PDA

View Full Version : Getting prints made

Marilyn Anne
08-20-2011, 09:05 PM
Hi, I have done a large number of paintings with art rage. I decided I wanted to get some prints made and thus far I haven't done very well. The colors are off, it is hard for me to navigate all the upload requirements, so I am getting frustrated with the whole thing. I have a Kodak gallery, dropbox and Facebook photo file besides a picture file on my desktop,in Outlook, and of course a file in art rage and just my picture file on my iPad . I tried a wrapped 8/10 canvas, a photo book, just a print and yuk! Hey, out there what are you doing besides emailing pictures to your friends. Getting any good prints somewhere? Love to hear . Marilyn Anne

ClawShrimp
08-21-2011, 12:43 AM
I've printed a few books with www.blurb.com which turned out reasonably well, albeit darker than I expected. I've also had two large canvas printed with www.bigw.com.au (Australia only, I believe) which turned out far more impressive than I expected.

suziQ54241
08-21-2011, 01:22 PM
I've done canvas on demand, blurb, magcloud, and print my own with an Epson R1900 large format printer. I DO take my artrage work into Photoshop first and usually boost contrast a bit and sometimes sharpen if it's a drawing. On a whole my color is good. (I use an imac as home computer)

Marilyn Anne
08-21-2011, 05:23 PM
I am going to try Walgreens again with a simpler picture. It seems a shame to have so much work and so few outlets for it. I had thought of notecards and such but the trail has been discouraging at best. I painted for many years in oils, watercolors etc. I felt newly challenged with this new media. It has been inspiring to see what all I could do. Thanks. Marilyn Anne

suziQ54241
08-21-2011, 05:52 PM
Yes try again, at some point you might want to look at the Epson Dash, it's a 4 x 6 inch photo printer, I prefer the matt finish paper and cartridge over the glossy. Then I glue them to card stock and make my own postcards. They look terrific. It costs about 30 per print. I find right out of the iPad and through your computer or a thumb drive it works perfectly without futzing.

Marilyn Anne
08-21-2011, 06:11 PM
I am going to try canvas on demand and the idea of a decent printer is a good one. Thanks, Marilyn

limey-g
08-21-2011, 06:17 PM
It is possible to get decent work printed , this is a photo of a painting kindly done by VanityX for us of our girl Holly.
I had it printed at my local small print store on their large Xerox machine and it came out great.
The colours were spot on.
( I guess I should plug my old company, I was a technician with them for almost forty years ).
Regards Geoff

MagenSparks
08-21-2011, 06:51 PM
I haven't had much printed elsewhere, but my printer does ok. I have yet to do anything large enough scale for a company print.

I did want to say that I have noticed that the colors on the iPad are slightly off compared to a PC version. Most people wouldn't notice, but to we who deal in colors... it's pretty apparent.

I was able to somewhat compensate for that by way of my monitor settings that allowed me to set the colors to emulate a Mac. The colors weren't off quite as much since I've done that. Though, occasionally, I see a hint of green in blue and blue in purple... but it's so very slight now.

It has been mentioned on other websites as well and this is across all iPads (to my knowledge). Keep looking, you will find the right place for your work. Sometimes you have to go to a lot of places.

Marilyn Anne
08-22-2011, 12:12 PM
My thanks to all who have so kindly responded. I will keep trying. Marilyn

Rattletrap
08-24-2011, 06:59 AM
Hi Marilyn--

I shared your disillusionment with Walgreens (and Walmart, too). I'm new to iPad and still having issues with the ungainly syncing process, etc. Emailing paintings from Photos resulted in downsampled pictures, as did transferring the files via iTunes (an insanely convoluted process, IMO). I finally scored with PhotoPad (free), then opened the images in PS, converted from PNG to JPG (unnecessary), loaded them onto an SD card swiped from my camera and took them to FedEx/Kinko's.

My purpose was to discover the whole deal about printing art from the iPad. I took 4 images-- a jpeg and a png each of an image on a canvas set at 1024 x 768 and the same of an image set at 2048 x 1536. I specified 10 inches by 8 inches in all cases. Here's what I found: Kinko's imported the images into Photoshop, and printed them from there. As mentioned, whether they were jpegs or pngs seemed irrelevant, mooting that part of the experiment. Jpegs did result in a smaller file size.

Most interesting to me was the print resolution--96 DPI for the 1024 x 768 and 192 DPI for the 2048 x 1536. The higher resolution images produced beautiful results, certainly good enough to sell. The lower res files were slightly pixellated, but this was only noticeable on very fine lines with my nose nearly touching the paper.

My extrapolated conclusion is that once you get the file out of the iPad in full original resolution, prints up to 20 x 20 are not out of the question provided your viewer doesn't have a magnifier.

I'd appreciate hearing about more printing results!

-- Tim

Rattletrap
08-24-2011, 07:07 AM
It is possible to get decent work printed , this is a photo of a painting kindly done by VanityX for us of our girl Holly.
I had it printed at my local small print store on their large Xerox machine and it came out great.
The colours were spot on.
( I guess I should plug my old company, I was a technician with them for almost forty years ).
Regards Geoff

Geoff--

What size is that print, and what resolution was your canvas set to? Great work, btw!

--Tim

suziQ54241
08-24-2011, 02:03 PM
Great and needed experiment. Thank you. I have also done a little printing primer based on my work. Granted the samples are SketchBook Pro but it would work the same for ArtRage. See here. http://www.sketchbooknews.com/news/printing-tips.html

Rattletrap
08-24-2011, 08:01 PM
For the true geek, I should add a clarification or two:

In the experiment detailed above, while I specified that the images be printed in 8 x 10 format, the tech specified "Shrink to fit media". As a consequence, the actual printed image on letter-size (8 1/2" x 11") paper measures 8 x 10.625, giving it an aspect ratio of 1.3281, very close to the actual pixel aspect of 1.3333. In fact, the error is likely due to my reading of the Stanley tape measure I used. Just in case anyone's counting. :)

Also, I believe I implied that mailing paintings to myself resulted in downsampling. While this apparently happens when you send a painting to Photos (or when you subsequently mail it from Photos), paintings emailed directly from ArtRage are delivered full res. Sorry for the fuzziness. I'm still trying to get my head around this business. :)

--Tim

Rattletrap
08-24-2011, 08:05 PM
Great and needed experiment. Thank you. I have also done a little printing primer based on my work. Granted the samples are SketchBook Pro but it would work the same for ArtRage. See here. ...

Great article, Suzi!

limey-g
08-25-2011, 11:32 AM
Hi the print was 14 inch by something when printed out, as to the settings for the painting you should send a message to VanityX as she painted this for me so she could answer those questions for you.
Thanks Geoff

Geoff--

What size is that print, and what resolution was your canvas set to? Great work, btw!

--Tim

Rattletrap
08-25-2011, 04:19 PM
Hi the print was 14 inch by something when printed out, as to the settings for the painting you should send a message to VanityX as she painted this for me so she could answer those questions for you.
Thanks Geoff

Ah, ok. I'm new and thought VanityX was a printing firm. :)

Marilyn Anne
08-26-2011, 05:20 PM
I appreciate your input. I guess I am experimenting too. Have to see how it all turns out. Thanks . Marioyn

Margi
10-14-2011, 01:33 PM
I just printed out the painting titled "Ollie" that I posted a while back. I printed it small on my own hp all in one (which I HATE) and it came out perfectly. Then I tried it on my hubbys new colour photocopier at the print shop and was not expecting much,....boy was I surprised! It is huge in its original size, and looks amazing. I was very impressed.