PDA

View Full Version : Where is my saved, unfinished painting on my iPad?

cave76
01-30-2012, 01:23 AM
I'm sorry if this issue has been discussed elsewhere--- I looked and couldn't find it.

I have a new iPad2 and was pleasantly surprised to see that there is an app. for ArtRage for the iPad. I quickly downloaded it and played with it a bit before I had to quit. I saved it (I thought!)

Then later when I had time to go back in and play some more---- I can't find the 'saved' pic. My iPad2 shows I installed it--- the 'purchased' apps show it but I can't even get ArtRage to open. I don't care about the saved pic, it was a bunch of nonsense, but I can't figure out how to get another ArtRage screen to open---[edit to add---- on my iPad2. AR opens fine on my desktop]

Any ideas? Please? I'm really excited about having ArtRage on my iPad2.
Thanks if someone can answer.

Margi
01-30-2012, 05:12 PM
Normally, if you saved the pic, it will be in the gallery. If you can't get Artrage to open, try rebooting your iPad. I haven't had this problem, so I am just guessing. If , at the bottom of the screen, you see a profile of a head it is telling you the memory is low, if you saved it while that was on, it may not have saved properly. Reboot should get the app going in any case.

cave76
01-30-2012, 06:14 PM
Marji,
Thanks for your suggestions. I rebooted (and I think I did it correctly) but that didn't work.

My batteries were only a little low (about 45%) yesterday, but I recharged anyway and tried again this a.m. Still nothing.

I don't know where the 'gallery' is. (Remember, I'm a new iPad user) but I've looked under photos, camera, video, anything that might be considered a 'gallery'.

In the apps place it showed ArtRage installed, and I know it was because I used it yesterday. Once. Since then tapping on the icon doesn't bring up anything.
[edit to add----- btw, it's not the saved pic that I'm concerned about---- it's the fact that I can't access ArtRage on my iPad 2, when I was able to when I first purchased it.]
ITunes charged my credit card (I checked).

In the dark.

One question----- I rebooted while the iPad was on. Is that the correct way to do it?

Now, here's a really stupid question. Brace yourself!!! I have had Artrage for years on my desktop computer. Surely I don't have to buy another ArtRage for my iPad? Especially since the app did work once.

Margi
01-30-2012, 07:47 PM
Hmm, you can only access the gallery if the app is open. You have the option to save to photos once thongs are working. Hold the power button down till it says "power off" slide the slider to off. Hold the power but for quite a time until the white apple appears. Then it will come back on. It takes a few minutes. Nothing is ever lost doing this. After that i would contact the app support.

cave76
01-30-2012, 08:19 PM
***Hmm, you can only access the gallery if the app is open. ***
Real Catch 22. (grin)

I will have to contact Apple support I guess. I spent some time finding my serial number and reading other forums. At first I thought maybe my IOS wasn't 'up to date' but it seems that it's a 4. something and only a 3. something is needed for this app.

I keep my iTunes updates--- up to date.

Just noticed---- my Kindle app (on iPad2 that I installed and used to sync with my Kindle yesterday is also not working. So something's dreadfully amiss.

What IOS are you using? Maybe I need to update to IOS 5.0.

Margi
01-30-2012, 08:36 PM
i use iOS 5, but there are lots of people still on the other. I don't think that should matter. I meant that you should contact the Artrage support, which would be going to the app store, going to the art rage app (it should say installed) and then finding a link to support, it should be obvious. Then sending them an email. But perhaps, if other things are not working properly, there is something else wrong.

cave76
01-30-2012, 09:22 PM
Thank you for your more than kind responses.

Those two apps do show as installed (and actually worked once, each)
but I can't tap/click (or pound!!)! on them to bring anything up.

I did see the support button on the non-working app but didn't have the serial number or whatever other info they needed. And I'm not sure that means my old
ArtRage information (sigh) or the iPad2 stuff.
Never easy.

Thanks---- and I'm sure there's something else going on, probably simple, I hope, but it eludes me.

Someonesane
01-30-2012, 10:04 PM
With your iPad on, go to the home screen (the screen that shows you all of your apps). Then double tap your home button (the circular button on the face of the iPad, with the picture of a square on it). This should bring up your active (but idle) apps, on a menu bar, along the bottom of your screen. Put your finger down on one of the apps, and hold it there, until your the icons begin to wiggle, and you will see a small red circle, with a white dash, in corner of the app icons. Tap each of the icons, on the red circle, to close them out. When you have closed all of your active apps, click your home button once, to return to the normal iPad screen. Now try to open the programs you haven't been able to use.

Notes:

ē This may not work, but I have had apps (like the TV guide app) stop opening, and this has solved the issue.

ē If you hold your finger down, over an app icon in the normal iPad window, you will activate the window editing for the screen. It's similar to what is explained above, except if you tap the circle (which will be black, instead of red, with a white "X"), it will unload that app from your iPad. You may then reinstall it from the App store (no charge).

DaveRage
01-30-2012, 10:04 PM
You don't need to provide a serial number for the iPad or iPhone version, these versions don't have serial numbers. Sorry for the confusion. I have your email now, just reading through it and will reply to you directly. I see you've already rebooted the iPad, however this doesn't close down parked apps if they were sitting in the background and the problem was due to low memory.

Margi
01-30-2012, 10:44 PM
Good call Someonesane, I forgot about that trick!

cave76
02-01-2012, 06:46 PM
Dave (and all)

It seems as if I deleted my ArtRage. I thought I'd followed the directions but evidently not. :(

Someonesane gave some good directions but I fear that I'm at a different 'place' now and those directions may be moot. But I'll keep them as reference.

Without going on and on------and cutting to the chase-----how can I get ArtRage back on my iPad 2?

...assuming I deleted it instead of just closing it as I thought I was doing with those jittery little icons on the multitask bar.

I looked through iPad 2's user manual and it says (I think!) that if I hook my iPad up to the computer (with iTunes active) I can get AR back on my iPad.

Does anyone feel this might be the easiest and simplest way?
I'm so confused at this point but I want to thank everyone for suggestions.

Margi
02-01-2012, 08:25 PM
That is likely the only way. When you buy an app, (also free apps) you go through the iTunes store. When you delete an app ( I often do if I am not using them or they are taking up space) it is never deleted off of your computer.
So, hook up your iPad. open iTunes (it will likely open automatically upon hooking up). Click on where it says "your names iPad" (right under Devices) across the top you will see Summary, then Info, then Apps etc. Click on Apps. Look down the list until you see Artrage and click a check in the box. Go to the bottom right of your screen and click sync. That should do it.

cave76
02-01-2012, 11:49 PM
I give up.

I connected iPad 2 to computer with iTunes up.
The descriptions offered by Marji werenít exactly like what I saw but thatís not unusual given different browsers, OSís, computers so I didnít worry.

I Ďfinallyí got some syncing going on----- after my iPad stopped syncing (Iím assuming with iTunes )--------NO ARTRAGE!

So, Iím going to buy another AR app. At least the price is reasonable and Iím never never never going to take it off my multi-task bar at the bottom of the screen.

Here is what the iPad userís manual says about this:

Syncing Purchases
When you connect iPad to your computer, iTunes automatically syncs apps you download or purchase on iPad to your iTunes library. This lets you access the downloaded apps on your computer and provides a backup if you delete apps from iPad.
Downloaded apps are backed up the next time you sync with iTunes. Afterwards, only app data is backed up when you sync with iTunes.
Apps are synced to the Apps list in your iTunes library.

Well, I donít know where mine went------I hope whoever finds it enjoys it!

I give up.

MattRage
02-02-2012, 12:19 AM
Removing it from the Multitasking Bar (not the dock) does not delete it from your iPad, in fact you will need to remove apps from there if you want to avoid your iPad crashing in the future.

As you have already purchased it, you don't need to purchase it again - The App Store is a bit confusing here, because it will show you a purchase button even if you have bought it, but when you tap that button you should be prompted that you have already purchased it and asked if you want to download it again. If you find you are charged, you should contact Apple and they should be able to help.

Margi
02-02-2012, 01:03 AM
Whensyncing you have options of Automatically syncing everything or being able to pick and choose what you sync. That is manual syncing, and what you are looking for. But no, you will not likely be charged agAin, and if you are, you will be reimbursed.

Margi
02-02-2012, 03:17 AM
Cave, closing the app at the bottom on the multitasking bar will never remove an app from your iPad. You HAVE to close these off quite regularly or your iPad won't run well. Its like having every program open and running on your computer. Even deleting an app (holding the app until it starts to wiggle and hitting the x, then saying you want to delete) does NOT remove it from your computer, it only removes it from your iPad. Once you have downloaded or bought it, you will always have it and only have to hook up and sync to retrieve it.

cave76
02-02-2012, 04:06 PM
After taking a breather from the frustration of Internet semantics (grin) I have some more questions to ask of the more than considerate members/admins here.

I need some clarification here------and I understand that different people use different words to say the same thing, but I'm a newbie at this AR/iPad thing.

Matt said:
***Removing it from the Multitasking Bar (not the dock) does not delete it from your iPad****

Margi said:

***Even deleting an app (holding the app until it starts to wiggle and hitting the x, then saying you want to delete) does NOT remove it from your computer, it only removes it from your iPad.****

Does 'removing' and 'deleting' mean two different things?

I'm not trying to be confrontational at all! Believe me. But what am I missing here?

[I googled 'ipad' and 'dock' and all I got were offers to buy a physical 'dock' to hold an iPad.]

Margi
02-02-2012, 04:43 PM
no problems asking questions, that is how we learn. When you follow someonesanes instructions that are written a few posts back, you are closing off all running programs, or 'removing it from the multi tasking bar'. This is equivalent to closing a program that is running on your computer so that your computer works better. Your iPad will work better if you regularly close these. This will not remove it from your iPad, just stop it running while you are doing other things. Sometimes you may want to delete an app altogether. Maybe you don't use it all, maybe you want to free up some space etc. To Delete the app from you iPad, you hold your finger on the app itself (NOT on the multitasking bar as described above) but on the app, it will start to wiggle, and you hit the x. The app is now removed from your iPad. HOWEVER, it is still in iTunes on your computer and can be retrieved at any time by hooking up. Next time you hook up and do as I described earlier, you should see something like the screenshot I have attached. You can scroll down the apps that are in the box on the left side. Then check what you want or don't want, then sync, bottom right. Does your screen look like this? One more thing, and at the risk of not wanting to insult you, but I had this happen to a friend of mine. On your iPad, just below the apps, you will see a tiny search icon and some dots. these dots represent how many pages of apps you have. The page you are on, will show up white, any subsequent pages are not highlighted dots. My friend was getting apps and not finding them , and then realizing they were there, but on a different page. Swipe to the left or right to change pages. She had some blank pages there too which made it more confusing. Just a thought I had afterwards to try to find the missing ArtRage. I also find it helpful, when googling , to use the whole questions, i.e.. "removing an app from my iPad" or " i downloaded an ipad2 app and can't find it" this will usually lead you to some helpful forums. 63713

cave76
02-02-2012, 05:01 PM
Margi,
Thanks!!! I'll print your reply and 'study' it to try and make sure I understand.

And thanks for being understanding. Although I'm not a tech geek, I have been able to install a wireless router, new modem, Roku, new wireless printer in the last few months so I don't feel I'm stoopid re: tech stuff that almost anyone can do. But this has me stymied!!!!

cave76
02-02-2012, 05:18 PM
Oops--- Margi, I just read through your reply and want to make sure that 'me feeling stoopid' was NOT a result of you explaining something to me. As in:
"at the risk of insulting you".

Not at all! I can feel stoopid all on my own. LOL I appreciate that little suggestion and will get around to looking at it a bit later.

Just a point though----- I have almost NO added apps on my iPad, since it's a new one. All I added, to what was already there, was ArtRage and Kindle. Kindle app still works fine---- but I never 'deleted/removed/whatever it, as I did with ArtRage.