PDA

View Full Version : chalk on the sidewalk

Hypnomedi
05-30-2006, 02:04 PM
Took a picture of our sidewalk
and painted with chalk and evening landscape on it.

Johan

Fashmir
05-30-2006, 02:49 PM
Brilliant. I love this kind of thing. It is fun to see it done digitally. You should try loading the sidewalk photo as a paper grain as well so your chalk actually follows the surface of the stones.

Aged P
05-30-2006, 02:56 PM
Hi Johan,

Using your own sidewalk makes it so unique.

I love the Belgium/Netherlands landscape, so much sky!
Perhaps I'll try some of my holiday pictures.

Hypnomedi
05-30-2006, 04:30 PM
Lucky me, I have not deleted the Art-file yet ! :lol:

See, if I can do something with it.

Johan

AndyRage
05-30-2006, 10:30 PM
Wow, Hypnomedi, that's really very cool!
It really does look 'in place' there on the sidewalk.

Awesome stuff!

Hypnomedi
05-31-2006, 08:15 AM
"You should try loading the sidewalk photo as a paper grain as well so your chalk actually follows the surface of the stones. "

More like this you mean?

Johan

cym
05-31-2006, 08:59 AM
I'm sitting here trying to think of the right words, and just keep coming back to "this is so cool!".
Great idea, lovely artwork. Made me smile to see it.

Aged P
05-31-2006, 09:33 AM
Visual perception is so strange!

Now the first one looks like a sidewalk and the second one more like a wall! This is probably caused by the default lighting, being discussed in another thread. When texture is introduced, it is always lit from the top left corner. This is wrong for a sidewalk, but right for a wall.

The important part is the picture. I never saw those Pollarded trees in the Netherlands, but they're common around here. They make a strong image.

(I have been to Belgium, but it was just "Ladies and Gentlemen we are stopping at the chocolate factory for 20 minutes!", not really a visit!)

bearblue1
05-31-2006, 11:10 AM
cooooool.

Hypnomedi
05-31-2006, 01:04 PM
I have deleted all files, so I go on with my next project.
A friend suggested that I straighten the sidewalk tiles,
and that was a big mistake I think, seeing now to the original background.
Shall think of it next time I want to paint on this background.

Have purchased some books about painting and can now
learn something about technics.

Johan

Fashmir
05-31-2006, 03:29 PM
Hi Johan, Yes, that is what I was suggesting. Looking at them together though I have to agree with Aged P about the lighting making it look more like a wall in the second one. I would be in favor of lighting control in ArtRage for this reason and others. I realized Johan that in my enthusiasm for the way you presented it on your sidewalk, I had not commented on your actual chalk drawing. Please allow me to mention now that I love the scene and the colors you used. I can almost hear a lonley bird call across the water.

Question: Why delete your files?

florida girl
05-31-2006, 03:52 PM
Great Idea, Hypomedi!
The scene you created is very peaceful.

I especially like the older tree that has been pruned back. It looks like it is rich with history & could tell many storys of years gone by...reflecting the the whole atmosphere of Europe & the Netherlands - which is known for water, beautiful sunsets, rich history, great architecture, Milestone caves & even ruins unearthed of an anchient city dating back thousands of years from the Romans, I believe? Your in a painters paradise! 8)

Hypnomedi
05-31-2006, 04:45 PM
Thanks all!

"Question: Why delete your files?"

Yes why?.... After saving the finishing product I always delete the files I worked with.
just a habbit I guess, I have room enough on HD.

Maybe a good idea to keep also.

Johan

justG
06-01-2006, 10:21 AM
Hi Johan. I love chalks. This is a beautiful piece. I didn't notice the effect of ArtRage's default lighting (untrained eye). The first image you posted was very pretty, but when you posted the second - wow! It's so dramatic now, with the artwork picking up the texture of the photo. The colours seem deeper and richer too. It's just lovely, I really like it. Thanks for posting!

- Gita

Hypnomedi
06-01-2006, 12:57 PM
I'm sure I could have done a better job with the background if I had not deleted
the original files. :lol:
I am now just trying different brushes to see what I like
the most.
I was supprised to see what I have done with the chalk.
Because I have compleet no graphic background.
Just started a week ago with ArtRage, never have painted in my entire life..

Johan