PDA

View Full Version : JPG File Quality

Pete
05-01-2006, 12:29 PM
Hello,

Just a quick and maybe stupid question. When I export my painting to a .jpg file it doesn't look as detailed as the ArtRage file. Just not as detailed and it seems to me that it looks a bit grainy looking. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,
Pete

pentool
05-01-2006, 08:38 PM
I agree, there's too much compression on the JPG file. Would be nice if a dialog of some sort would allow to set the compression.

AndyRage
05-01-2006, 09:06 PM
JPG will add artifacts to a varying degree based on the amount of compression. The more compression, the more artifacts.
If you want to export in a format that has some compression, but has no visible artifacts at all, use PNG. It's a lossless compression.

With ArtRage we've tried to avoid exposing settings and controls as much as possible. The compression we've chosen for JPG is fairly high, but doesn't give too much visible artifacting. If you're an advanced enough user to want different compression settings on ArtRage, we think it's likely you have other packages that can do the compression for you.
Export the ArtRage painting as a .png, load that into another program and export it from there as a .jpg with whatever compression you like.

Aged P
05-02-2006, 06:37 AM
Could compression artefacts be what screws up the occasional JPG print out? I sometimes end up with a mistiness across most of the surface, particularly if the original PTG contained glitter.

AndyRage
05-02-2006, 07:25 AM
Printing is a whole other problem.
In ArtRage we haven't spent any time on tweaking the output for the printer. We just send the raw result straight to the Operating System printer interface.
If you're printing from within ArtRage, the only things you can tweak are the printer settings in the printer setup dialogs - standard Operating System stuff. You could try increasing the contrast, and the colour richness if your printer setup supports it.

If you want better printed output, export the painting as a .psd or .png and take it into another application to adjust the result for better printed output.

Pete
05-02-2006, 11:18 AM
Thanks for all your help Andy I will try you suggestion...

Thanks,
Pete