PDA

View Full Version : mixed feelings

RobertSWade
10-13-2007, 05:40 AM
Extremely mixed feelings about this one.

D Akey
10-13-2007, 06:44 AM
Mixed because. . .?

You put it in the critique section. Why not critique it. Could prove a valuable exercise in zeroing in on what you are getting at. Trust yourself to know.

RobertSWade
10-13-2007, 06:52 AM
The foreground seems juxtaposed on top of the background ... the foreground colors are not to my liking ... it just seems overall to be a regression for me. Looking at it at this size, it doesn't seem all that bad but at 1800x1200 I just don't think it holds up well. Maybe it's a case of being my own worst critic ... I just don't feel good about it. :(

Taken as parts, the top two thirds are promising ... as are the bottom one third. They just don't work together.

Caesar
10-13-2007, 11:31 AM
Very good start in my view! I think that You may only try to add to the middle field slightly more detail and some of the lowered green; maybe You might use a low pressure chalk or oil pastel to exploit the paper grain (or set some metallic?) for obtaining a less detailed texture than the near field.
In the meantime You may add some of the sky colours in the near field shadows as well as some spots of more vivid green, some yellow/ orange/ ochre and maybe burnt sienna/alizarine.
I cannot grant the result because have more theory with standard painting than with AR (I nevere extensively and methodically tested).

xHaStex
10-13-2007, 04:17 PM
helllo Robert.
i will never claim to be an expert on this type of painting probably because i hardly ever spend time looking at this style of art but i really like this piece.
i think that the colours work really well together and i find that if i look blankly at the picture, my eye is drawn to the water at the bottom then to the clouds at the top, and with the style of brush stroke you have used on the clouds, it instantly makes me want to see the bottom 3rd again because personally this is my preferred section but without the top 2 3rds i may not feel that way.
obviously you are the decider in whether you like a piece or not and you'll probably get a more useful critique from people such as DAkey and Ceaser but in my opinion i think you did an outstanding job on this.

John B
10-24-2007, 07:53 PM
Really like this one Robert. Love the impressionistic sky (brushstrokes) I agree with Caeser about the middle ground. Need a little stronger contrasting values. Excellent work. John B