PDA

View Full Version : trace image contrast

Bruce Letellier
03-06-2012, 12:54 AM
Hi,

I am hoping to use the trace features of ArtRage for a very unconventional application. I want to import a science-related photograph and visually collect data by tracing features and marking reference points on my iPad.

On my first attempt, I discovered that even at 100% opacity, the contrast of the overlay image is washed out (presumably to facilitate tracing and artistic enhancement).

Is there any way retain the full color depth of the imported image? I need to see fine details in my black and white image while tracing over with a bold color.

Also, is it possible to export to tiff? I would prefer to keep the same format as my original images.

Thanks,
Bruce

DaveRage
03-06-2012, 01:10 AM
Hi Bruce,

There isn't a way to make the tracing image fully opaque, but you could do this instead:

After loading your tracing image, open the tracing image panel, tap the menu button ( bottom right ) and choose 'convert to paint' to convert the tracing image to paint on a single layer.

Then apply your media to a layer above. Depending on what you want to acheive, you could use the 'tint' or 'multiply' blend mode for the upper layer. You can change the blend mode in the layers panel by selecting the layer you want to change it for then tapping 'blend mode: normal' and selecting from the list.

Alternatively, you could start your painting from the gallery by choosing to import the photograph directly as a new painting, then add a layer similar to what I described above.

ArtRage for iPad supports png and jpg export, but doesn't have a tiff option.

I hope this helps!

Bruce Letellier
03-06-2012, 05:10 AM
Thank you, Dave. This is exactly what I needed!

Richard Leonetti
08-17-2012, 11:53 PM
I have made and saved a "grid" as a .jpg. Can I lay that on top of a drawing (another layer) I have made in iPad Art Rage, so that I can print out the Grid over the top of my sketch? That is, get my sketch with the grid imposed over the sketch?

The solution is to save the grid as a PNG on a transparent background. It then loads as an image. (The problem before was loading the image as a JPEG which fills in a solid white background that covers the other image.

Hi Bruce,

There isn't a way to make the tracing image fully opaque, but you could do this instead:

After loading your tracing image, open the tracing image panel, tap the menu button ( bottom right ) and choose 'convert to paint' to convert the tracing image to paint on a single layer.

Then apply your media to a layer above. Depending on what you want to acheive, you could use the 'tint' or 'multiply' blend mode for the upper layer. You can change the blend mode in the layers panel by selecting the layer you want to change it for then tapping 'blend mode: normal' and selecting from the list.

Alternatively, you could start your painting from the gallery by choosing to import the photograph directly as a new painting, then add a layer similar to what I described above.

ArtRage for iPad supports png and jpg export, but doesn't have a tiff option.

I hope this helps!

hypotaxis
08-18-2012, 12:20 AM
I can't say about an iPad because I don't have one, but you certainly can on my Mac with AR Studio Pro. Make the file and then either export it as a .PNG or whatever you want or print it direct from AR. Try it and see :-)

Cheers

Brett