PDA

View Full Version : any suggestion on a new tablet?

milan2005
04-25-2006, 08:14 AM
i wanna buy a tablet under $150

is 12"x9" big nuff?

any suggestion????

support tilt is important.

justG
05-05-2006, 03:14 AM
The only tablet recommendation most digital artists will give you is a Wacom. Therefore, you have to choose: either $150 or 12x9. If you're stuck to the $150 price point, go with a 4x5 Graphire 4. If you'd rather save up and get the tablet that's the right size for the way you work, then go with an Intuos3. When it comes to graphics tablets, bigger is not necessarily better. It depends on how much real estate you have and how you paint/draw/sketch. The wizard on the Wacom web site is pretty good at recommending the appropriate size for you based on monitor size, real estate, and how you work. If you tend to make large, sweeping motions when you create, then the bigger tablet will probably suit you. Most of the people to whom I've spoken over the years (I've been using one Wacom tablet or another for over 10 years) agree that the 6x8 (or the new 6x11 for widescreen/dual displays) is just the right size. Those who have tried the 12x9 tablet have complained of fatigue after a while of using it.

Of course, your mileage may vary. But I wouldn't suggest sacrificing quality (functionality, comfort, compatibility, usability, availability [additional accessories]) to get a bigger tablet for a cheaper price; in the long run, it's just not worth it.

Good luck with your decision.

- Gita

BigK
05-05-2006, 04:10 AM
For surely Wacom is the way to go. Most software supports Wacom, unlike other tablets. My wife and myself have the Intuos3 6x8 and 9x12 tablets. We upgraded from the Graphire as it was too small and limiting for doing finer artwork. As I recall, the Graphire tablet has about half amount of pressure sensitivity levels as the Intuos3.
Regarding what size to get; we found that the 6x8 is the ideal size to work with. I got the 9x12, as I am a bigger guy and I thought I would need a bigger tablet. On the contrary, I find that when I use my wife's 6x8 tablet, it seems to work perfectly for my needs. It is faster, as you don't have cover as much surface area and it doesn't take up as much space on your desk. The 9x12 can get wearisome at times as is slower. If I were to buy again, I would of gotten 2 6x8's. After all, it is also much cheaper. One last thing; the Intuos3 also has the touch key strips which come in very handy while working.
Save up and get am Intuos3 6x8. You won't regret it. I hope I don't sound like I am working for Wacom or something!? Happy painting!

samIambic
05-20-2006, 12:31 AM
High Folks,

This is my 1st. post and after browsing around and seeing the quality of the work here I'm really pleased to be here. I sure wish I'd seen these posts a couple of days ago tho. I sold a guitar to be able to buy an Intous 3 and ordered it a couple of days ago. I ordered the 9x12.... I have no experience with graphics tablets so when I found a great deal on the 9x12 I jumped on it. I guess we'll see.

I've had the free ArtRage for a few months and really enjoyed it, despite the frustration of going at it with a mouse. I bought the new version yesterday and am amazed at how fast it is. Haven't had time to really play with it yet. I'm really glad you are all here tho as I'm sure I'll need help with both the new software and the new tablet, when it gets here.

As soon as I figure out how, I'll post some pics of some of my past art that I had put on a CD from slides, most of which is pretty old, and allot of which was sculptural but hey.... I did allot with Artists Books too which is a direction I'd like to bring, kicking and screaming into this computer age, at which I'm a true novice.

I'll go now,

XOXO,
sam

justG
05-20-2006, 06:23 AM
Hey, welcome to the forums, sam! Don't feel badly about the tablet. See how you feel when it gets there, it might be just the thing for you. There are many for whose broad strokes and big arm movements the 9x12 tablet is perfectly suited. And if it turns out that it's just too big, you'll easily be able to sell it and get a 6x8 or 6x11 instead (and have money left over to put toward another guitar, eh?).

Happy to have you here. =]

- Gita

drzeller
05-20-2006, 06:37 PM
Thought I have never don eit, I believe you can also define the area on the tablet that is mapped to the screen. This would allow you to have a smaller working area on the tablet that matches your preferences.

Besides, you may find having a larger area is great for you!

Enjoy!

D.

samIambic
05-20-2006, 07:25 PM
Yo Gita, thanks so much for the welcome and the encouragement. I was thinking much the same as to selling it if it doesn't work out. I'm really excited about getting it tho, like a kid at Xmas. I have other guitars too...
I've enjoyed your comments and Artwork while browsing the forums and look forward to more of the same.

D. thanks for the reply. While mucking about in the MacAlert web site earlier I found a reference to what, I think, you were getting at. Something about narrowing the size you work on, on the tablet, which sounds promising, altho, like most of what I find on that site, I didn't understand a word of it. It's a cool site tho, I think?!?

This is a cooler site tho...

Thanks again, both of you,

XOXO,
sam

thesleepless
05-21-2006, 04:31 AM
i use a 4x5" graphire 2 and it's plenty big enough for me, i've tried the larger ones and they're just too big i think, but i'm sure it comes down to how you work, the intuos's buttons and tilt would be cool though if you can afford it

samIambic
05-21-2006, 02:06 PM
Hey Sleepless,

Yeah, I thot I researched the whole thing really well but there you go.... So here's the biggest kick in the butt, I belong to the AWUG, (Appleworks Users Group) and I got a newsletter yesterday informing me that group members could get an incredible deal on Graphire 3 4x5's & 6x8's as Wacom is discontinuing the model and only doing the Graph. 4's. You might want to check the Wacom site and see if they are selling them at a discount to everyone?!?

Thanks for the feedback too.

sam