PDA

View Full Version : Basic questions about enlarging files with script player

fleurb
09-23-2011, 07:23 PM
Hi,

I recently purchased ArtRage for the iPad and love it. Now I've purchased ArtRage Studio to use the script player to enlarge my files. I have a couple of questions about using the script player:

- When working on the iPad, is it necessary to paint at a high resolution (i.e. 2048x2048) if you're going to enlarge the file later on with the script player? Would you get the same quality results if you just worked a lower resolution? The reason I ask is because the ArtRage really slows down on the iPad when working at the maximum size. It would be ideal to work "small" on the iPad then enlarge on the desktop.

- Once you've saved your script, is there a limit to how much you can enlarge your file - i.e. 100%, 200% - without sacrificing image quality?

Thanks so much!

MagenSparks
09-23-2011, 07:33 PM
My experience has been that the original doesn't have to be anything more than what the ipad default (1024x768) is and I have been able to enlarge onto my pc to as much as 1920 x 1280 (which is the max resolution for my monitor)

When I do that, it looks exactly the same, just bigger. My experiences have not had any kind of blurring that may happen when enlarging in other ways.

I have not tried anything larger, my current set up is large enough to do the projects I want to do.

MattRage
09-23-2011, 10:05 PM
Script playback avoids the image quality loss that you get when you upscale a bitmap, because your strokes are being repainted one by one with large brushes. You should find that the results lack any blurring artifacts regardless of scale.

fleurb
09-24-2011, 12:28 PM
Thanks Matt. Unfortunately I'm not getting good results with the script player.

I just tried the script player in ArtRage Studio to enlarge a painting I made on ArtRage for iPad. In the enlarged version, many of the brush strokes appear very different from my original iPad painting (particularly areas painted with the palette knife tool - they look warped).

When I play the script I get the following message:

This script may not run correctly due to unsupported features: script was built with ArtRage Studio Pro.

Does this mean I need to upgrade to Studio Pro to get the script to play properly?

DaveRage
09-25-2011, 10:45 PM
That message is a side effect of the existence some of the features in the iPad version. Could you please email the script file to me at support@artrage.com together with an exported png from the original iPad painting and a description of what size you're playing it back at? This should enable me to see what's happening for you there.

fleurb
09-26-2011, 06:52 PM
Hi Dave,
I sent the files & information you requested to support@artrage.com yesterday. The subject line of my email was:
Message for DaveRage on ArtRage Forum from fleurb
Thanks for your help!
fleurb