PDA

View Full Version : New printer needed

Bejay
01-24-2007, 10:15 AM
Hi all,

I'm looking to buy a new printer to replace my Epson C62. Can't seem to get very good quality colour prints anymore from it, maybe i never did!

Anyway just wondered if anyone could recommend a model that they have had good experience with? I would need it to go up to A4 and be able to print on light card, photo quality paper etc... and cost around 100

Many thanks,

Bejay 8)

Aged P
01-24-2007, 11:06 AM
Hi Bejay,

Pretty well any modern printer which claims to be "photographic quality! will do. If it can handle thick high quality paper. Multiple ink cartridges are a plus if you do a lot of printing. You just buy the colour you have used up, not a set of three in one cartridge. It must accept thick paper at one side and discharge it at the other, it won't go round a roller system.

This brings up my only real unresolved problem with ArtRage.
To achieve the various wonderful effects, such as Paint texture and Glitter, the picture is "virtually lit" from the top left hand corner.

Real World paintings are not.

Prints therefore emerge as if they were already lit.
I have had various problems with this on three different printers.
Also, once it in a frame and sold the light can come from anywhere

I would like the ability to turn off the "virtual lighting" It would lose the texture effects and brush marks, but it would also lose some of the anomalies. This can be done in the Colour sample menu to get identical colour picks, but not as a feature.

Try something which uses Glitter through your existing printer and see how it turns out. I have stopped using it for leaves.

Phil

Bejay
01-24-2007, 11:35 AM
Thanks for that Phil, and also thank you for your comments on my winter scene. I guess i paint snow well because i just love painting snow scenes.

My dilemma with buying a new printer is that there is so many to choose from! I think I'll end up going for another epson though as they seem very reliable and the ink is reasonably priced. One of the biggest problems i find is getting good quality images on card. but I'm hoping thats mainly due to my current printer!

Bejay 8)

justG
01-24-2007, 01:36 PM
Hi Bejay, if I may, I'll advise you against another Epson. Mind you, I'd never had anything but Epson printers, having used them for years, beginning with a massive dot matrix jobby that used to take up half my work table.

Anyway. The thing is I'd never really gone for the higher end since I didn't require that level of image quality, just the occasional photo print. I'd always stuck to the mid-range, consumer level models, much like your C62. My last Epson printer was a C64, just one model newer than yours I think.

The problem that I've had with the last 2 or 3 Epson printers I've owned is that either the ink dries out, or in the case of the C64, the black ink simply stops working, no matter how much the nozzles are cleaned. After a brief Google search and perusing some forum posts, I determined that I didn't just get a lemon, this is actually quite a common problem with the printer.

I started to look around for something comparable to the C64 in the same price range, same quality, etc. After reading several reviews, I selected the Canon PIXMA iP4300. Not only was it comparable to the Epson in price, but actually worked out cheaper because it came with a full set of ink cartridges, including a high-capacity black ink cartridge. Granted, it doesn't look as nice as the Epson did, but for what its worth, it's been working flawlessly for the several months I've now owned it. I'd always read pretty horrible things about Canon printers and had determined not to buy one, but it seems they've really improved the quality of their inkjets in recent years.

Might be worth a bit of your time and consideration, in any case. Hope it helps, and good luck with your decision.

Bejay
01-24-2007, 01:54 PM
Thanks justG for those comments, funny enough thats one of the printers that i have been thinking about.
Just wondered, have you tried any card type paper in it? the sort used for making greetings cards etc...

Bejay 8)

creationsings
01-24-2007, 02:33 PM
I have a Canon iP4000 (the predecessor to the one justG mentioned). I love my printer. Granted, I can't compare it to the Epson as I've never had one -- I had an HP before and it was awful. But I've printed on multiple forms of media using my Canon and it's worked out great. I have used card stock, glossy photo paper, and even inkJet canvas and they all worked out good. The only thing that I have learned that I have to be careful of, though, is that cheap glossy photo paper doesn't work well in the printer. The ink just floats on top of the paper...especially the blacks. But if I use the Canon paper, or even the Epson paper, it works wonderfully well.

Bejay
01-24-2007, 02:42 PM
Thanks Erica,

Thats very helpful info.

Bejay 8)

cripster
01-24-2007, 07:59 PM
I've had 3 brother printer and they seem to work ok with artrage i've got the dcp130 and thats so far the best printer i've had.

my 10c lol

Bejay
01-25-2007, 12:33 PM
Thanks Crisper, To be honest i had never even thought of Brother printers as an option,so I'm going to search around on the net to find some more info on them.

Bejay

justG
01-26-2007, 04:38 AM
Just wondered, have you tried any card type paper in it? the sort used for making greetings cards etc...
I'm glad Erica has a similar printer and was able to provide a helpful response, because I haven't had reason or opportunity to use anything but "normal" paper in mine. Incidentally, I haven't purchased any special paper for it, but I've also only printed just some PDFs and text pages and whatnot. For that it's been fine. I'm sure the higher-quality paper would make a difference with digital images and/or photographs.

D Akey
01-26-2007, 05:10 AM
The printer ink is what will cost ya.

Printers are comparatively inexpensive. I have no recommendations for a model though. Haven't looked for a long time.