Greetings everybody,

I just wanted to say I am currently using ArtRage under Windows and I would definitely be interested in purchasing a Linux build if there was one. I assume there are more Linux users than you might think that would be willing to pay for a port.

Matt :)

drakeblake
12-13-2006, 02:33 PM
Even being a mac user, and having bought yet ArtRage for mac, I would be another one interested to buy an AR linux version... but native, not under wine... so guys i think it would be nice you start to port the mac version under linux. It shouldn't be that hard, because OSX works with a Unix core.
For the ones who likes (as me) to use wacom tablets under linux, that link should be usefull:
http://linuxwacom.sourceforge.net/
However, some minor adjustments will have to be done in the XFree86 configuration file.
I found out how the better supported free linux OS about drivers and upgrades is Ubuntu (i like better the Kubuntu version).
Have fun... 8)

AndyRage
12-13-2006, 08:45 PM
Ah, it's not the 'core' that's the problem. ArtRage is based on our own cross-platform toolkit, so one code-base works on Windows and MacOSX.
The problem is that there are so many 'platform specific' things that need to be done - print services, network services, window managers, graphics ops, application event managers, input devices, File IO, and the like.

And Apple have been progressively forcing developers on OSX who want to do anything useful to use ObjectiveC and their own class libraries.

For the most part, ArtRage itself is totally transportable C++ code. But it's the many dozens of fiddly little platform-specific things that would take the time.

lunadog
12-19-2006, 12:25 PM
My first post.. Created an account specifically for this reason!

Can I add my vote for a native Linux version. I would definately pay for it... As someone else has already said, I would be happy to pay a premium for it ($50 or possibly even more). Linux users aren't mostly freeloaders.. Most just want good quality software and are more than happy to pay for it when there is no open and free alternative.

I understand there can be problems with platform specific code, but there are a lot of very experienced coders out there for Linux who I am sure would jump at the opportunity to work for you. Also it would create a real buzz in the Linux community I think..

All the best,

James

Mouse
12-24-2006, 03:35 AM
All I want for Christmas is ArtRage 2 on my *buntu. :-)

antimoni
12-29-2006, 01:58 PM
I just tried ArtRage with the newest version of Wine and it works w/o requiring a modified custom compile! Woohoo!

This is on Ubuntu Edgy using the repository for Wine that Automatix adds which is...

I have same problem as Mouse: After splash screen it dies. Only error message I get is:

I am using Ubuntu Edgy with Automatix installed Wine (same repo as above).

P.S. I'am definitevily one of those would be byers of native linux ArtRage.

lunadog
12-31-2006, 09:12 PM

I have same problem as Mouse: After splash screen it dies. Only error message I get is:

If you are using a very recent version of Wine, it should work fine..

One reason it may not start up if you are using Ubuntu is if you do not have a wacom tablet plugged in....

Alternatively, comment out the wacom lines in /etc/X11/xorg.conf:

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "stylus"
Driver "wacom"
Option "Type" "stylus"
Option "USB" "on"
Option "Threshold" "10"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/wacom"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "eraser"
Driver "wacom"
Option "Type" "eraser"
Option "USB" "on"
Option "Threshold" "10"
EndSection

(plus possibly some others.. I am on Debian and so have no easy way of checking what the Ubuntu xorg.conf file looks like).

and restart X to try artrage using mouse.

James

lunadog
12-31-2006, 10:01 PM
By the way, It works fine with wine 0.9.25 and 0.9.27 from Debian..

I just tried compiling my own version of wine 0.9.28, and AR fails to start... Not sure what the problem is..

Roll on a native Linux version (Please!!). In the meantime I have bought a Windows version to run under Wine... with more money to come if the Linux version ever sees the light of day!

James

Mouse
01-01-2007, 12:41 AM

If you are using a very recent version of Wine, it should work fine..

One reason it may not start up if you are using Ubuntu is if you do not have a wacom tablet plugged in....

Alternatively, comment out the wacom lines in /etc/X11/xorg.conf:

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "stylus"
Driver "wacom"
Option "Type" "stylus"
Option "USB" "on"
Option "Threshold" "10"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "eraser"
Driver "wacom"
Option "Type" "eraser"
Option "USB" "on"
Option "Threshold" "10"
EndSection

(plus possibly some others.. I am on Debian and so have no easy way of checking what the Ubuntu xorg.conf file looks like).

and restart X to try artrage using mouse.

James

Ug. All I got was a login prompt. I went back in, and changed /dev/wacom to /dev/input/mice and rebooted and was able to get back to my GUI. However, upon starting wine, i get the error as follows;

wine ArtRageFree.exe
ALSA lib seq_hw.c:457:(snd_seq_hw_open) open /dev/snd/seq failed: No such file or directory
fixme:actctx:FindActCtxSectionStringW 00000000 (null) 2 L"msvcr80.dll" 0x347b1c
fixme:wintab32:X11DRV_WTInfoA Return proper size
Quit

I am not sure that changing /dev/wacom to /dev/input/mice was such a good idea however, as i am getting random clicks from the mouse input. Could it be possible the wacom driver is picking up the changes that happen when the mouse is moved in my optical mouse and interperting them as clicks ?

Looking at the output, I wonder if I don't have a graphic driver problem. We continue to work through this.

Mouse
01-01-2007, 12:58 AM
My graphic driver is fixed, working on the sound driver. I however still get the same two lines which i assume is a part of msvcr80.dll.

fixme:wintab32:X11DRV_WTInfoA Return proper size

lunadog
01-02-2007, 01:07 AM
Yep I got that error with 0.9.28.. seems to lock up at that point.

Try 0.9.27.. should work fine (fingers crossed).. although you will either have to have a tablet plugged in or comment out the sections referring to wacom in your xorg.conf..

And no, I would not change wacom to mouse.. When I said comment out those lines, I meant add a # to the beginning of all those lines in xorg.conf.... If done correctly, it will not prevent X from starting. If you like you could send me your xorg.conf (jamesmstone{{at}}gmail{{dot}}com) and I will be able to tell you exactly which lines to comment out!!

Best wishes,

James

Mouse
01-02-2007, 03:35 PM
Actually, # (comment out) does cause X to fail to start for me. I am not sure why yet. I can fix it by replacing /dev/wacom with /dev/input/mice, however this causes mouse problems.

Oddly nuff, when I attempted to use apt-get to remove the X.org Wacom drivers, it also removes X.org as well which creates a real problem :-(.

Still researching.

Section "InputDevice"
Driver "wacom"
Identifier "stylus"
Option "Device" "/dev/wacom" # Change to
# /dev/input/event
# for USB
Option "Type" "stylus"
Option "ForceDevice" "ISDV4" # Tablet PC ONLY
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Driver "wacom"
Identifier "eraser"
# /dev/input/event
# for USB
Option "Type" "eraser"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Driver "wacom"
Identifier "cursor"
# /dev/input/event
# for USB
Option "Type" "cursor"
EndSection

lunadog
01-02-2007, 03:54 PM
You may also need to comment out the eraser, cursor and stylus lines in ServerLayout as well as the InputDevice sections:

Section "ServerLayout"

# The Identifier line must be present
# Each Screen line specifies a Screen section name, and optionally
# the relative position of other screens. The four names after
# primary screen name are the screens to the top, bottom, left and right
# of the primary screen. In this example, screen 2 is located to the
# right of screen 1.
# Each InputDevice line specifies an InputDevice section name and
# optionally some options to specify the way the device is to be
# used. Those options include "CorePointer", "CoreKeyboard" and
# "SendCoreEvents".
Identifier "Simple Layout"
Screen "Screen 1" 0 0
InputDevice "Mouse1" "CorePointer"
InputDevice "Keyboard1" "CoreKeyboard"
# InputDevice "stylus" "SendCoreEvents"
# InputDevice "eraser" "SendCoreEvents"
# InputDevice "cursor" "SendCoreEvents"
EndSection

But in any case, you need to downgrade Wine to 0.9.27!

James

lunadog
01-02-2007, 04:53 PM
Another note (if anyone else is still reading this) I cannot get the glitter tool or the spray brush to work correctly under Wine with the graphics tablet.. Both seem to work fine with the mouse though.

Anyone else noticing this problem? Any ideas for a fix?

James

Mouse
01-02-2007, 05:43 PM
Awesome

Artrage2 Free works on Kubuntu 6.10 (Edgy) now. Looks like the xorg.conf file after commenting out the wacom area and the wacom area in the server portion allows it to work.

I still get the error:

~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Ambient Design/ArtRage 2 Free$ wine ArtRageFree.exe

but as long as it works, i am ok with that. Now to move my art from my brothers windows xp laptop.

Mouse
01-03-2007, 03:21 AM
When I use the oil brush, and paint until it quits, i get the results left to right. Notice how the second painting has no color. If i go over this no color area, the brush picks up paint until it is fully loaded and then go thin. Then it has no color again.

lunadog
01-03-2007, 10:13 AM
I think this is normal behaviour... Only occurs on my system if auto clean is off and the brush is heavily loaded.. and only then sometimes.. Click on auto clean to get rid of this behaviour (may be a bug with the program as a whole.. don't have a win system to check it with).

And by the way, the error messages you are reporting are harmless AFAIK (I get them too).

James

ser
01-04-2007, 04:54 AM
Regarding the resume problem - a quick idea. I had a browse through the topic and didn't see it, but I may have missed it. Has anyone tried enabling Mouse Mode under Preferences in the Edit menu? This gets tablet points from the tablet in a different way, much like a number of other apps.

Mouse mode mostly fixes my issue with suspend/resume, with a curious side effect -- ArtRage thinks my pen is reversed. It thinks the eraser end is the stylus end, and vice versa. But it does this only when drawing. When I select items from the palettes, I still have to use the stylus end.

Very strange.

Incidentally, I used the upgrader from Wine with no problems, and no special intermediate steps (permissions, renaming, etc).

--- SER

bodinux
01-21-2007, 09:59 PM
Hi all

I got my wacom tablet to work correctly under linux (ubuntu edgy).
I downloaded the latest version of wine from winhq :http://www.winehq.com/site/download-deb

I installed the full version from windows on windows and ran the updater from there.

On my linux I did

wine AR2WinFullInstall_fr.exe

Then I copied the files from my windows ArtRage. Then used Meld to see the differences between the two folders. Then updated the ubuntu folder (~/.wine/drive_c/ArtRage2) with the files that were different on the windows folder.

Then I ran the thing :

cd ~/.wine/drive_c/ArtRage 2 //depends on your local install

wine ArtRage.exe

Looks very good to me !

DaveRage
01-22-2007, 12:49 AM
Just a quick note. I thought I'd posted this here before but it appears not! If you are having any trouble using the updater under Linux, you can bypass the update process and get the latest installer for ArtRage by going here www.ambientdesign.com/artrageinstaller.html and entering your details. This will automatically send you an email with a download link for the latest version. Hope that's some help for people having problems updating under Linux.

DaveRage
01-22-2007, 12:51 AM
Mouse, regarding the behaviour of the paint running out over a series of strokes until you clean the brush ( or unless you have auto clean on ), that's a bug we've identified and will be looking to fix for an update.

This will tend to happen in the following situation: Paint multiple strokes with the paint brush until the paint runs out. Over multiple strokes you will notice that the paint appears to become "thinnned".

Mouse
01-31-2007, 04:30 PM
We are looking for a snapshot of a painting done on a linux system. Something astonishing, bravo, wow factor to use for WineHQ. Are there any talanted artists with linux out there?

I only have a mouse. :-), and mice don't make pretty pictures.

ArtRage window open, with Gnome or KDE and some other windows open in the background. Picture in Artrage.

sicofante
02-04-2007, 09:31 PM
Regarding the issue of Linux users paying for software or not, here's an interesing thread from Ubuntu's forums:

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=352658

The problem seems to be with paying huge money for apps, but that's not the case with ArtRage. Guys like Pavel Kanzelsberger seem to be doing fine selling it's image editor ( http://www.kanzelsberger.com/pixel/?page_id=12 ) to the three platforms. From this review: http://applications.linux.com/article.pl?sid=05/12/06/1828230&tid=39 it seems that he sells more Linux licenses than Mac OS X...

You guys should try and make Goblin aware of GTK+ or Qt and make your software natively Linux compatible. You even have offers to help from people right in these very thread.

ser
02-09-2007, 04:31 AM
Mouse mode mostly fixes my issue with suspend/resume, with a curious side effect -- ArtRage thinks my pen is reversed. It thinks the eraser end is the stylus end, and vice versa. But it does this only when drawing. When I select items from the palettes, I still have to use the stylus end.
I found my own solution.

It turns out that Wine is sensitive to the order of the pen devices. Therefore, in the xorg.conf, you have to make sure that the eraser is first, and the stylus is second -- otherwise, you get the reversed pen syndrome.

So: mouse mode, as Dave suggests, and in xorg.conf:

InputDevice "eraser" "SendCoreEvents"
InputDevice "stylus" "SendCoreEvents"

and everything seems fine now, even after a resume!

--- SER

fruitbatinshades
02-12-2007, 08:12 PM
I still only use windows for 3 things.

1. cannot get my tv-out to work :(
2. I work in visual studio for a living (but learning mono)
3. I really need a good media package like art rage for linux :)

I'd certainly pay again and don't see an issue with selling linux software. I don't believe there is actually a problem, there are loads of commercial linux utils! I can't get art rage to work properly under wine but am continuing to fiddle :)

BTW: Art rage seems more sensitive to pen pressure than painter which is a major bonus for me :)

Mouse
02-14-2007, 12:36 PM
fruitbatinshades,

Post your the problems you are having here. We may be able to help.

stinky
02-15-2007, 11:16 AM
First post!
Hello, I downloaded the free version of Artrage to see if I could use it in linux. I have a graphire3, and I've been trying to get pressure sensitivity under wine, but I still don't have it. Could anyone help?

The following are the relevant sections of my xorg.conf, if that's any help:

Section "ServerLayout"
InputDevice "stylus" "SendCoreEvents"
InputDevice "eraser" "SendCoreEvents"
InputDevice "cursor" "SendCoreEvents"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Driver "wacom"
Identifier "cursor"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/event1"
Option "SendCoreEvents" "true"
Option "Type" "cursor"
Option "USB" "on"
Option "Mode" "Absolute"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Driver "wacom"
Identifier "stylus"
Option "Button3" "3"
Option "Button2" "1"
Option "Type" "stylus"
Option "USB" "on"
Option "Mode" "Absolute"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Driver "wacom"
Identifier "eraser"
Option "Type" "eraser"
Option "USB" "on"
Option "Mode" "Absolute"
EndSection

By the way, I'm using kernel 2.6.19 -- don't know if that's relevant. What kernel are you guys using?

Kanted
02-17-2007, 02:42 PM
Just down the latest version of Wine in Ubuntu Edgy and tried install of ArtRage free version. It seems to work as expected without any tweaking (already use paid version in windows).
Now has anybody tried a paid version in Linux?

lunadog
03-02-2007, 09:55 PM
Sorry to reply to a very old thread...

Yes I have the full version under Linux,

And some art done under Linux:

http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3918

Not amazing I know, but that is just the limits of the artist!

BookeldOr
03-29-2007, 06:00 PM
It works out of the box on ubuntu feisty fawn!
I'm waiting for my Graphire 4 to test pressure but appart that it seems fully functional and runs fast.
http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/935/artrage22onubuntuio9.th.png (http://img443.imageshack.us/my.php?image=artrage22onubuntuio9.png)
However there are some minor bugs :
- fullscreen mode does not work properly since it doesn't hide desktop panels (that should be correcter I think, it should be a good idea to ask wine guys)
- update manager does not work
- when I minimize and restore, toolbars are moved !

I just regret that it is not a free software (I mean free as in free speech). Moreover, I would have donated at least the price I paid if it has been a free software.

stinky
03-29-2007, 10:24 PM
It hides desktop panels on my box (I use kde).

About being free software: Come on, please stop the free-software-evangelism. The devs have a niche market here, and it's very reasonable that they should expect to be compensated for their beautiful work. Besides, you said yourself that you would have donated more than the price you paid, so you seem to want it to be free for the sake of being free (which is sort of naive idealism to me).

Edit: Sorry, I do realize that you seem to be talking about the program being open sourced ("free speech"). However, my first argument holds.

BookeldOr
03-29-2007, 11:18 PM
It hides desktop panels on my box (I use kde).

About being free software: Come on, please stop the free-software-evangelism. The devs have a niche market here, and it's very reasonable that they should expect to be compensated for their beautiful work.

I use beryl, and I have tested with gnome default window manager and it works, so it seems to be a beryl bug...

I bought it so I'm not a real evangelist, I just said I prefer free software because artrage would have been ported for a long time if it was free.
And I'm quite convinced that many people would donate for a so good little piece of software.
But that's not the point of this topic I think, and the price seems really appropriate in my opinion.

Oh and sorry for my English, I'm not a native and it's late here.

AndyRage
03-30-2007, 03:25 AM
ArtRage 1.x was free, and included a means of making donations via PayPal. We made very little from that - certainly nowhere near enough to focus full-time on the continuing development of ArtRage.
ArtRage 2 pays for its continuing development so we're able to focus fulltime on it. As a result it is rapidly improving and becoming a better tool.

BookeldOr
03-30-2007, 11:34 AM
Hmm I meant free as in free speech (open source)...
I don't know how much the soft depends on the toolkit, but one option is to open source the platform dependent part of the program (often the toolkit).
That's what Trolltech does with Qt, and they have become a prosperous company, since they make money when selling licenses for commercial products, and the toolkit itself is supported, tested and even enhanced by the open source community.
But don't misread me, I'm not trying to convince you, I just wanted to discuss that a bit since it is a "Linux" thread :-)

Oh, and it may be a good idea to say in the computer requirements page that it works on linux + wine, (even if it has minor bugs and is not officially supported), don't you think?

DeBadger
03-31-2007, 09:19 PM
Hey there, folks! First post here.

Just tossing my vote in for an eventual Linux version. But, since it works, (for the most part), in Wine and Crossover, I went and bought the Windows version anyway. Just want to mention that more "regular folks" are switching over to Linux, thus, you'll likely be hearing less and less of the "open source is better" whine and complaints as most of us don't get involved with the politics behind the Linux movement. We also don't believe that paying for a product will destroy a piece of our soul. ; )

Awesome piece of software, btw, and just what I was pining for in Linux. I can't believe believe the price, though. Alias charges about 200 bux U.S. for sketchbook Pro, and I've found it sorta wonky to use at the best of times, (and doesn't even want to install through wine or crossover).

Anyway, keep up the great work, and I hope future versions will continue to work with wine.

BookeldOr
04-03-2007, 07:44 PM
Just to say that the Wacom Graphire 4 works via wine!
However I have a question (maybe a suggestion) : I've got an eraser end on my stylus, but I would like to use it as another tool, is it possble (like in gimp for example (and probably photoshop)) ?
Here is my first (uggly I admit :D) sketch :]

BookeldOr
04-09-2007, 08:38 PM
I've got a little suggestion : is it possible to add a command line option to ArtRage to export a painting to a png file? with that, I could make a thumbnailer for linux file browsers...

AndyRage
04-09-2007, 09:01 PM
I've got a little suggestion : is it possible to add a command line option to ArtRage to export a painting to a png file? with that, I could make a thumbnailer for linux file browsers...

If you like I could send you the source code for the thumbnail viewer Windows Shell extension that uses the ArtRage *.ptg preview.
It's easy enough to grab the preview chunk from a ptg file.

BookeldOr
04-09-2007, 09:14 PM

If you like I could send you the source code for the thumbnail viewer Windows Shell extension that uses the ArtRage *.ptg preview.
It's easy enough to grab the preview chunk from a ptg file.

That's a very good idea, many thanks :)

AndyRage
04-09-2007, 11:19 PM
I've sent a small *.cpp file to your GMail account.

nakedfanatic
04-10-2007, 03:47 AM
Another vote for Linux Artrage, or OpenTuxpainter as it shall henceforth be known!

On a somewhat related subject, does anyone know how to configure a wacom tablet to work properly across a fglrx dual head setup? do I need to sudo the xorg.conf or is my aticonfig the problem? or something else?

Edgy Eft 6.11
Wacom Graphire 4
ATI Radeon 9600pro

(or do I just wait 10 days for Fiesty Fawn and hope it's all fixed by then)

Any help would be appreciated. I have been using Linux for 3 days now and I'm a definite convert! I can feel my brain growing lol

Mouse
04-12-2007, 03:48 AM
I think ArtRage is fine as it is. Fine as "closed source". I use open and closed source programs, and I have found some excellent closed source programs that have "value" in respect to cost. ArtRage accomplishes this.

There are lot's of good programs for linux, but nowhere near the amount for windows. To drive software you need paid developers (*buntu, KDE, etc.) ArtRage has found a way to pay for developers and operating overhead, while keeping cost for the consumer at an affordable cost.

I consider it somewhat of an insult to the ArtRage team when linux users continually requests "free" code, etc.

Last I checked, gas was 2.90/gallon USD. I filled my tank this afternoon, and it cost me 30.00. Much more than the 20.00 ArtRage charges, and my gas purchase "value" will be burned up in a couple of days.

I am happy that ArtRage team has allowed linux users to post a thread and continue to explore getting a great program to work in linux.

Linux users may feel free to reply to me at dbeams _at_ hotmail _dot_ com.

nakedfanatic
04-13-2007, 01:04 AM
I think that people are politely registering an interest in a linux port of Artrage, not demanding that Artrage goes open source! We all know that Artrage is awesome value for money.

DeBadger
04-13-2007, 04:31 PM
I think that people are politely registering an interest in a linux port of Artrage, not demanding that Artrage goes open source! We all know that Artrage is awesome value for money.

This is true. I've been through this thread a couple of times now, and *most* of the people, including myself, have been asking for a Linux *port*. I think only a couple have mentioned opening up the source code.

Linux does not exclusively equal open source.

Mouse
04-16-2007, 04:40 PM
Has anyone been able to get ArtRage to run under Kubuntu Feisty Fawn?/

BookeldOr
04-16-2007, 05:53 PM
i'm under ubuntu FF, not kubuntu, but wine is the same for both flavors, and it worked out of the box.

BookeldOr
04-19-2007, 12:59 PM
I've made a thumbnailer for gnome, I'll release it when it's fully tested and packaged.
Andy, did you have my last mail about it? I didn't receive any answer...

AndyRage
04-19-2007, 08:40 PM
Your thumbnails look fantastic.
Sorry I didn't reply to your previous EMail. We've been very busy here working on ArtRage 2.5 so I didn't get time to put together ArtRage 1 files.

I'm not even sure ArtRage 1 works under Linux either. If you like I can email you the ArtRage 1 installer and you can have a play with it.

BookeldOr
04-20-2007, 12:28 AM
Yes please :), since you're busy, don't bother about files, I'll make them myself if I have ArtRage 1.

barbara
05-15-2007, 09:50 PM
Hallo ArtRage-Team,
I am next person asking for a Linux *port* (Linux-version) of your
software.
I hope, it is possible (as it was for developers from BibbleLabs or
NoiseNinja authors) :)

efflux
05-30-2007, 10:05 AM
Sadly I have not got pressure working under Wine with a Wacom Graphire. I get the error message mentioned previously in this thread but I also get this one:

err:wintab32:X11DRV_LoadTabletInfo Unable to initialized the XInput library.

I have a wintab32.dll in system32. There is obviously a communication problem with X.

This is a real shame because performance is blistering even compared to my Mac because that's twin core and ArtRage only uses one of them but my PC's single core is faster. It just performs better anyway, even better than on a Windows machine with the same specs. Any chance of Multi core support in the future by the way?

I have a Mac licence but I would buy a Windows licence as well if ArtRage worked fully under Wine. Even if it broke again in the future.

By the way my Wacom has all features working perfectly in Linux and I'm on Ubuntu 7.04.

efflux
05-30-2007, 01:38 PM
The wintab32.dll was an actual windows .dll from Wacom so this wasn't going to work. However there is no Wine wintab32.dll.

I think ArtRage is a prime app for Linux because it simply would have no competition at all in every respect.

Improv
05-30-2007, 03:35 PM
Sadly I have not got pressure working under Wine with a Wacom Graphire.

By the way my Wacom has all features working perfectly in Linux and I'm on Ubuntu 7.04.

I have Ubuntu 7.04 as well and never could get my Graphire 4 pressure settings working. As soon as I bought my Intuos 3, pressure settings worked with wine/artrage2 and natively with G.I.M.P and Inkscape. Go figure! <shrug!>

efflux
05-31-2007, 06:45 AM
Hi thanks for the reply. There are so few people actually saying they have pressure sensitivity working under Wine but at least we know it can actually work.

I've got a old Graphire 1 which does the job I need it to do for the moment which is really just getting used to using a tablet but maybe I should get another tablet. Almost certainly I will at some stage. Intuos would be my choice but I don't want to shell out the cash just yet, maybe in a few months. I can use ArtRage on my Mac.

What I would like to know is how some of these tablets do actually work. Do they need this wintab32.dll which is not present in my Wine and if so, do they all still have a problem getting the XInput info anyway. I'm guessing that if they need this wintab32.dll then they don't work. I've got the latest Wine from WineHQ, not the one from the Ubuntu repository. I've got my tablet working fine with Gimp and Inkscape so there is no problem at the Linux end.

Maybe you could have a look in your Wine Windows system32 folder and see if there is a file called wintab32.dll. Have you just installed the Wine from the Ubuntu repository?

By the way the more I'm using this ArtRage the more I'm loving it. It's better than Painter simply from a usability point of view. The newer features advance it's power hugely. It looks like this will grow into one awesome app. The UI is a masterstroke. It doesn't get in your way.

Improv
05-31-2007, 06:02 PM
Maybe you could have a look in your Wine Windows system32 folder and see if there is a file called wintab32.dll. Have you just installed the Wine from the Ubuntu repository?

I'll have a look and get back to you. I installed Wine a few weeks ago-about a month ago.

Cheers

Update edit 2:45pm PST:

-I looked in that folder and there is no wintab32.dll

-I am using Wine 0.9.33-0ubuntu1

-Uninstalled both ArtRage2 and wine. Reinstalled both,
pressure sensitivity works equall well in the linux native version of GIMP as it also does in ArtRage2.

-Do you have the file 'wacom-tools' installed? Maybe that's the key to your problems?

-I'm using a Wacom Intuos 4x6

Sorry, I can't think of anything else right that might help. If I do, I'll post.

Good Luck

sciboy
06-10-2007, 04:47 PM
No luck with pressure sensitivity either, also want to say that I would love to purchase a copy if you ever do port it.

efflux
06-12-2007, 11:56 PM
Thanks Improv for checking on that.

I have wacom-tools installed.

I'm going to just leave it and test again when I get a new Tablet.

calikoala
07-13-2007, 01:04 AM
I would be very interested in a port of this software to the linux platforms. I have a Nokia 770 tablet with 800x480 resolution and would like to have a graphics program such as this that I could draw on when I go to movies early.

meho_r
08-01-2007, 11:32 AM
Anyone managed to run AR2.5 on Linux?

thesleepless
08-12-2007, 01:35 PM
AR2.5 won't install under wine 0.9.43 (latest to date), but if you copy it across from a windows install it'll work, but using the ruler causes a crash (SEGFAULT), the other stencils work however

meho_r
08-12-2007, 01:43 PM
Really? I've managed to install it (AR 2.5.15) on wine 0.9.43. (Ubuntu 7.04) What kind of problem appears when you try to install?

thesleepless
08-12-2007, 11:29 PM
when running

msiexec /i artrage2.5_winfull.msi
err:msi:copy_package_to_temp failed to copy package L"/home/ftsf/downloads/artrage2.5_winfull.msi"
fixme:advapi:LookupAccountNameW (null) L"ftsf" (nil) 0x33f7fc (nil) 0x33f800 0x33f7f4 - stub
fixme:advapi:LookupAccountNameW (null) L"ftsf" 0x181e60 0x33f7fc 0x18fcc8 0x33f800 0x33f7f4 - stub
err:msi:ITERATE_Actions Execution halted, action L"AI_RESTORE_LOCATION" returned 1627

"the artrage 2 setup has ended prematurely because of an error."

using the native msi.dll i get even more errors.

what dll overrides are you using?
does the ruler cause a crash for you also?

meho_r
08-13-2007, 08:52 AM
Well, I'm out of ideas :( Maybe to report a bug to the Wine HQ.

When start installation, I get this output from console:

Xlib: extension "XFree86-DRI" missing on display ":1.0".
Xlib: extension "XFree86-DRI" missing on display ":1.0".
fixme:advapi:LookupAccountNameW (null) L"root" (nil) 0x33f7fc (nil) 0x33f800 0x33f7f4 - stub
fixme:advapi:LookupAccountNameW (null) L"root" 0x19ea98 0x33f7fc 0x1b76c0 0x33f800 0x33f7f4 - stub
fixme:msi:msi_unimplemented_action_stub MigrateFeatureStates -> 2 ignored L"Upgrade" table values
err:msi:ITERATE_Actions Execution halted, action L"MaintenanceWelcomeDlg" returned 1602

As you can see, it is similar to yours, with two exceptions:

1. There's no: err:msi:copy_package_to_temp failed to copy package L"/home/ftsf/downloads/artrage2.5_winfull.msi" (maybe here lies the problem)

2. The last line: err:msi:ITERATE_Actions Execution halted, action L"MaintenanceWelcomeDlg" returned 1602 appears only when I close the AR's installation window.

About dll overrides, I didn't mess with any, using only stuff provided by wine itself (except gdiplus.dll, of course)

And yes, using the ruler does crash AR :(

prezzey
09-25-2007, 01:05 AM
Wooohooohoooo!!! (http://www.twango.com/media/prezzey.sketches/prezzey.10209) It works!! (OK, not the best drawing ever, I admit... but it was really just a quickie :wink:)

I'm really happy because I don't have ANY other OS on my tablet PC due to a series of strange circumstances, and I love ArtRage... I couldn't set up the previous version on my desktop PC's Linux partition properly, Wine just wouldn't recognize pressure values. And it's no fun without pressure sensitivity :( But the new version works on my tablet PC, pressure and all.

I'm running into problems with the screen resize though... a part of the tools at the bottom get chopped off no matter how I set the screen. Hrr. It's not overly annoying but it keeps me from being able to make a nice screenshot for the Wine AppDB :wink:

And I also need to find out how to remap my tablet PC keys so that up and down (currently PgUp and PgDn) become Ctrl+Z and Ctrl+Y... any ideas? I'd prefer a Wine-specific solution, a systemwide remapping should be a last resort... but I haven't found anything on Wine keymappings yet :(

Castle
10-04-2007, 01:14 AM
I got this working but I have a couple of questions if someone may answer. I got it running in wine and tablet works fine and all but these are the issues.

The CPU usage goes to 100% whenever there is activity. Is this just normal behavior for Artrage or is it because it's through wine? The CPU is a regular P4 hyperthreaded. When I say 100% I mean it, a composite of both "processors" that show up in hyperthreaded mode for this CPU. It gets very hot because of this. But if it's native behavior I guess that's fine.

The other thing is that the keyboard shortcuts don't work at all.

Any comments?

Mouse
10-08-2007, 02:37 AM
I have attempted to run the 2.5 free installer under kubuntu gutsy with wine. I am getting this error. Any ideas?

sudo wine artrage2.5starteredition_win.msi
wine: could not load L"Z:\\home\\drbeams\\Desktop\\artrage2.5starterediti on_win.msi": Bad EXE format for

delog
10-09-2007, 03:07 PM
Hi, to install .msi installers by wine, you should enter this code in command-line:
wine msiexec /i xyz.msi

then u should copy the gdiplus.dll to windows/system32 folder that is in .wine folder. that is it, then no problem

Mouse
10-10-2007, 01:28 AM
DeLog,

That command worked great!! Thanks.

---- Update ----

Well, almost.

00000008 (D) C:\Program Files\Ambient Design\ArtRage 2 Starter Edition\ArtRage 2 Starter Edition.exe
0000000c 0
0000000b 15
0000000a 15
00000009 0 <==
wine: Call from 0x7b843f40 to unimplemented function faultrep.dll.ReportFaultDWM, aborting
wine: Call from 0x7b843f40 to unimplemented function faultrep.dll.ReportFaultFromQueue, aborting
fixme:winmm:MMDRV_Exit Closing while ll-driver open

lunadog
10-12-2007, 12:37 AM
You need to install gdiplus.. See:

http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=59439#59439

Good luck!

By the way, has anyone got the spraypaint and glitter tools working with a tablet under linux?

Mouse
10-16-2007, 06:56 PM
ArtRage Free installed great under Wine Doors. I always like to test before using my pay copy. Thx for the tips.

SCIBOTIC
12-05-2007, 05:21 PM
I own the full version and I remembered why I usually don't risk buying software for wine. It refused to save my painting, and I really wasn't happy about that.
Please do a linux port, I would be happy to pay for a second license, I just can't use a program day to day when the problems that turn up aren't due to the program itself and can't be fixed or relied upon.

rax_m
01-05-2008, 02:56 PM
Hi Scibotic,

I noticed that at first I couldn't save any files to my home directory or the wine directories. However, I CAN save files to my fat32 partition.

HTH
Rax

Hellmark
01-25-2008, 03:16 AM
I got it to install with no problem, tossed the GDI Plus in, and that got it working, but as soon as it loads, I see a splitsecond of the form to fill in my registration info, when it crashes.

hellmark@primeshit:~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Ambient Design/ArtRage 2$ wine ArtRage.exe
Invoking /usr/lib/wine/wine.bin ArtRage.exe ...
ALSA lib seq_hw.c:457:(snd_seq_hw_open) open /dev/snd/seq failed: No such file or directory
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x34f51c,0x00000000), stub!
X Error of failed request: BadAtom (invalid Atom parameter)
Major opcode of failed request: 17 (X_GetAtomName)
Atom id in failed request: 0x0
Serial number of failed request: 101
Current serial number in output stream: 101
Wine failed with return code 1

A second machine is puking pretty much the same way

Invoking /usr/lib/wine/wine.bin /home/hellmark/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Ambient Design/ArtRage 2/ArtRage.exe ...
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x33f51c,0x00000000), stub!
X Error of failed request: BadAtom (invalid Atom parameter)
Major opcode of failed request: 17 (X_GetAtomName)
Atom id in failed request: 0x0
Serial number of failed request: 103
Current serial number in output stream: 103
Wine failed with return code 1

Hellmark
02-19-2008, 03:02 PM
That bug was apparently fixed in 0.9.54 (which was just added to the Debian unstable pool, despite 0.9.55 being released 8 days earlier)

michaelw
02-28-2008, 11:45 AM
I own the full version and I remembered why I usually don't risk buying software for wine. It refused to save my painting, and I really wasn't happy about that.
Please do a linux port, I would be happy to pay for a second license, I just can't use a program day to day when the problems that turn up aren't due to the program itself and can't be fixed or relied upon.

I have the same problem (with the full version)... If I run wine with sudo I can save. I don't really want to do that though as I understand it's a big security issue!

It does make me think that it's something permissions related though, so maybe some one more knowledgeable about linux can shed some light on exactlt what needs to be modified to allow Artrage to save!

EDit: It's interesting that it will save to fat32 drives!

Outcast
03-05-2008, 03:57 AM
I'd like to add my voice to the "Portage of Artrage2" to linux (Ubuntu) please.

I'd gladly pay Ģ50 for a 3 machine license ( 3 daughters) for Ubuntu.

snoer
04-04-2008, 04:04 PM
Maybe this will help someone who cant get the wacom tablett to work with pressure sensitivity.

It hasn't worked for me for, too and i'm not shure what I have done correctly i did not before.

But now it works for me and i want to tell what I did.

I'm running Linux Mint 4.0 Daryna and use an Intuos3 A5 wide.

I uninstalled my wine and deleted the ~/.wine folder completely.
After that I downloaded the ubuntu package of wine 9.33 from winehq_dot_org
and installed it.
At this point the pressure did NOT work.
Then I copied the gdiplus.dll from a friend who is running winXPpro into my drive_c/windows/system32 folder.
At this point the pressure still did NOT work.
Kind of frustrated, I updatet my wine version through the winehq repos.
Now I run wine 9.58. After this update my pressure works :D

Maybe this will work for someone.
Maybe it was just coencidence.

greetings
Snoer

tomciaaa
04-08-2008, 06:58 AM
Well if anyone's interested I think I can confirm snoer's solution: it did work flawlessly after completely reinstalling wine to version 0.9.58 on gentoo, tuxonice-sources-2.6.23-r10. Unfortunately, the version included with my bamboo fun didn't work (went complaining that it would only work with wacom tablet) so I had to get another.

@ArtRage team: keep up the good work guys! and if you aren't planning on native linux port, maybe you could test this thing in wine from time to time? Wouldn't be the first project saying it runs on linux, while secretly using wine ;)

Stefan
04-12-2008, 05:01 PM
I use Ubuntu Linux and Virtualbox, something like Vmware, (you can run Windows in a virtual environment), but free.

Once I have windows booted up, I start ArtRage in the "floating mode", wich means the windows perfectly integrate in the linux desktop.

Runs 100% stable and fine.

Cheers.

Hellmark
04-15-2008, 02:28 PM
However, virtual box severs the connection to the host, hogging it for itself, even after shutting down the virtual machine. Not so fun when you're dealing with a tabletpc.

dulciepercy
08-24-2008, 11:54 AM
Hi all,

Just wondering what is the latest advice. I had Artrage working perfectly on Ubuntu using the weird advice at the beginning of this thread, none of which I understood.

I installed a new distro (Mint 4) and totally screwed things up trying to install Artrage. So I've started afresh (this time with Xubuntu the latest (Hardy??)) and would like to know what to do and what not to do.

For example: Could I use Winedoors to install the free version first before installing the full version? (Just thinking it would install whatever dlls might be missing).

Do I have to recompile Wine like before?
Thanks
George

michaelw
09-04-2008, 11:05 AM
... a little late in this response...

Now that wine is at or above version 1.0 it works fine out the box with artrage. i'm just using wine, not winedoors or anything.

(no need to re-compile- the bugs that stopped pressure sometimes in wine have been fixed for a while now.)

If you're using a tablet, if you get pressure sensitivity in linux apps it'll work in wine... you MAY need to move the synaptics entry in xorg.conf or not. It just worked without changing anything there for me.

Sometimes I find that I cannot save a painting where I want to from artrage.

I can always save that to a drive with fat32 format though (so use a usb stick or save to your "c drive" in ~/.wine that always works too!)

For me I get a crash everytime when adding a ruler, but apparantly that happens on a minority of windows machines too.

On my laptop I have a dual boot with Ubuntu64 and Vista Home Premium. Artrage seems to actually perform better running through wine on linux....

(maybe due to lousy OpenGL support under vista in favour of DirectX, but I don't even know if Artrage uses that for its drawing so could be completely wrong there.)

I can't remember whether I used wine to install or copied a windows install. In the past I have done both with success though

I think you still need to copy gdiplus.dll, msvcr.dll and microsoft.VC80.CRT.manifest into the folder that has ArtRrage.exe in it

Hope that helps, once it's running it's like a native app.

Dread Knight
09-21-2008, 04:35 AM
I'd like to add my voice to the "Portage of Artrage2" to linux (Ubuntu) please.

I'd gladly pay Ģ50 for a 3 machine license ( 3 daughters) for Ubuntu.

+1 for that :-)

chomwitt
10-26-2008, 07:53 PM
I installed the starter free version in debian etch , and run it
through wine .Also after many many hours i was able to
use a wacom bamboo with it.
The program seems very good and the UI extraordinary and
unique.
I add +1 vote of support for linux port . I'll gladly pay for
a linux version or donate in case of an minimum , or old
libre version.

Prekates Alexandros
Trikala Greece.

sastian
05-22-2014, 03:25 AM
I installed the starter free version in debian etch , and run it
through wine .Also after many many hours i was able to
use a wacom bamboo with it.
The program seems very good and the UI extraordinary and
unique.
I add +1 vote of support for linux port . I'll gladly pay for
a linux version or donate in case of an minimum , or old
libre version.

Prekates Alexandros
Trikala Greece.

As a mac user. Im slowly becoming un-enchanted by the prospects of my computer turning into a big iphone. and win8 isn't much better. I keep saying that all we need a few good apps and is switch permanently to ubuntu. Art rage is one of those apps. PLease consider a native port!