PDA

View Full Version : Peacock-ish Love birds :)

jessilynn
08-03-2007, 05:32 PM
I love being able to use my "Artists' Licence" Being able to create new things without following the rules of life. :)

Still not sure if the way I am doing the tree bark/grain is looking right?

ÄlveKatt
08-03-2007, 05:35 PM
Soo cute!

I love what you have done with the details so far, including the bark. Can't wait to see more detail crop up!

ÄlveKatt
08-03-2007, 05:39 PM
You asked for tips about the bark, right? What you could do is make the lines in the bark taper roundly toward the upper and lower parts, to give the branch a sense of being three dimensional.

Still love it. :D

Edit: You can ignore this on account on artistic license. But I just realized what's wrong with the bark. You have patterned it not with a bark pattern, but with the patterns you get in a sawed up plank...

jessilynn
08-03-2007, 05:40 PM
That is a very good idea! Thank you. I really am having a hard time with the smaller stems... I think your idea may work for those very well! :)

I will give you an update. :)

ÄlveKatt
08-03-2007, 05:42 PM
Your very welcome!

Look at the edit in my last post!

jessilynn
08-03-2007, 05:47 PM
lol thats SO true! Now that you mention it... I think all my trees have been done that way... well I thought so, then went to pull this one up. I guess it is different?

RobertSWade
08-03-2007, 07:14 PM
Well I like your curlique bark. :)

D Akey
08-03-2007, 07:53 PM
Incorporating whimsy into the pic makes for lots of visual charm and can allow you to pump in an emotion like the score in a movie or laugh track in a TV sitcom.

It can be a second read. You see the main image first, and then suddenly you see that all the leaves are little hearts or suns and moons whatever. Would carry a completely different connotation in either case. But both would be cool.

I really like the tails on the birds. It's amusing, fancy, graphically lyrical, and makes me think of joyful play -- the sense of which could be analogous to taking your straight hair and getting a perm. They're coiffed and special, these birds, but in a light way.

Women would be likely to buy this. When you're dealing with love as a subject, and adding to it some of the vanities that women indulge in, you have great appeal for that audience.

It's all very cute. There are groups that LOVE that kind of thing.

For me, I like it because it reminds me a bit of the 1960s and a lot of the visual play from that era. And I have a real soft spot in my heart for things of my youth.

jessilynn
08-04-2007, 01:20 AM
RobertSWade- Thank you very much. :D

DAkey- You seem to always offer invaluable advice from a really great point of view! I really appreciate the feedback.

The fact that this piece reminds you of the 60's is totally awesome! :) I am really in love with alot of the modern art, furniture home decor from that era .... and was really wanting to give my art that feel. I am so glad you think I have exceeded. Just really made my day!

Steppenwolf
08-04-2007, 08:31 AM
I will keep it simple, since I am a wolf of few words: lovely style. Those birds make me smile and make me hungry. Yummy.

pai
08-04-2007, 11:53 PM
Your drawings and paintings are so adorable and lovely. :D

bugfix
08-05-2007, 07:21 AM
It reminds me to some old French comics - i really like this kind of art. it's simply charming :) Nice work!

screenpainter
08-05-2007, 09:13 AM
I think the bark is wonderful and works well for the graphic style. There is nothing wrong at all with it. I like the way you are doing it graphically, and think you should continue with it... it would make it uniquely yours (heart shape included) and add to the fun of the piece. I may be wrong, but I don't think you are going for photo realism here. So why worry about it.
Your pieces are wonderful.

jessilynn
08-06-2007, 01:46 PM
steppenwolf- Thank You! Coming from a wolf, that is quite a compliment. :D

Pai- Why, Thank You.

Bugfix- Wow, that is a compliment!

gzairborne- Thank you, I am glad you posted what you did. You kind of reassured me... I had played around with the grain of the bark. Tried to change it a little, but I just couldnt seem to get it to flow right. I have "just about" finished the bark, and continued it with how I started. :)

*Has anyone caught the word "love" written in the bark? Maybe I should make it a little more prominent?

I will try and post it either completed or a little further along later today! :)

Steppenwolf
08-06-2007, 02:08 PM
Oh, that's why I was thinking about love everytime I watched them. Call it subliminal power! Phew, for a moment I thought I was having on of those attack of stupid romanticism.

sbug51
08-06-2007, 06:19 PM
thats cool, nice thick shades.

jessilynn
08-06-2007, 11:43 PM
Here it is, completely finished! Finally....

steppenwolf- You really are too funny! :)

sbug51- Thanks!!

ÄlveKatt
08-07-2007, 12:29 AM
I absolutely love the end result! More like this! :)

jessilynn
08-07-2007, 12:31 AM
Aww thank You!! :) I am definitly motivated to start another one similar, BUT I have another illustration that needs finished first. :)

...such is life! :)

bugfix
08-07-2007, 07:34 AM
jessilynn - double thumbs up! Very very very nice finalisation!

pai
08-07-2007, 08:11 PM
Very well drawing and painting. :)

Bobbi
08-07-2007, 08:36 PM
I love looking at this one. Something very appealing about it. Nice work.

jessilynn
08-07-2007, 10:26 PM
Thank you everyone!

I am really excited, I just listed the illustration yesterday and sold a copy today! :)

D Akey
08-07-2007, 10:48 PM
Wow. I knew you would find a market quick. Nice work on all fronts. :D

jessilynn
08-08-2007, 01:49 PM
DAkey- Thank you very much. :)

RobertSWade
08-08-2007, 06:11 PM
Turned out wonderfully! :)