PDA

View Full Version : Lesson learned in recording script

J Witt
08-10-2011, 08:20 PM
The new ability to play back paintings done on the iPad was greatly appreciated. I was seriously thinking about purchasing Brushes just for this feature alone. However now that this feature has been added to ArtRage iPad I don't need to worry about it any more. now to get to my point. I was watching a script I had recorded and the painting suddenly jumped to the left side of the screen at a 90 degree angle. It was at this point in the painting that I had flipped the switch to lock the orientation so I could pick up the iPad and paint without the tools constantly flipping around on the screen. So lesson learned do not lock the orientation of the iPad if you are recording and like to paint in a landscape orientation.

DaveRage
08-10-2011, 09:45 PM
Thanks for reporting this! I'll take a look at it here and add it to our bug list so we can fix it for an update.

MagenSparks
08-10-2011, 11:32 PM
I had something similar happen, but I did not lock the orientation.

suziQ54241
08-11-2011, 12:16 AM
My test flipped about 50% into playback and I also didn't flip the canvas or iPad at any time during painting.

DaveRage
08-11-2011, 12:23 AM
Thanks for the extra details. We've got some ideas and are looking into it. If the painting session was stopped and continued at any point and the painting reopened, if the iPad was at a different orientation, a painting orientation change may have been recorded, even if the iPad wasn't rotated during actual painting. We're going to look at removing orientation changes from script recording.

suziQ54241
08-11-2011, 02:02 AM
I do remember leaving the app once, it may have been at that 50% mark.

MagenSparks
08-11-2011, 04:42 PM
I recall leaving the application once too.

ClawShrimp
08-15-2011, 02:00 AM
Just a couple of examples, which might help you pinpoint the problem.

If I draw in landscape mode, the ‘video’ starts correctly in the center of my screen, but eventually flips to portrait, and shifts to the far left of the screen.

If I draw in portrait mode, the ‘video’ starts correctly in the center of my screen, but eventually shifts to the far left side of the screen.

Incidentally, at no point did I:
-Lock/unlock my screen.
-Rotate my screen at all.
-Save (not until the end).
-Close and reopen the app.

I simply started and completed images in one sitting on a stationary iPad.

Don't worry...I'm not complaining, as this wasn't a deciding factor when purchasing ArtRage. I LOVE THIS APP! :)

DaveRage
08-15-2011, 02:53 AM
Thanks for the feedback everyone! We'll be removing rotation from iPad script recording for the next update which should solve this.

ClawShrimp
08-15-2011, 03:12 AM
Fantastic!

Any chance of Script playback on the iPad 2 itself? For coolness factor for than anything.

DaveRage
08-15-2011, 05:04 AM
Currently we're not looking at that specifically, but thanks for the suggestion, it's always possible we'll consider it in the future!

ClawShrimp
08-17-2011, 12:25 AM
Is there any way to manually edit the script file to remove the rotations and correct the problem on a case-by-case basis?

I'm now trying to record a training video, and am willing to put in the extra time; but I don't know what to look for in the script file.

Incidentally, it's not just the rotation of the canvas that's a problem when watching iPad scripts back on my desktop PC. It's also canvas position and size. The 'video' will start centered, and the canvas fits my screen vertically (768 pixels). But at a random point the canvas position shifts to the far left of my screen, and the canvas size resets to the original images resolution, in this case significantly more than my vertical resolution (1024 pixels).

I'm happy to send you a script file if it helps.

Someonesane
08-17-2011, 02:20 AM
Is there any way to manually edit the script file to remove the rotations and correct the problem on a case-by-case basis?

I'm now trying to record a training video, and am willing to put in the extra time; but I don't know what to look for in the script file.

Incidentally, it's not just the rotation of the canvas that's a problem when watching iPad scripts back on my desktop PC. It's also canvas position and size. The 'video' will start centered, and the canvas fits my screen vertically (768 pixels). But at a random point the canvas position shifts to the far left of my screen, and the canvas size resets to the original images resolution, in this case significantly more than my vertical resolution (1024 pixels).

I'm happy to send you a script file if it helps.

You could comment out the lines that make the rotation and canvas movements, in a text editor. In Notepad++ (http://notepad-plus-plus.org/), there is a "Replace" feature (hit Ctrl + F, to bring up the Find panel, and then select Replace), that allows for finding, and selecting any instances of a certain line of text, and replacing it with whichever text you'd like. All you'd need to do, is find one instance of the code, select it, and open the Replace panel, and add comment lines ("//") before the code, and hit enter. The program will then loop through the entire script, replacing all the lines so that they would be commented out (so still there, but skipped over when played back), and will only take a matter of seconds.

In the screen shot below, you can see the line of code that you are looking for (selected in gray, where the red text says "The type of code that needs to be skipped"), and the Replace panel in Notepad++. Be sure to do this on a COPY of the original script, so you'll have a backup in case something should go wrong.

ClawShrimp
08-17-2011, 02:25 AM
I haven't had a chance to test this (will do so when I get home), but your instructions are crystal clear and very do-able. Cheers!

Someonesane
08-17-2011, 02:40 AM
Good luck :) Hope it works out okay (it did well on my test here, so it should be good to go).

ClawShrimp
08-17-2011, 01:16 PM
This was incredibly easy to do, and it worked like a charm.

Thank you
Thank you
Thank you

Someonesane
08-17-2011, 01:29 PM
No problem. Happy it worked it out for you :).

Richollander
12-07-2011, 04:39 PM
I second the request to be able to play back scripts on the iPad. That would be terrific!

Farwander
02-03-2012, 01:15 AM
I second the request to be able to play back scripts on the iPad. That would be terrific!

I'm not going to say I'd choose this as my top priority for features, but the two BIGGEST "whoa/wow" factors I have found in demoing artwork on an iPad/iPhone have been:

1 - showing ArtRage in action, especially blending.
2 - showing playback of progress on a work created in Brushes (and the sole reason I keep Brushes on my devices now)

Artists and novices alike seem to really enjoy seeing how a work develops over time. In fact, if you DO incorporate this feature in a future version, I'd further recommend that you include the artwork created on ArtRage's splash screen... and the ability to play back its creation as a WIP demo.

DaveRage
02-03-2012, 01:30 AM
One of the reasons for not playing back scripts on the iPad is that script playback is more demanding for a range of reasons, and the iPad is a low memory device. Problems are more likely to occur where memory just isn't available to properly perform playback, so we use desktop machines for this. That's not to say we're ruling out the possibility, it's just a limitation we have to bear in mind.