PDA

View Full Version : A lot of help needed with iPad and script recording

Ashads
10-14-2011, 07:33 PM
I have Artrage Studio as well as Artrage for iPad.

I like doing my sketches on the computer with my intuos4 in Sketchbook pro. I had imported the sketch as a jpeg into AR for iPad from my photo library onto a layer after starting a new image and turning on the script recording. After finishing what I wanted to do on the iPad, I opened it in ARS but it didn't give me the option to change resolution. I didn't see a script file (not that I know what one looks like anyway).

What am I doing wrong? Is it that I have to start everything stroke by stroke in AR for the script recording to work?

I had changed the jpeg layer to multiply and converted it to paint if that information helps.

Please help. :(

Someonesane
10-15-2011, 01:00 AM
It sounds as though you brought the .PTG file (the one you loaded the .jpg into, and worked on with the iPad), over to your computer and opened it there, right? That would mean that ArtRage is probably still recording the script, since it remembers if you have stopped it, or not. Look for the Recording panel, and check to see if it is still recording.

It should be noted that the .jpg, you imported to a layer, will probably suffer some pixelation if you do increase the size during playback of the script. The lines being drawing by ArtRage should be nice and clear, however. I haven't tried it yet, but might be possible to move a .ptg, that is already recording, from a home computer to the ipad, without having the script stop recording. I'm not sure though, as I haven't thought to try it yet. If it can be done, it'd probably be better to resize the .ptg to the 1440 x 1440 size the ipad can handle, and then move it to the ipad to work on it, rather then flattening it to a .jpg.

Ashads
10-15-2011, 01:25 AM
Yes. It was the ptg file. How do I actually check to see if it is still recording on the iPad?

I've been having a lot of trouble figuring things out as the in program instructions as so minimal and say next to nothing about the script recording (which aside from the more realistic behavior plus having all of photoshop's blending modes is the reason I got AR and ARS - I usually use Painter)

Thank you so much for your kind help. I really do appreciate it.

Edit: I am using an iPad 2.

Someonesane
10-15-2011, 01:35 AM
As long as you had started the recording when you first started the painting (this is on the ipad), it should just keep going. Even if you save it, and come back to it later. If you're going to attempt bringing a .ptg file in from your home computer, which was saved while recording a script, I think the only way you'd know it had one is by going into the iPad's "Gallery" (the one accessed through the ArtRage App) and clicking on the send icon (rectangle with the arrow). If the image has a script, you should see an option to export the script, by itself. If there isn't an option for it, then it probably wasn't readable by the iPad.

Ashads
10-15-2011, 02:01 AM
Okay. Thank you for all of your help. I will give your suggestions a try. You've been of great assistance.

Someonesane
10-15-2011, 02:06 AM
No problem, hopefully it works out for you. I was going to try to test myself, but it turns out I need to update iTunes, and then the iPad OS as well. As much as I enjoy using my iPad, the syncing stuff gets a bit tedious, lol. Been downloading a 75mb update file for the past 20 minutes...

Ashads
10-15-2011, 02:22 AM
I know what you mean. Thankfully I had updated iTunes right when the update came out so I only had to do ios5 (which took hours). When I got to my iPod and finally managed to have it finish, I looked and my husband enough to tell him that I wasn't sitting down with his until a few more days. Lol.

I do enjoy working on my iPad though. I am amazed at how quickly I adjusted to certain "shortcomings". I cant do a work from beginning to end on it but it is nice for traveling and getting somethings done while on the go. Script recording is important to me though to have the resolutions that I want.

MattRage
10-15-2011, 03:04 AM
If script recording is turned on for an iPad painting it will remain ON unless you specifically export the PTG file to the desktop and opt to stop recording there. Basically, recording continues even if you export to the desktop then bring the PTG back to the iPad.

The instructions in the Files section of app help tell you how to export your script from the iPad - You can just use the options in the Export menu to either save a copy of the script out to iTunes or email it directly. Script recording in the PTG continues after exporting, so you can export at any point then go back and continue painting before exporting another script later.

To play the script back - Open the 'arscript' file in ArtRage on your desktop computer.

Ashads
10-15-2011, 01:47 PM
Thanks Mattrage,

I had found out how to export the script file. I must have overlooked that part (at least my 3 times reading through the instructions) but i was hoping for more information (and maybe a PDF) regarding the actual usage of the script recording in AR seeing as it is completely unfamiliar to me - as is the program itself. Forgive my oversight of it in the instructions, however.

Knowing that I can start it in the desktop with the script recording and continue it on the iPad and work back and forth is great. That piece of information is priceless to me. I can't thank you enough.

MattRage
10-15-2011, 10:15 PM
Glad to hear it's working now! If you open the help file in ArtRage on your desktop computer (Help menu, ArtRage Help option) you'll see the ArtRage Manual which has a section on how to play back scripts.