PDA

View Full Version : Knifeman 1 and 2.

jacktar51
04-07-2007, 08:47 AM
This is the late early 50's this guy would come round asking if there was any knives that wanted sharpening, he had a pedal cycle with two seats on it ,one seat mounted on the handlebar stem and facing towards the back of the bike,a big black painted stand lifted the back wheel off the ground,and attached to it was a big spring, the other end of that was a grindstone,also on a swivel bracket, arranged in such a manner that when the stand was pushed down raising the rear wheel of the bike off the ground,the grindstone was pulled down onto the back wheel tyre. he would sit on the reverse mounted seat facing the back wheel and sharpen the knives on this grindstone, by pedaling the back wheel, he would do up to twenty knives for 6 old pennys.....a blast from the past..... Jack.

jacktar51
04-07-2007, 08:54 AM
This is another shot closer up , the pictures are dark because I like to paint light over dark, The background is purposely blurred, so i can paint selectively focussed on the Man who is the main subject....

Fashmir
04-07-2007, 02:38 PM
This is good Jack. By the title I was expecting a swashbuckler brandishing an knife. This was actually a nice surprise. I like this depiction of a man putting his skills to good service. The close up is great to see. I like the way you have shaded his face and given him a pleasant demeanor.

D Akey
04-07-2007, 06:51 PM
Hi Jack,

Well, subject wise, you have a traveling knife sharpener. He's a tradesman identified as that in this picture.

What you've done is blurred that storytelling and intriguing element of the pic. It would be like having a painting called 'Man Smoking a Pipe' and blurring the pipe.

Also, on the strictly mechanical level, because we're used to seeing blurring because of camera lenses and effects filters, if it doesn't look consistent with depth of field, it looks manipulated.

I could see him in focus and the background getting blurry if you wanted to focus on the figure.

But it's an ambitious experiment. And thanks for sharing it.

Colors and composition are working well.

jacktar51
04-07-2007, 07:24 PM
Its a Scrapper D... I only put it on because I am done with it...its a non starter... a no hoper.. and I dont like it,I have sort of half heartedly made a start on sharpening up the man, but I dont want to do this anymore,it was a little thing from my past when I was a kid, this guy did come round about once a month or so, I just remember him, he was very brown tanned because his work was outside. and he always wore the black leather cap, I remember it fell off one day while I was watching him working, he was bald on the top, and it was white as snow, funny how silly little things stick... thank you for looking D , but dont hold your breath on this one .... Jack.

D Akey
04-07-2007, 08:43 PM
Yeah, I have vivid memories of a guy who came around maybe just a few times in my very early life. He was delivering. . . what the heck was he delivering? Anyway, the point for us kids was he had big blocks of ice in his truck.

And on really hot, humid days he came around trailing a string of kids behind. And he would stop. Folks would come out. And I guess to please the customers, or himself, he would chip chunks of ice off and hand it to us kids to suck on. This was before we had ever seen an ice cream truck.

The ice glistened as it melted and was sweeter than any treat, because it was an exciting moment on the quiet neighborhood street.

What a vivid recollection. What the ice guy looked like is a blur. But the ice was highly prized and I remember it most vividly.

I can thus see why you blurred the part of the image that you were less focused on. And it makes good sense in light of your recollection. You're painting a very subjective memory.

Fashmir
04-08-2007, 01:06 AM
Have I gone invisible?

D Akey
04-08-2007, 05:32 AM
Dang it Jack. . . The knife sharpener guy ain't sharp enough and poor Fashmir's clean invisible. . .

Perhaps if his hat fell off you might remember him better.

lol: :lol: :lol:

jacktar51
04-08-2007, 12:20 PM
Oh dear!!!! poor Fashmir...Sorry David, you were kind enough to come in ,make nice comments about my crap painting, and then I go and miss you out of the reply ,So a huge appology from me, I am a bad, naughty ,ignorant Jack, smack on the wrist, dont do it again,...Jack.

odemilson
04-11-2007, 01:36 PM
Even this days, in my city there's an old guy that does that work...

He appears at saturday mornings, and sometimes he brings along a piece of metal, about the size of a belt... He uses this metal to make some music notes from the wheel, like it was some sort of strange musical instrument...

But i think this activity is almost extinct...

----

By the way, nice work Jack. Beautiful ambientation...