PDA

View Full Version : lagging - watercolour

ekomc
06-08-2011, 03:40 PM
Hi,
The watercolour tool lags very badly (few seconds) and the oil brush lags a little. How can I resolve it? I'm using the first generation ipad and just bought ArtRage1.1.6 today.

I read the forum, restarted the ipad (so memory should be clear right?) and used AR again, but the lagging remains.

Please help. Thanks!

AndyRage
06-08-2011, 08:45 PM
The water-colour paint simulation on the iPad is an extremely complex and processor-intensive system. It is by far the most computionally expensive of the ArtRage paint simulations. And then on top of the paint dynamics a 3D rendered surface for lighting interaction is applied to the paint and canvas. It pushes the processing power of the iPad to its absolute limit. As a result the simulation often does lag behind on fast strokes.
We didn't want to compromise on the quality of the watercolour tool for the iPad.

On the iPad 2 we've been able to take advantage of multi-threading on the dual processors so the simulation is more responsive.

There isn't much we can do to improve the performance of the watercolour on the iPad 1 - to get that wet blending of diffuse paint just takes lots of CPU cycles.
If you use the instant-dry setting of the watercolour is may be slightly faster, but it wont give the nice diffuse blending.

You could also consider using your iPad for 'roughing out' your ideas for watercolours, then use your desktop version of ArtRage Studio Pro for the final quality painting. Painting files are fully transportable between the iPad version and desktop version of ArtRage using iTunes.

Rowena
06-09-2011, 09:41 AM
Its a bummer about the lagging on that 1st IPad...
..and so this reply is probably not useful to you, but I nevertheless wanted to verify the W/C performance on the iPad2 - which is amazing. Its instantly responsive - with no lag whatsoever.

I actually purchased this iPad to be a portable-digital sketchbook and am very pleased with the performance of ARage on it! I also bought some other arty apps, but AR works the best + has the best UI too - nice and clean looking and very quick and easy to use. Great thanks to the ARTeam!
Just my 2cents :)

anwarallie
07-11-2011, 12:57 PM
I bought artrage for my iPad 2 and I find the watercolor brush lags considerably forcing me to paint very slowly when I use it. It's not a memory issue. Perhaps an update and fix in the near future?
Thanks for a greatvapp though. I've tried quite a few art apps this one has everything I need in one app.