PDA

View Full Version : Wrong color calibration

tickbite
05-29-2011, 04:16 PM
Hi, I'm new to the forums but decided to give it a go. I've been fiddling with ArtRage for iPad for a few weeks now, but so far all the paintings I've done have turned out in wrong colors after I transfer them to the computer. I usually email them directly from my iPad 2 to my Windows 7 PC. Does anyone know why the colors change along the way?

Usually, it seems, the blues disappear and the paintings get a sort of reddish tinge.

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks!

tickbite
05-29-2011, 05:31 PM
I've done a bit of extra research and I have to apologize to ArtRage - it appears to be an iPad issue. I took a screenshot of the picture in artrage and it looks the same on my computer.

So I suppose I'll have to do something about the iPad color management. I know this doesn't really belong in an ArtRage forum, but if anyone has an idea of what I can do, let me know ...

Pictures look fine on the iPad when transferred from the PC, but if I return them to the computer they are off. Funny thing is, it only concerns images created with the iPad (like in ArtRage) but not with photos that originally came from the computer.

Someonesane
05-29-2011, 07:31 PM
Have you tried bringing the .PTG made on the iPad, over to your PC and opening with ArtRage there (or is that what you have been doing)?

tickbite
05-29-2011, 07:48 PM
Well, I usually only transfer the picture as a PNG file to the computer, but it doesn't work with the PTG file either. The colors remain wrong. I checked with other apps too. The colors are wrong in all my painting apps. I suspect that it has something to do with the iPad settings, but I can't find anything ...

I found this iPad tool called SpyderGallery which is for color calibration of the iPad. I wonder if this can fix it (haven't tried it yet).

tickbite
05-30-2011, 05:46 AM
Here's a picture so can see what I mean:

I haven't posted enough to post links or pictures here, so this is a google-shortened url. You'll have to add the url "goo.gl/" in front of the code: qLyGU

The image on the right is the PNG file I sent to my computer. On the left is a photo I took of my iPad. All the blue colors become a horrible purple upon exporting. Any ideas?

(It's a helium atom with quarks, in case you want to know. ;-)

Someonesane
05-30-2011, 01:55 PM
Here's tickbites image for anyone else wanting to see it:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/23164545/helium-comparison.jpg
That seems like a large shift in the colors. I haven't experienced anything to that extent yet, but then, I haven't really completed an image yet. I've just been doodling to get the hang of the app. It's strange how that one blue hue seems to have been hit so hard, while the others only changed slightly.

suziQ54241
05-30-2011, 08:32 PM
WOW that is really weird. I've posted lots of ArtRage and SketchBook Pro work and I don't have a color shift like that at all. I just checked my settings on my iPad and don't see anything that would adjust color. Are you near an apple store?

DaveRage
05-31-2011, 12:10 AM
One thought: Check your iPad settings 'Brightness and Wallpaper' in case your iPad is set especially bright, I'm wondering if that could be an issue.

Regarding images: If you want to add images to your posts, you can do so by using 'Manage attachments' when you add a post, that will upload images directly.

Neat painting by the way!

tickbite
05-31-2011, 07:12 AM
I've been using my iPad with "auto adjust brightness". That may be a general problem if using a painting application, I suppose so maybe I should change that. But I don't see how it can create such "wrong" colors. I've tried tweaking the appearance of the painting on the iPad to recreate that purple effect, but I get nowhere near these colors.

It can't be my PC monitor either because the purple colors look the same on other monitors.

Do you think it could be a hardware problem of the iPad? I can go check the iPad at an Apple store, but I'm having the feeling it's more of a settings issue. Unfortunately there aren't many settings available other than brightness. Also, photos sent to my iPad appear perfectly fine there so the colors can't be that bad ...

Thanks for the help and suggestions by the way. :)

tickbite
06-07-2011, 02:57 PM
I found another thread that seems to have a similar problem I do, only not on an iPad but a Fujitsu tablet (thread no. 31116 in Technical - sorry, I still can't post links).

As for my troubles, I went to an Apple store to compare their iPads on display with mine and found that the problem I have appears on every single one. Painting an image on an iPad produces colors that are slightly off once transferred to a properly calibrated PC monitor. Most noticeable is the effect (for me) with the following colors: #8200a4 and #5300e5 - and I bet that anyone painting with those two colors will be able to tell that it looks different (i.e. more pink-ish) on a PC than on an iPad. I couldn't replicate the color indigo in ArtRage using the proper RGB values for indigo.

Anyway, it doesn't seem to be an ArtRage problem but rather an iOS problem, because now that I was on to it, I checked my iPod and the colors look identical (identically wrong) on both Apple devices. So unless ArtRage adds their own color management tool, I suppose we will have to live with the calibration of Apple's iOS, right? I'm just wondering why so few people have complained so far. Do the colors mentioned above look correct on anybody's iPad?

For now, does anyone know of a workaround? Some way I can get the colors on a PC to display in Apple's "not-quite-sRGB mode"? Once exported to ArtRage for PC or Photoshop it should be easy to save them in the proper sRGB format ...

monsterblues
06-07-2011, 08:43 PM
I can confirm this. I guess I don't really ever paint with dark blues and purples.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2904948/Sketches/colorsiPad.jpg

tickbite
06-10-2011, 03:30 PM
I'm glad I'm not the only one. Thanks for the screenshot. Funny thing is, I never paint in purple either, and the crisp strong blues look fine on the PC. So it's just this netherworld of purpl-ish blues that looks wrong.

Next painting will have a lot of grass in it.

MagenSparks
06-10-2011, 08:19 PM
I'm seeing some of this, but not quite as drastic as the ones you've shown. I will say, I did some reading and there are other programs which are having similar issues on the iPad.

So you're most certainly not alone. ;)

BTadlock
02-15-2012, 12:58 PM
I found this thread and I'm having the same issues. the iPad paintings I just imported via the recording script are very dark and color "burned"/"saturated". It seems to be the same problem as what's listed here but I don't see an solution.
Has anyone come up with anything since this thread was started?

I guess I could save it, import to Photoshop and try adjusting there, but would prefer not to have to do so.

Thanks for any thoughts.

-Brett

DaveRage
02-15-2012, 10:25 PM
This is because the iPad screen colorspace is different from your desktop machine and unfortunately will happen in other apps as well when transferring files from the iPad. Adjusting the colors in another application ( or via Edit -> Adjust layer colours in Studio Pro for a specific layer ) is probably going to be the best option.