PDA

View Full Version : Still Life

pai
09-24-2007, 09:36 PM
I'm trying to paint onions. This is just something from memory when one day I was in the supermarket. This image just pop up and I want to try it. But it turns out neither is onion or orange. (some onion is round shape) :lol: :lol: If someone could give me some suggestion or ways to try to paint the textures of the onion. These are two versions (not finish). One the colour is darker than the other. I hope you can see the difference. Thanks in advance for looking in. :)

screenpainter
09-24-2007, 11:50 PM
It is so beautiful already.

ENCHANTER
09-25-2007, 06:44 PM
gz thats what i was thinking.......looks like a finished painting :D

D Akey
09-25-2007, 09:18 PM
Wonderful Pai!

Selective detailing could work really well, because I like the luminous quality of the onions now, so perhaps some of that can remain as it looks now?

Interesting. However you do it would be great, I'm sure. :D

dawalrus
09-25-2007, 09:49 PM
I like this a lot Pai. The foreground of onions gets my attention and the very interesting background brings me all the way into the painting. It says 'Come in and look around'. Very well done!

Paul

pai
09-25-2007, 09:54 PM
Thanks for everyone inputs and comments. Really appreciated and they help. After looking at my above version, I found something I'm not quite satistfied as a whole in my mind then I try another version. But that doesn't mean I'll just abandon previous one. I want to see different ways of doing it. I guess I'm kind of in this mode a lot right now. Here's another initial tries.

pai
09-27-2007, 08:43 PM
I have accidental didn't save the bigger ptg file after posting these process. :lol: So I have to re-paint a little bit more and save it back to(original 1920x1149) . These are some progress in these days, still testing and trying it. :)

pai
09-28-2007, 03:22 AM
Finished with the onions then I'll work on the background for next. Now looking at 2 versions, I'm not sure which one is better. :roll:

screenpainter
09-28-2007, 03:46 AM
I swear you could paint with ketchup and it would be a masterpiece.
Great job!

pai
09-28-2007, 04:29 AM
Hi GZ, thanks for the comment. :) You made me :oops: I've lots to learn. I found out that these WIP postings really can help me to learn more while I paint.

I found out background support is not easy to do. But I'm tired for today and this is the best I can try now.

Nickillus
09-28-2007, 01:15 PM
Looking promising Pai. Both are nice.
Not sure if you have access to an image editor programme like Photoshop (Gimp is free online and a lot of people love it - in case the heinous pricing of Adobe software is an issue - and why wouldn't it be?).

I've started playing at creating textural stencils from image files prepared in Photoshop. Using free texture images from here and elsewhere
http://www.mayang.com/textures/index.htm
I've been doing it this way - not sure if it's right or wrong, but it kind of gives me something to work with.

In Photoshop (what I used) or equivalent:-

1) Convert the image to grayscale
2) Adjust the image using a 'threshold' filter
3) Copy the image to a layer and erase it on the backgound one.
4) magic wand select either the light or dark as you see fit (untick the contigious box to select all unconnected sections in the image of that tonal range)
5) Delete the selected area using backspace.
6) Delete the background layer and you're left with a layer to save as a psd file that can be 'imported to layer' in ArtRage.

If you then scale it to suit and save it as a stencil, you have a texture to move around and use as you want in the image. Maybe you can find a texture that would be perfect for how you recall your onions, to use sparingly just where you feel it would sit right.

Don't know if that's any help. Sorry if it sounds a bit technical. I'm not that good at explaining the fudgey way I bumble my way to getting what I want. Hope it does help though.

I look forward to seeing the finish.
Nick

pai
09-28-2007, 04:44 PM
Hi Nickillus,

Thanks for looking in. :)

No, I don't have/use other image editor program nor I have Photoshop. The only one I have is the Microsoft Photo editor which comes with the PC. Artrage is all I have and I love it since I got it. My PC doesn't have enough space or memory to hold too many big programs.

But I really appreciate you taking time to write me the instructions on how to do the texture background from image. (I'm not good in editing picture). I'm sure it will benefit to others members as well. I'm trying to see if Artrage can do/create textures from your instruction or others in this forum.

I'm not good in using other applications (like the one with lots of buttons) that's why I found Artrage is so easy for me. It let me learn how to draw and paint. :)

Now, I need to go and finish the last touch of this painting.

ps. Your drawing skills are excellent which I like to read your thread. :)

pai
09-30-2007, 10:36 PM
I think I'm finished with this painting. It's the best I can do for now. :)

_Lady_Art_
09-30-2007, 11:20 PM
Pai really these are nothing more than masterpiece... :) expressions of onions are so gorgeous... :) have you had made this by chalk tool or crayon tool?

pai
09-30-2007, 11:46 PM
Hi Lady Art,

Thanks for looking in. :) Mostly is oil in this painting. I used little chalk and crayon for highlight and then use knife with low pressure to blend it. I'm still in experimenting different tools settings.

D Akey
10-01-2007, 02:30 AM
Very nice, Pai. :D :D :D

Taron
10-01-2007, 11:23 AM
Beautiful, Pai! I'm rather impressed with this WIP, very sweet!
If you don't mind me making a suggestion, I would probably have helped the perspective with the size of the onions (?!), trying to have at least one of them just a bit closer to vary in size enough for a stronger sense of perspective. You've done already such a nice job on the bag.

If you were to make one of the onions larger, because it was closer, you might want to make it overlap with one behind her, but I don't think it's a must. Just some thoughts.

Very sweet style! You should keep this one at a save place and consider coming back to it at a later point in time to create a naturalistic shading on the onions (lighting/silky highlights/mild translucency/pieces of skin off).

:D Congrats, however, I think this could become a very important WIP thread for you!

pai
10-02-2007, 02:08 AM
Hi Taron,

Thank you very much for looking in and the nice comments. :) Of course, I don't mind suggestion and your help from great artists like you and others in this forum. The suggestions will help me seeing my mistakes.

I see what you mean for the perspective of the onion. I have made the middle one slightly bigger now (I guess). I should have separate the onion and the bag in 2 different layers. As for the onion structure, I think it's true it needs time to try different ways to paint to get it and re-visit it.

Yes, I found this WIP processes quite helpful to me after I posted here. It made me taking time to see the whole painting in different angles. I really enjoy this painting myself. :)

Thanks.